Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2016, 08:29   #8671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post

I can see a 5th one too, a kid. See the kid's hand/foot circled in yellow:

Aye! There were indeed 5 on the scooter.
The girl and the rider were conversing (bless them!). Hence the tilt of the rider's head.
schakravarthy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 13:19   #8672
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Recently took the elevated section on Tumkur road from CMTI junction towards Nelamangala and was shocked to see an autorickshaw coming head-on on the fast lane and the wrong side
I was wondering how & from where he entered the road! Most likely from the lower non-tolled section near the down ramp, god help us from such daredevils
Old 6th September 2016, 13:28   #8673
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I was wondering how & from where he entered the road! Most likely from the lower non-tolled section near the down ramp, god help us from such daredevils
No need to wonder NPV. NBTL happily allows autos to pay toll and enter the elevated section. Its a very regular affair. And yes, I am referring to regular 3 Passenger Autos and not the goods ones.

And 2 wheelers? - Well, when NBTL became operational, 2 Wheelers were banned on elevated section but now NBTL toll near Parle factory "Makes way" for them for free with a small section on the extreme left.

Last edited by paragsachania : 6th September 2016 at 13:29.
Old 6th September 2016, 13:39   #8674
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
No need to wonder NPV. NBTL happily allows autos to pay toll and enter the elevated section. Its a very regular affair. And yes, I am referring to regular 3 Passenger Autos and not the goods ones.
Parag, this auto guy was coming head-on in my lane so he was on the wrong side of the elevated road I definitely don't believe he paid the toll and got on to the wrong side!

I was saying, he would have made an illegal U-turn from the non-tolled section below the elevated road and turned onto the wrong side of the 4 laned elevated road.

Last edited by NPV : 6th September 2016 at 13:45.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 13:45   #8675
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Parag, this auto guy was coming head-on in my lane so he was on the wrong side of the elevated road I definitely don't believe he paid the toll and got on to the wrong side!
If you spotted this Auto on the elevated section between CMTI and Parle Factory, then of course he wouldn't have paid the toll for sure.

But in general, Autorickshaws ply regularly on this tolled stretch all the way till Nelamangala.

The only other elevated road I have seen Autos heading onto me in the opposite direction is the elevated road to Electronics City (BETL) but here, I see less Autos entering the tolled road and that for sure will be due to the high toll rate itself :-) (Compare 20 INR for NBTL for almost 20 kms with 4 kms on elevated section to BETL that is 8.75 kms and one pays 45 INR for a car).
Old 6th September 2016, 14:10   #8676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Came across this video today about "Simple solution to traffic".
Quite an interesting take and a good twist at the end.
Nice video, and yeah, the twist was an interesting one! If that happens, we have to change one of our tag lines - "Live to Drive" to "Live to be driven"
Old 6th September 2016, 20:53   #8677
BHPian

That's the third time tonight! Finding my gate blocked I mean. I can't figure out what is so attractive about it that pulls inconsiderate, so-called educated people to it like a magnet.
I had described the first incident a while back here, the second occured a few days ago when, returning home from work, I found a parked car encroaching my entry gate by a few feet, even though there were at least two feet of space available behind him. So I got in with a bit of difficulty, and SMSed the registration number to the Vahan number for its owner's details, in case I recognised the name. It turned out to belong to a dentist whose clinic was in a garage across the road. So I Googled his cell number, called him up and he promptly came out and moved his car back. I'm sure he'll keep this in mind if he ever has to park in front of my gate again.
But today was the last straw. My daughter called me up when I was stuck in traffic, about 15 minutes from home, with the news that a car was blocking our entry. Well, nothing I could do until I returned, so I crossed my fingers that the car would be gone by the time I got back. No such luck, the car was still there, with a young lady in the driver's seat, with a baby in her arms and an older kid in the back. So I flashed my lights at her, sure that she could see my indicator. No response and I was getting a bit agitated as I was blocking traffic and a Ganpati procession that I had just squeezed through was on its way towards us. So I got out and asked her to move her car, can't she see she's parked very badly and is blocking my entry? So she gets on the phone! I get a bit more upset. What are you on the phone for? Move your car, I say. Then I get it! She's calling her husband since she can't drive. So where is he and why was she in the driver's seat then? That moronic husband of hers had left her in that car, blocking not only my entry but also that of the neighbouring building, and gone off to add to the noise of the approaching Ganpati procession mentioned earlier. I gave him a piece of my mind when he arrived and there was not a word of appology from him, except that he was gone for just a few minutes. I asked, is that what you were taught in driving school? And its been more than 15 minutes. By then the noise was almost deafening, so instead of shouting at the top of my voice I just signalled to him to get the car out of the way so that I could get into my compound.
I couldn't believe my eyes a few minutes later, when I saw that he had again parked his car in almost the same spot, but this time blocking only the entry of the neighbouring building! And he seemed to be well educated too.
FarPatel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 08:28   #8678
Distinguished - BHPian

Reported an accident that happened today morning. Link

But in the below photo we can also spot a Bad driver. The guy riding the Apache
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20160907_073530001.jpeg
He is riding on a tolled expressway but without helmet on his head.
However he has it on his elbow just to avoid getting caught by the cops.
I thought of reporting this on BTP page, but the vehicle has no number too
Old 7th September 2016, 09:30   #8679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
The guy riding the Apache
Attachment 1551519
Sir, we normally wear the helmet where our brain is. He has it where he thinks it is. Cops know jack about evolution and mutants. Who knows, he may have the power to kill us all with some ultra-nonsensotron-rays through circulating pictures of himself, so stay as far away from such specimens as humanly possible, and remain safe.

Peace.
silversteed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 10:54   #8680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip
I will grudgingly admire the fact that they're able to get the tiny Scooty even moving with so many people on board.
Indeed. Since we have a Scooty Pep at home, I am surprised it is able to move with so many on board, given the puny engine.
Old 7th September 2016, 16:24   #8681
BHPian

Encountered an unique (don't want to use cuss words) auto driver last evening. Either he has gotten bugged with headlights in his face or he feels he is a style master, but he had bright LED strobe lights in the front of his auto. It was so distracting to get hit by a bright flash of light every half second. Pretty sure these light are not street legal!
Old 7th September 2016, 17:32   #8682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I thought of reporting this on BTP page, but the vehicle has no number too
Equivalent of "No Seat Belts We die like men"?
babu.sundaram is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 17:44   #8683
Senior - BHPian

A type of bad driver easily spotted in Kerala is the type that has heard that one should honk when approaching a blind curve, but does not have the common sense to slow down too. Instead, they just honk wildly and take the curve at the same speed or higher. Logic being that since they have honked, their part is done.

A pictorial representation of a T-junction near our home where accidents are waiting to happen, given the honk-and-speed driving of folks coming from all 3 directions.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-chaprayiltjunction.jpg

I no longer honk at blind curves, but slow down to almost a crawl. In the case of the above T-junction, one has to be more careful when coming from direction B, because due to the compound walls, there is no visibility of vehicles coming from A & C. But traffic from all 3 directions take the curve without slowing down.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 7th September 2016 at 17:45.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 22:14   #8684
BHPian

I had gone to Delhi yesterday to attend a meeting at Noida, returning the same evening, and I couldn't believe the traffic along the approximately 35km route. I started clicking pics of bad drivers to put up here but then pretty soon I realised that there was no point in continuing. Every single vehicle, including our prepaid cab from the airport to Noida and the Meru during the return trip to the airport, seemed to be driven by what we consider here as a bad driver. No lane discipline, no use of the indicator, cars squeezing in where even bikers would fear to venture. They change lanes not by signalling but simply by pointing their vehicles where they want to go, and to hell with the guy they almost sideswipe. My colleague, also a petrolhead like us, and I were aghast at the lawlessness and anarchy on the roads. I also observed that maybe 90% of the vehicles were scratched, dented and gouged along their sides, an obvious testament to the driving characteristics of the populace there. So, in spite of all my cribs on Mumbai traffic I'd much rather be here than there.

Related to this trip, on our return my colleague took a prepaid coolcab back to his residence in Kharghar, Navi Mumbai. By the time he reached his home he was a shaking, nervous wreck. The cab driver was a former tractor driver in UP, just arrived in Mumbai 10 days back, had no clue about the roads and had the driving skills of a, how shall I describe it, yes, a former tractor driver. Took two and a half hours to cover what we would do in about an hour. I've got his cab number and am trying to figure out how to inform the cops about him. If we don't do something quick Mumbai will very soon become just like what I experienced in Delhi and Noida.

Last edited by FarPatel : 8th September 2016 at 22:17.
FarPatel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 23:55   #8685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarPatel View Post
I had gone to Delhi yesterday to attend a meeting at Noida, returning the same evening, and I couldn't believe the traffic along the approximately 35km route. I started clicking pics of bad drivers to put up here but then pretty soon I realised that there was no point in continuing. Every single vehicle, including our prepaid cab from the airport to Noida and the Meru during the return trip to the airport, seemed to be driven by what we consider here as a bad driver. No lane discipline, no use of the indicator, cars squeezing in where even bikers would fear to venture. They change lanes not by signalling but simply by pointing their vehicles where they want to go, and to hell with the guy they almost sideswipe.
I have been following this thread for some time now and every new post makes me wonder exactly what you have just jotted down (in bold). Every morning on my way to work (noida to delhi) I rarely find even a single being trying to drive properly. The driving sense is just missing, plain and simple. Its as if it was never there and they were never taught to differentiate between good driving and bad driving skills. It doesn't matter what car they are driving, its all the same. I live in Noida and its even worse with people driving on wrong sides to just save a few metres. And cab drivers, the worse of the lot. I do empathize with the fact that they are trying to earn a living but at what cost. On my way to work, I regularly see cabbies trying to enter expressway at what are supposed to be exits for those on the expressway. The end result is jam and a colossal waste of time and fuel. And add to this mix, autos and lady drivers, and you have one hell of a concoction to get your blood pressure high. If driving is what everybody is bad at then parking really gets the worst out. You have to see it to believe. People just park randomly as if it doesn't affect anyone. And this behavior is absolutely consistent, on roads, parking lots and even society parking. Number the parking area, allot them parking and still they will go and park in wherever they happened to come to a stop. I can attribute such behavior to states, places or income groups but the fact is that these things just don't matter at an individual level. We are unabashedly displaying a I, me and myself attitude at every juncture where there is an overlap with the other members in society. Sorry for the rant but we are just not getting anywhere when it comes to good city driving.
lordvader is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks