Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2016, 11:00   #8071
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift_guy View Post
And our laws ban the use of mobile phones while driving. DVD HUs, mobile holders (often used for attaching mobile phone to watch videos here in NCR) and these screens are free to use.

While using mobile phones, at least our eyes are on the road. And keeping eyes on the road is "the least" a good driver should do.
Laws ? Jokes you mean ?
Old 26th January 2016, 12:00   #8072
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift_guy View Post
And our laws ban the use of mobile phones while driving. DVD HUs, mobile holders (often used for attaching mobile phone to watch videos here in NCR) and these screens are free to use.

While using mobile phones, at least our eyes are on the road. And keeping eyes on the road is "the least" a good driver should do.
I disagree with this. Speaking on the phone is also equally as bad as watching a video. You will have all your concentration on the subject of the call and driving will become less attentive. I dont think there is a superbrain that can both concentrate on a call and still drive attentively. I even refrain from serious conversations even with co passengers Except for the ayes and nos and while in traffic or signals etc. Maybe my concentration power is less. And if you are holding the phone in your hand, that also reduces your controls by 1/4th. Yes we all can steer single handedly, but still it doesnt mean that the other hand finds no use.

It is the installers that are to be blamed. Either the video should pause when handbrake is not engaged, or like in OE systems it should play only when vehicle isnt moving. These fools hardwire it to some source making the system think that the handbrake is always engaged.

Manufacturers provide entertainment devices with some requisites and expectations from the customer end. But these dimwit cabbies will never learn even if they crash. All they think is which is the cheapest way they can get the car moving on the road.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2016, 13:31   #8073
BHPian

Let me share the experience of what happened on Sunday night two days ago. Sunday night on NH 45 towards chennai side = mount road effect. the highway looks like a relatively free mount road with scores of cars darting in and out to reach home. When I was returning the same way from ulundurpet toll gate towards villupuram , we ,a group of 7 unrelated cars and few trucks at front were going closely at around 60-70 kmph when there was a need for applying sudden brake. All the drivers were stunned and were checking whether they stopped or wasn't rammed from behind by the one behind due to it. Even myself and my wife had palpitations because of the close call. Few seconds later ,after inching for a little , saw a tractor with full loaded sugarcane trailer on the faster lane in the opposite direction with high beams on standing still. That moron could've caused a good sized pileup that night. But thank god,nothing bad happened and everyone were alert enough to brake promptly though we were within inches from each other.
printh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2016, 14:50   #8074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I disagree with this. Speaking on the phone is also equally as bad as watching a video. You ............ expectations from the customer end. But these dimwit cabbies will never learn even if they crash. All they think is which is the cheapest way they can get the car moving on the road.
I agree. I actually meant that government should ban all sources which can divert one's attention while driving rather than only banning mobile phones. I was saying that these gadgets are more deadly than a mobile as one needs to take eyes off the road (which is as bad as having 1/4th control by holding a mobile).

I am sorry if I sounded like "using mobile phones is better and shouldn't be banned" in my previous post!

Last edited by swift_guy : 26th January 2016 at 14:52.
swift_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2016, 15:49   #8075
BHPian

While the authorities are strict to some extent , they are not strict in controlling people who break signals , who stop way ahead of the line at signals, who cut lanes suddenly ,who honk obsessively for no reason, double parking, etc. These are things , yes small things , that in the long run would make a huge difference to the experience of driving on our roads. Its not just the illiterate , its the well educated and the affluent who are culprits also. The authorities should take care of these things and impose fines on this too. I have always noticed how people never stop or give way for ambulances. Infact when i move to the side or slow down people behind me are frantically honking so that they can go ahead of me without considering there is an ambulance trying to save a life. There are many more ways you can spot these bad drivers. These are just a few. Its a sad state of affairs on our roads. And it should change.
raycers_honda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 09:33   #8076
BHPian

Travelling on the wrong way of a one way street.
@Iblur service road.

Driving an expensive car doesn't necessarily give you the brains for it. Who knew.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-nn8q5ox.png
Old 27th January 2016, 13:25   #8077
Team-BHP Support

This was one of the WORST drivers, I have ever encountered on the Hyderabad ORR.

Total reckless and horrible road manners

Irony was that despite being such a pathetic excuse, he was never more than 2 car lengths in front of me all the way till the Hyderabad Raheja MindSpace circle.

What is the point of driving like this if you can't get ahead in traffic.

He even has a outstanding traffic challan from December for speeding on the ORR.
bblost is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 14:26   #8078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
This was one of the WORST drivers, I have ever encountered on the Hyderabad ORR...
Déjà vu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Encountered this extreme case of insanity, white Renault Fluence, KA-02-MH-7848 on 25th Dec, somewhere before Krishnagiri on NH-7
I've come across many such morons, sometimes I smoke them into oblivion, sometimes I pull over for a break to give them a feeling of winning a race. After all, for these "ricers", all that matters is they're winning - whether you're racing or not, or whether it's on a race-track or on a public road etc are never their concern.

Last edited by silversteed : 27th January 2016 at 14:49. Reason: removed embedded video.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 19:18   #8079
Senior - BHPian

This happened today at SV Road near Bandra Talao. The signal is such that both directions remain on at the same time and then both stop and allow both sides to take U turns. The signal changed, a rick in front of me took the turn then I started to take mine when an i10 driven at around 40-50 goes through the opposite signal and brakes inches away from the side of my car. I continued my turn and stopped a bit further ahead and parked the car, meanwhile the decent, educated, 40-something looking guy in the i10 has pulled up alongside me and rolls down his window giving me the "stare of doom". I also roll down my window and look at him. Before he can open his mouth I say to him " Boss instead of staring at me you should be staring at the signal !". The "stare of doom" fades and is replaced with a flustered look and the chap drives off because he has nothing to say to that.
Mortis is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 19:48   #8080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Boss instead of staring at me you should be staring at the signal !". The "stare of doom" fades and is replaced with a flustered look and the chap drives off because he has nothing to say to that.
+1. Wonderful retort! This is common occurrence in our part of town, with people jumping signal and staring at vehicles in compliance with signal!
Old 28th January 2016, 10:44   #8081
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
This was one of the WORST drivers, I have ever encountered on the Hyderabad ORR.

Total reckless and horrible road manners

Irony was that despite being such a pathetic excuse, he was never more than 2 car lengths in front of me all the way till the Hyderabad Raheja MindSpace circle.

What is the point of driving like this if you can't get ahead in traffic.
whoa! where did he come in from?
Old 28th January 2016, 16:08   #8082
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Before he can open his mouth I say to him " Boss instead of staring at me you should be staring at the signal !". The "stare of doom" fades and is replaced with a flustered look and the chap drives off because he has nothing to say to that.
I was on the receiving end, one day. I shouted at a biker, cutting across me: they just pointed at the signal that had changed in their favour. Yep. I was embarrassed.
Old 29th January 2016, 19:27   #8083
BHPian

Today saw this bad (or shall I say Mad) driver on Surajkund road, driving an Esteem (DL9CP3579). Sad thing is that he had a fake LTD sticker on rear left door.

This fellow had the bulbs in tail lights at wrong positions (on braking, reverse light lits up and brake lights blink for indicator/hazard). I was behind him in my Activa for almost 2 kms (in traffic) and was everytime he applied the brake!!

Maybe this setup is for rear-ending cabbies, but was quite scary for the people following him.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1454075792168.jpg

Last edited by swift_guy : 29th January 2016 at 19:33.
Old 29th January 2016, 23:01   #8084
Senior - BHPian

Its time to increase the fees for getting LL and DL for white boards, for approving a DL the RTO inspectors should take the student drivers to places like Tin factory, Silkboard junction during peak hour traffic to test their skills.
Old 29th January 2016, 23:15   #8085
Senior - BHPian

Was witness to a super scene today.

It was early in the morning, around 6.30ish. There were only a handful of vehicles plying on the road, yet the signal lights were turned on.
At one such 'red', I stopped and so did an Esteem driven by a young fellow of African origin. The timer was around 40 secs, when along came a Skoda driven by a well dressed middle aged man. The fellow didn't seem to realise the fact that 'red light means stop' and gave quite a few rapid, angry bursts of honks, urging us to move on as the road was pretty much empty.
The honking was starting to get on my nerves, when the African origin guy got down from his car.
Sensing a confrontation I began to unbuckle my helmet, when the guy calmly pointed to the red light, coolly said, "Its red man" and got back in his car.

Oh and the look on the Skoda guy's face.. Priceless, I tell you!
schakravarthy is offline   (18) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks