Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2016, 17:03   #8716
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarPatel View Post
... ... ... Now, she is a very decent, gentle lady, but with no clue whatsoever about parking, or driving for that matter, etiquette. I'll probably give her the link to this thread and ask her to go through it, in the hope that she'll understand the do's and don'ts of driving.
One lesson at a time!

This whole thread would be too much for most of us to take in all at once!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 17:05   #8717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv3k View Post
Is this close to the place where the flyover takes off?
This is about 200 or so meters before the hebbal flyover starts (going towards Hebbal from KR puram ).

I found quite a few places where the median stones were almost whittled away which makes it a pretty good temptation for a guy on a two wheeler to attempt the dangerous risk of crossing over to the other side.
Old 21st September 2016, 09:03   #8718
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

With all these incidents still in mind yesterday, I made my way from office to home in an Uber cab in the evening.

I instantly realized that this guy was another right-foot heavy driver from the way he took off from zero.. I bore with it for 15, 20 minutes and then it happened - slight bumper collision with another cabs rear as that cab was equally rash and stopped suddenly to change lanes.. both didn't care though as they went on in their paths, I was fuming by then and I started shouting at the driver as to why he's endangering everyone including the passengers in the car with such driving, horrible driving! Heck he couldn't even release the clutch smoothly or apply the brakes without having to make the car jerk.

Even as I got off I was still making sarcastic remarks at the driver telling him to keep going at 100kmph, it's so thrilling after all. He still didn't realize that its HIS fault, he can blame the other cab all he wants but I was there and it was equally his doing. I have only two words to describe people who just believe in pressing the accelerator without any planning, any care in the world just for cheap, cheap thrills - road trolls. "Mosquito" also springs to mind, they fly around, irritate the ears with their buzzing noise and suck blood.. and they are insignificant.

The Chennai case truly reflects the concept of might over right. Its been done and dusted one million times before.. it may not be any different this time as well so lets stop rejoicing over slap-on-the-hand punishments.

Last edited by dark.knight : 21st September 2016 at 09:27.
Old 21st September 2016, 13:18   #8719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Even as I got off I was still making sarcastic remarks at the driver telling him to keep going at 100kmph, it's so thrilling after all.
Dangerous. He might have taken it as a compliment

On Topic, I faced a similar rash driver. Politely asked him to park. Paid him. Had a good healthy walk to my home.
mbilung is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2016, 13:39   #8720
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I instantly realized that this guy was another right-foot heavy driver from the way he took off from zero. ...
I wonder if he would have been able to take in the fact that his driving style is costing him a fortune in fuel? My driving style is very far from wild, but I know that it is not super-economical either. If I was doing it for a living, I'd go really really easy on the right foot.

That guy could substantially reduce his costs. The trouble is in making him realise that driving six inches away from the guy in front doesn't actually reduce the journey time.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2016, 13:46   #8721
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I wonder if he would have been able to take in the fact that his driving style is costing him a fortune in fuel? My driving style is very far from wild, but I know that it is not super-economical either. If I was doing it for a living, I'd go really really easy on the right foot.

That guy could substantially reduce his costs. The trouble is in making him realise that driving six inches away from the guy in front doesn't actually reduce the journey time.
These guys are tremendously bone-headed about changing habits. Actually, aren't we all?

I get a variety of cabbies for office transport, some of them are young, educated fellows who are so maps-savvy it would make even a college-goer envious.

Then there are those who insist on taking the route that takes the most time and has the worst traffic, because that's the one they're used to, or the maps say it's the 'shortest' route. Telling them it will save them both time and fuel if they took a slightly longer but less congested alternative route is usually met with 'mind your own business' looks. Most of them of course drive pedal to the metal and far too eager to mate their cars with the one ahead.

Or maybe I'm the fool and slip-streaming in traffic to save fuel/wear & tear is the next best thing since sliced bread!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 21st September 2016 at 13:48.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2016, 14:10   #8722
Senior - BHPian

Here’s my take on bad drivers. I believe there are three kinds of drivers. First are the level headed ones who are careful and safety oriented, the second are the Ambulance drivers who have the right to jump signals, weave through traffic, drive on the wrong side of the road, force their way into a one way street, use loud sound devices e.g. sirens to get other vehicles out of the way all for a good cause. And thirdly and the last are the rest of the drivers who think they are too Ambulance drivers and drive the way the second category of drivers i.e. the Ambulance drivers do.

I always let this third category of wannabe Ambulance drivers go by and try not to let them affect me. Usually these drivers have their vehicles disguised as Auto rickshaws or some even look like cars/MUV’s which usually have a yellow colored license plate. Heck I have even seen such ‘Ambulances’ which look like trucks and tempos.
Old 21st September 2016, 14:57   #8723
BHPian

Near miss

This happened a couple of days back. The car came from a side road without any warning at a reasonable speed and didn't slow down a bit and i suspect check for traffic. I saw at the very last moment and was not expecting he will proceed to join the road.
I had 2 options 1) to hit the swift or swerve and hit the divider thereby causing considerable damage to my car, but in the end i was able to stop the car without any damage to both the vehicles but my tyre hit the divider, but no damage.

I really don't know what the guy was thinking. He scooted and jumped a red light to avoid me and i gave up the chase.
Mohan Mathew A is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st September 2016, 16:07   #8724
Senior - BHPian

Re: Near miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
I really don't know what the guy was thinking. He scooted and jumped a red light to avoid me and i gave up the chase.
People think just 'cos it's a free left means you have right of way all the time.

Had something similar happen to me today with the culprit being an oblivious 2 wheeler.

OT: Why are the pedestrians on the road? Could see a nicely paved footpath there.
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2016, 22:46   #8725
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
People think just 'cos it's a free left means you have right of way all the time.
Oh, is that why more and more people fail to stop/look/give-way when joining from a side road?
Old 21st September 2016, 23:57   #8726
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Man usually transcends logic and common-sense, its easy to see that these days. The thing is some of these drivers do it out of little to no choice in order to earn.. they have no pride in their job and give a cold stare when arriving, naturally their dissatisfaction will reflect on their driving. They drive to get it over with and they do so by driving fast. Today's driver case was worse, I heard him talking over phone about meeting someone in a bar within half hour.. he drove like a typical goon as well, honking away to glory.

Of course two bad trips cannot allow me to generalise what has mostly been positive experiences.. there are more than a fair share of good drivers. Thad you'd love this one, I had the good fortune of meeting a very cheerful, exuberant driver once.. spoke English that made my head spin, almost was wondering where I am at. There are drivers who give a constipated stare and here this middle-aged gentleman wished me "good morning" in a singing tone cheerfully. Top notch service I've to say. We need more people who take pride in great service, then their business will succeed, no matter the size.

Last edited by dark.knight : 21st September 2016 at 23:59.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 00:08   #8727
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Of course two bad trips cannot allow me to generalise what has mostly been positive experiences ...
Sure. Many of my taxi rides have been with reasonably competent drivers.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 08:25   #8728
BHPian

We see bad drivers everyday - Not even a single person here can actually say he doesn't.

Here are my 2 instances from last week:

1. I am dropping my daughter to her play school in the morning. I park my car on the side, get out to open the rear door. An active comes, stops behind my car, and the guy has to drop her daughter too. At this point, everything is normal. I focus my attention to my daughter and boom - I hear a loud thud of his activa crashing into my rear bumper. First thing I see is his daughter on the ground, so I pick her up and she is crying inconsolably - her father then gets up from the ground and takes her from me, hurries in, drops his daughter, comes out, Says 'Sorry' and scoots away

I realized, that his ignition may not have been off and accelerator was either twisted by his daughter or himself. I had minor damages, but what amazed me was that he just left. Forget about my damage, he should have atleast stayed with his daughter.

2. Another instance - Its Sunday and usually free roads in the afternoon near my colony itself. I still make sure I switch on my indicators, I have to take this right and suddenly out of nowhere a biker comes, honks, brakes and crashes right into my driver side door. I pick him up and park my car beside and as I proceed to talk, he scoots

And now I have a dent and a big scratch on my door.
Old 22nd September 2016, 10:40   #8729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh, is that why more and more people fail to stop/look/give-way when joining from a side road?
who knows what goes on in the mind of such people?

Impatience, lack of empathy, plain ignorance, my way is the right of way all the time, others will stop for me why should i stop etc etc etc

Even if you stop before merging onto a main road with indicators on, proceed to look for gaps in traffic to slowly merge, people behind you will honk like mad and then overtake you while staring at you and join the road without a care in the world!
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 19:30   #8730
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
... Even if you stop before merging onto a main road with indicators on, proceed to look for gaps in traffic to slowly merge, people behind you will honk like mad and then overtake you while staring at you and join the road without a care in the world!
They even honk as we wait for a pedestrian to finish crossing. They want us to run over someone so they can go faster?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks