Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2016, 13:09   #8356
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
... all these photos of all wrong parkings cannot be taken at face value unless one sees the car getting parked. Reminds me of this joke
That's so very true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
Quite possible, but unless it was the last parking in the entire place I wouldn't park next to badly parked vehicle due to this very reason. Hours later my car would still be parked badly and I won't be able to justify why.
Quote:
That's totally impractical - why should I be worried about what others would think!! If at that moment, that was the most logical thing to do, then I would do it
On a weekend, it's not prudent to go driving all over the parking lot in a bid to find a "clean" parking slot. Not everyone who's trailing us will be patient. There will be this self-styled VVIP and family in his big SUV, an impatient dude with his girlfriend who're getting late for their romantic movie in the multiplex, the local Hrithik Roshan or Simbu or Nivin Pauly or Upendra or whoever with his gang of monkeys in a "maadified" car playing loud music, and all these characters won't go easy on the Horn button nor would they refrain from spewing expletives if we're driving slow, looking for that perfect slot.

It's wrong to double-park, it's wrong to cross the parking slot markings, but let's cut some slack and be a little considerate. Nobody is perfect
silversteed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2016, 13:17   #8357
BHPian

Which is why I said I wouldn't do it. But it's definitely not the logical thing to do.
Old 28th May 2016, 13:38   #8358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Check out the right side of the video :

This is in Hinjewadi, Pune. This is much before a section of the road where cops use traffic cones to allow two wheelers to use the right side during peak hours.
I am horrified to see this. This is atrocious. People are driving on the wrong side with absolute disdain! It seems more like a norm than an exception

The more I see traffic in any part of India, the more I believe we have completely lost it.

Last edited by Zappo : 30th May 2016 at 14:14. Reason: Typo corrected
pratyush6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 11:58   #8359
BHPian

So, here's my experience with a consistent BAD DRIVER:

A guy in my building, who shall remain nameless since I haven't bothered knowing his name (who goes by many adjectives which I choose not to enunciate here), consistently parks in the most horrible fashion:
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-rt1.jpg
This guy clearly had trouble staying in between the lines in school I'm sure:
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-rt2.jpg

I have an OCD of parking RIGHT BETWEEN THE LINES, so you can understand why it bothers me so much:
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-me-3.jpg
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-me-1.jpg
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-me-2.jpg

Needless to say, even after confrontation, it's a very happy to lucky response, which results in me parking the Storme 'OVER THE LoC' blocking his car.

A different view of another awesome scene I spotted. A pavilion rider giving aashirvad to the driver
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-a1.jpg
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-a2.jpg
PS: I was riding in an Uber while clicking the above shots. Not while driving.

Regards,
Rohan.

Last edited by rohansachar : 30th May 2016 at 11:59.
rohansachar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 12:47   #8360
BHPian

I think we should change the title to 'Good drivers - how do you spot them' or start a new thread on it. Otherwise, bad ones are everywhere, just like Hydra agents.

Unfortunately, I have happened to witness some of the worst ones in Noida, and that too with a TBHP sticker.
lordvader is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 12:52   #8361
BHPian

Had another run-in with a big red beast last Friday. This ST bus hogs the right lane all the way through Chembur and I just overtake him from the left and land up ahead of him at the signal just as it turns red. I signalled to the cop standing near me and asked him why he cannot see the bus in the wrong lane. He then goes over to the driver and starts taking something down in his book. He also asked me for my name and contact no., assuring me that no one would trouble me. Being the mad Bawa that I am, and getting really irritated with the way HMVs misuse the roads, I gave him my details, ready to pursue any case that may materialise. The final straw was that the bus driver came up to my car and demanded to know, in front of the cop, what my problem was? I gave him a piece of my mind and took off as soon as the light turned green again. Didn't want him to fill up my IRVM further down the road.
Old 30th May 2016, 13:21   #8362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohansachar View Post
A different view of another awesome scene I spotted. A pavilion rider giving aashirvad to the driver
The pillion needs this aashirvaad more than the rider. A few inches here and there, and there goes his foot in the wheel rim. Wish he knew what the footpegs were for.
biggrin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 15:19   #8363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
I am horrified to see this. This is atrocious. People are driving on the wrong side with absolute disdain! It seems more like a norm than an exception

The more I see traffic in any part of India, the more I believe we have completely lost it.
That, sir , is the future of urban Indian traffic. Absolute anarchy , no fear of retribution , bullying , road rage will all be super amplified in the coming years. No amount of governing or policing is going to arrest this downward spiral.
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 16:37   #8364
Distinguished - BHPian

My wife tells me that I have become very bad at parking straight, and between the lines, in car parks. I took a look at my effort that day, and realised that it was bad as any photo in this thread.

I'm putting a little more attention into this, and mending my ways. But let's remember that what really matter is not those lines, but being a door-opening space from the next car. The lines are guidance, not prison bars.

On the other hand, I do understand the frustration and annoyance that can be caused by one or more roughly parked cars in a limited area such as as an apartment car park. Those situations do call for special care and consideration for others.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 12:31   #8365
Senior - BHPian

Caption this :

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1464678008833.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1464678028541.jpg

PS : the Scross had ultra dark tints, presumably driven by a Guntha mantri.

Pps : check the other side of the divider as well.
:sigh:

Last edited by sajo : 31st May 2016 at 12:32.
sajo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 16:57   #8366
Senior - BHPian

Hunt on for motorist who assaulted techie in Koramangala
“A non-cognisable offence report has been generated based on Ankit’s report. The vehicle was registered in the name of one Hanume Gowda,” the police said.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2016, 09:17   #8367
Distinguished - BHPian

One more accident in Bangalore and its a combination of 2 things that are never far away from any road in the city > rash driving two-wheeler and flyover.

The amount of stupidity present in motorists in the country at large will never go down thanks to such incidents - two people, one the stereotypical speed-loving rider and other the pillion flew off their Honda Dio, right over the flyover before Kengeri Satellite Town and plunged 40 feet onto the tarmac to meet their creator.

In the article the police is saying that had the 2 worn helmets they would've survived (yes they were not wearing helmets either), but I feel from 40 feet there's very little that can save them, a feet first fall would also mean instant death as there's something called internal organs.

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/52527619.cms

P.s : I've not seen one Honda Dio ridden in a sane manner in the city, I used to ride the earliest version of the Dio myself a decade ago.. loved the way it had a motorbike type feel but I was never rash. People modify it now (remove the silencers, improve the pickup, reduce the weight etc) making it feel more sportier and end up like this.
Old 1st June 2016, 11:37   #8368
Distinguished - BHPian

I tried meditation today on my way to work

No music and pehle aap (you first). I let everyone cut across, push me off, make me stop, basically everything they wanted to do. Didn't make too much of a difference in my commute time, maybe I took 5 mins more compared to other days when I try to 'educate' folks to follow rules.

One thing I did save was my mental peace! I guess in this country, we need to stop caring about such bad drivers because they are everywhere and cannot be reasoned with.

Super difficult to do though, I admit. Let me see how long I can ignore the bad drivers.
Dry Ice is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st June 2016, 17:31   #8369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohansachar View Post
So, here's my experience with a consistent BAD DRIVER:

I have an OCD of parking RIGHT BETWEEN THE LINES, so you can understand why it bothers me so much:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I'm putting a little more attention into this, and mending my ways. But let's remember that what really matter is not those lines, but being a door-opening space from the next car. The lines are guidance, not prison bars.
rohansachar, I can totally relate to that. That pic of the tyre over the line, so damn irritating.

Thad E Ginathom, I know door opening space is important, but these are just some of the small things that we totally ignore. No one can force us to park between the lines, but we are so careless that we cant follow even such a simple thing. Its these small things that all add up to become a good driver.

I too have a guy in my apartment who always parks his bike over the line into my space. Told him a few times but he still does it. Since I only have my bike with me now, its not an issue, but once the ol' 'Leno comes home, "somebody gonna get a hurt real bad"
GeneralJazz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2016, 18:01   #8370
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
I too have a guy in my apartment who always parks his bike over the line into my space. Told him a few times but he still does it. Since I only have my bike with me now, its not an issue, but once the ol' 'Leno comes home, "somebody gonna get a hurt real bad"

If somebody had to tell me more than once that I was carelessly parking like that, I would feel really ashamed. Once would be enough to make me take good care in the future.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed