Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2016, 23:00   #8551
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
The police officers were able to extract the vehicle information based on the bike registration details, hence they were quick.
I do get that point. But these people were just two bike riders, two among 1000s of bike riders (and pillion passengers) in Bangalore. So if this specific duo had to be nabbed within 15 minutes, the bobbies pretty much knew there whereabouts. The only other chance being these jokers did not know that the police would be at their door step so quickly. Chaps may have gone home directly, enjoying a good meal thinking about their "courageous act". And their residence details were recorded correctly (most likely the owner was a permanent resident in the city).
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 21:05   #8552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Also these morons carry their wallets, expensive running gear, smartphones and smart watches when jogging, all at 3/4 am in the morning. Pretty soon one of them will be mugged, killed or raped then it will cause a headline and the same moronic set will lament about how India is unsafe and how they must move 'back' to the states

Well, technically speaking, it is unsafe in your scenario.

How does selective victim blaming anyway become justified? 'Wearing skirt causes rape' and 'carrying mobile phone causes mugging' are essentially the same, and neither is correct.

True, they could take some precautions perhaps. Their failure to do so doesn't change the fact that (i) the place was unsafe and (ii) they were not to be blamed. Or, are you saying that they forego their liberty of carrying their belongings or going for a jog at a time of their convenience in the interest of staying safe? But then, you make them choose between safety and liberty. Again, that does make India an unsafe place.
Old 22nd July 2016, 22:58   #8553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.A.GTC View Post
Well, technically speaking, it is unsafe in your scenario.

How does selective victim blaming anyway become justified? 'Wearing skirt causes rape' and 'carrying mobile phone causes mugging' are essentially the same, and neither is correct.

True, they could take some precautions perhaps. Their failure to do so doesn't change the fact that (i) the place was unsafe and (ii) they were not to be blamed. Or, are you saying that they forego their liberty of carrying their belongings or going for a jog at a time of their convenience in the interest of staying safe? But then, you make them choose between safety and liberty. Again, that does make India an unsafe place.
I think the important point out here is that a highway road is not a safe place at all for morning walk. I know of enough instances of people losing their life due to this habit.

The post actually then went a slightly tangent about what they wear, appearing to be judgmental. But again, I believe, the point that was being made was that these are educated well-to-do resourceful people with appropriate exposure venturing out on highways for morning walks.

I agree anyway to some extent about not blaming the victim but the basic assumption and premise behind that argument is equality and absense of divide in civil society (education, economic, etc.). So if we are living in a central government offices housing society (just an example to highlight presence of diversity/Cosmo culture and absense of divide by selection) it would be shocking to hear that mini skirts caused something bad. Can't say the same for someone who ventured into a jungle attracts a lot of attention by making noise, flashing lights, littering food and then finally gets attacked by wild animals. Please excuse the strange example but was needed to highlight the importance of being aware of the surroundings. Not every place is a utopian civil society in equilibrium without divide and humans can be more senseless and Wilder than animals.

This victim argument practically won't work if you have a female companion in short skirt riding pillion on a hot summer day through the countryside roads (and even through some of conservative parts of old city of whatever city you live in) in most of India and some of the locals find interest in your companion. They would be less interested in any blabbering about civil liberties.

So definitely agree on Liberty with awareness and responsibility but using public roads with traffic for morning walks absolutely not.

Last edited by @viral : 22nd July 2016 at 23:06.
Old 24th July 2016, 00:03   #8554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @viral View Post
I think... ...absolutely not.
I absolutely agree that a highway is not safe for walks. More so, as indicated in posts by fellow members, when they're walking on the road itself instead of a pavement.

My problem with the post was only with the part that I quoted, and more particularly -
he same moronic set will lament about how India is unsafe and how they must move 'back' to the states
My point was that Indian society *is* not safe in general indeed, so there's no reason to be furious if people wish to state so or (eventually) emigrate.

The ultimate fact is, as you state, humans can be more senseless than animals. And I also agree that people who engage in crimes wouldn't give care about rights and liberties. But that is the point - that there is no regard for people's liberties, and hence it is an unsafe society.

Of course, the reason for such thinking could be traced to many institutions, social norms and cultures, etc. Lack of education, poor parenting, growing up in jungles or whatever it be, the end result is that it is not good.

Again, I agree that it is unsafe (and stupid) to use public roads for morning walks. There are parks for that. But at the same time, this does not justify any sort of crime (mugging or rape). Perhaps the only kind of crime for which a justification might be sought would be a road-accident, or something related, if someone is walking on the road; not murders and rapes.

I believe we are saying the same thing, my point being not in conflict with but rather a derivative of your arguments. Apologies for the off topic discussion.
Old 25th July 2016, 10:09   #8555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
The only other chance being these jokers did not know that the police would be at their door step so quickly. Chaps may have gone home directly, enjoying a good meal thinking about their "courageous act". And their residence details were recorded correctly (most likely the owner was a permanent resident in the city).
The police station is pretty much close to their residence, within 3 Kms.
Old 25th July 2016, 19:25   #8556
Senior - BHPian

Gave an earful to one rickshawala in my building today. The area near the gate is narrow and about 1.5 cars wide so if by chance one car is entering from the lane and another is trying to exit, the car inside the building has to reverse back into the wider parking area and then the car entering can pass by.
This evening I was coming in and a neighbors car was exiting. He stopped and started reversing while I started moving forwards and to the opposite side so that both cars can complete the maneuver sooner. During this time a typical Mumbai rickshawalla comes at speed from further in the building and tries to squeeze in between the two cars.
There wasnt really much space anyways and I got irritated and blocked him and honked and signalled him to reverse. He started gesturing and jabbering something. Got out of the car and gave it to him left right and centre on his lack of patience and road manners with a few expletives for good measure. He kept on arguing that there was enough space to get out and whats the issue and his time is getting wasted and you "big" people etc etc. Thats when the watchman who I have known since childhood and is quite imposing even in his fifties walked up and told him something in Bhojpuri.
The guy immediately became quiet and moved his auto back allowing me to pass.
The watchman later told me he told the guy that Im goon type politicians son and better move quickly or Ill call people to break his arms and legs. LOL

When these guys drive like crap on the roads breaking every rule we have to just tolerate it and try to drive defensively, its the cops responsibility to catch them and deal with their nonsense.
But when they are in my home there is no reason to tolerate this rubbish. Am I right ?
Mortis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 18:29   #8557
Distinguished - BHPian

And how's this for a bad driver, Close shave, near miss, concentration lapse?

Most likely this chap on S-Cross was on his phone & texting:

Happened last Saturday near Chiplun, MH when I was driving around here.

A near miss this was and I almost was certain that there would be a head-on!!
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 18:58   #8558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
And how's this for a bad driver, Close shave, near miss, concentration lapse?

Most likely this chap on S-Cross was on his phone & texting:
[/center]

Whoa that was a close one. Either the S-Cross driver was speaking/texting or he didnt spot you at all. Good tou honked continuously. Did you also flash your headlights? Its cloudy and road is undivided with shady trees. Better to drive with headlights switched on. There are so many morons on the road.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th July 2016 at 19:26. Reason: Removed video from quoted post.
Old 26th July 2016, 19:35   #8559
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post
Did you also flash your headlights?
I had even rolled down as the last resort to wave my hand.

Quote:
Its cloudy and road is undivided with shady trees. Better to drive with headlights switched on. There are so many morons on the road.
I am not the Hazard lights type driver . In such weather I always drive with Fogs/Headlights on. No compromises there!

Forget the highway, even when I leave to work at 0630 I have my fogs on.

I am the last person to ask that Hotel attendant to wash my car when I stay overnight. Instead, I wash the headlight and tail lamp lens .
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 20:13   #8560
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

That was indeed a close shave. You were quite lucky to have got out of this unscathed.

On the other hand is it due to the video footage or were you negotiating those animals on the road at a bit more than the recommended speeds?
Old 26th July 2016, 22:23   #8561
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
On the other hand is it due to the video footage or were you negotiating those animals on the road at a bit more than the recommended speeds?
Not really any faster at all.

In fact till date I have never hit a dog (except for running over a dead one 2 months back). I am super careful with cattle and never honk and disturb their movement and prefer to judge their path and pass it slowly.

In the footage, they appear closer to the car only due to the fish eye effect and nothing else.

In fact, right behind me were 5 other cars from my group including 3 Bhpians and if you listen in the beginning I also switch on my Hazard lights soon after I notice the herd and have to slow down.

This passes enough hints to the tailing traffic who are actually following the leading car and at times any quick move you make can be copied too.

And nope, I have negotiated a lot of these cattle in all my driving years and pass them at recommended speeds and merit of roads too.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 12:03   #8562
BHPian

Saw a really careless rickshaw driver yesterday while I was waiting for my daughter's school bus to arrive.

It was I am assuming a school rickshaw. There was only 1 kid in the rear seat who was around 3 years old I would guess. What was worrying is that there was another kid who looked to be 2 years old who was standing in the driver's cabin between the driver and the handle (just like in a 2-wheeler). God forbid if the rickshaw brakes suddenly.

The rickhaw wala was also driving in a typical rickshaw manner, not at all caring for the two young lives for which he was responsible.
Old 29th July 2016, 16:42   #8563
BHPian

Saw this "queen" of the roads today afternoon in Matunga (Next to UDCT). The lady driver in questions was accompanied by a another lady co-driver. I was walking along the footpath and i noticed them. This is how she parked (for 15 minutes)
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-wp_20160729_13_21_00_pro.jpg

She never exited the car, i was under the impression that they were waiting for someone (was later proven right when i saw another female enter the car ,after which they drove away). She parked right on the pedestrian crossing on a small road. All the traffic had to divert around this "roadblock". Just a few meters ahead was an empty parking spot. After clicking the photo, i was really worked up and had decided to give her a good talking to, but before i could do it, she drove away.
ankurchaturvedi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 21:05   #8564
Senior - BHPian

Note how this Indigo is parked inspite of the parking bay being properly marked with the help of yellow lines.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_6721.jpg  

Old 1st August 2016, 21:13   #8565
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurchaturvedi View Post
...Just a few meters ahead was an empty parking spot. After clicking the photo, i was really worked up and had decided to give her a good talking to, but before i could do it, she drove away.
Dude! Please avoid verbal altercations with such stupid females. You'll never know what will you land up with; unless you have a bunch of friends / locals with you and there is real time recording (which later may be "claimed" to be fabricated). It's a clear indication that she has "common sense" & "civil sense" + "attitude" deficiency; so avoid getting near. Indian law enforcement systems are heavily biased towards the ladies.

You wanna give a nudge, send those pics to the traffic police. I am not too sure if any action can be taken as it's a DN registration.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 1st August 2016 at 21:14.
swiftnfurious is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks