Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2017, 10:10   #8986
BHPian

A certain section of drivers/riders I loathe are the ones who don't switch on their lights once its dark.
Its very difficult to pick up these dumbos in the rear view mirror once its dark.
These dumbos think they have to pay separate light bill from their pockets for using headlights and tail lamps.
Just because you can see others in dark (because others are using lights) doesn't mean the opposite is true.
rajivr1612 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 12:15   #8987
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
A certain section of drivers/riders I loathe are the ones who don't switch on their lights once its dark.
Its very difficult to pick up these dumbos in the rear view mirror once its dark.
These dumbos think they have to pay separate light bill from their pockets for using headlights and tail lamps.
Just because you can see others in dark (because others are using lights) doesn't mean the opposite is true.
Rightly said. On top on this menace, worst is that many folks operate only one side headlight at night (at high beam). How much they are going to save with this approach. At times, you will realize its a car not a bike only when you come closer.
I wanted these folks to be crushed under a heavy truck (without any passengers of course)

Quick question - How do they do it - Having only one light on -
Reisender is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 12:35   #8988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reisender View Post
Rightly said. On top on this menace, worst is that many folks operate only one side headlight at night (at high beam).

Quick question - How do they do it - Having only one light on -
This is not a feature !! They are so careless about their car, that even if one Bulb is fused, they donot care about replacing the fused bulb !!
Old 2nd February 2017, 13:06   #8989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
This is not a feature !! They are so careless about their car, that even if one Bulb is fused, they donot care about replacing the fused bulb !!
I have seen a third light fixed bang in between the 2 headlights in APSRTC buses. Say the bus is coming in the opposite direction with the middle and rightmost headlight (looking from your end) on and we decide to overtake the vehicle in front of us.
Will this overtaking not be a disaster ??
Old 2nd February 2017, 15:15   #8990
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A certain section of drivers/riders I loathe are the ones who don't switch on their lights once its dark. ...
After a concert, I walked with a friend who collected his pedal cycle from near where my car was parked. He was bemoaning the theft of its light. I wondered, Who would steel a bicycle light as they are universally not used?
Old 2nd February 2017, 15:21   #8991
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
It doesnt stop there. These a$$%&*# then switch to high beam in the remaining headlight thinking that will do the job, until they have someone running head on to them and/or they finally can gather up some money and energy to go get the fused bulb replaced - This again one at a time.

I usually replace both bulbs whenever it is required. Had a fused bulb only once till now and including that I have replaced it only in pairs. Saves the pain of repeating the job if the other bulb fails after a short while of the first one.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 15:40   #8992
BHPian

Quote:
These dumbos think they have to pay separate light bill from their pockets for using headlights and tail lamps
I still remember one of the cab drivers telling me that switching on the indicators will eat up battery and hence, he will never use them. He needs the battery power for night driving. I was like
vnidta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 19:53   #8993
BHPian

Quote:
Just as worse when there is a thick morning fog: you will always find some solitary hero riding his vehicle with lights off, and the hazards off. The whole world will have them on. Ironically, this isolated driver will be the worst on the road in terms of cutting and driving at his/her own speed. Is it not common sense: people cannot see in a fog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Pushing the wrong people is a major problem and quite a common trait with our junta. Whenever someone is trying to merge or change lanes most drivers try to accelerate to prevent that rather than slowing down a bit and giving time to complete the maneuver. I feel this slows down the traffic even more. Just more poor manners from our citizens.
My driving tutor told me on the first day: drive in the middle of the lane. IE: the painted white line should be on the middle of the car. I found that so outright weird and stupid. His logic was: you have the liberty to choose which lane you want and others cannot overtake. So dumb.
asingh1977 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 11:46   #8994
Senior - BHPian

What can I say about this , a guy in a Swift Dzire (MH14FM5350) was driving on the wrong side (not unusual for Pune/Hinjewadi), into my path, and even had the gall to signal me to give him way. To add insult to the injury, as I had slowed down to a stop because he was in the way, promptly got rear ended by a couple of guys on a Pulsar (loud thud at the end).

(Youtube seems to have seriously degraded the video quality on uploading).

Last edited by sajo : 5th February 2017 at 11:49.
sajo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 17:40   #8995
Senior - BHPian

(Slightly OT)
A brilliant effort by VW. Worth a share, me thinks.

schakravarthy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 08:48   #8996
BHPian

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_8311compressed.jpg

Blinding up the rear windscreen completely, this guy doesn't seem to care about the traffic behind. And yes, he did drive like a lunatic!
Old 6th February 2017, 09:13   #8997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
To add insult to the injury, as I had slowed down to a stop because he was in the way, promptly got rear ended by a couple of guys on a Pulsar (loud thud at the end).
You blocked this guy to prove a point, don't you? You need to keep an eye on who is behind you before you pull such moves in the future.
ecenandu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 09:33   #8998
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
To add insult to the injury, as I had slowed down to a stop because he was in the way, promptly got rear ended by a couple of guys on a Pulsar (loud thud at the end).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
You blocked this guy to prove a point, don't you? You need to keep an eye on who is behind you before you pull such moves in the future.
I'd like to think that he saved those Pulsar dudes from a worse accident If they couldn't stop behind a car travelling in the same direction, imagine their fate if they met this Dzire head-on!

Having said that, I don't see sajo's braking as very abrupt (not that abrupt braking is an excuse for rear-ending), so even if he'd had to stop behind traffic in the right direction, or for a pedestrian crossing the road, the rear-ending would have still happened due to the inattention of the Pulsar guys.
arunphilip is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 09:37   #8999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
I don't think it was sajo's mistake. The thumb rule is not to change the lanes abruptly, especially when driving in a location like Hinjewadi. Also, he wasn't doing good speeds either.
Though there was enough room for him to take the left lane and continue, I guess that would have been equally disastrous (because of bikers overtaking from left side).
pkulkarni.2106 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 09:52   #9000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post
I don't think it was sajo's mistake. The thumb rule is not to change the lanes abruptly, especially when driving in a location like Hinjewadi. Also, he wasn't doing good speeds either.
Though there was enough room for him to take the left lane and continue, I guess that would have been equally disastrous (because of bikers overtaking from left side).
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
I'd like to think that he saved those Pulsar dudes from a worse accident If they couldn't stop behind a car travelling in the same direction, imagine their fate if they met this Dzire head-on!

Having said that, I don't see sajo's braking as very abrupt (not that abrupt braking is an excuse for rear-ending), so even if he'd had to stop behind traffic in the right direction, or for a pedestrian crossing the road, the rear-ending would have still happened due to the inattention of the Pulsar guys.
I was just trying to pass on a lesson which my uncle taught me. Always keep an eye on vehicles behind you while driving. I am not natural at that, in fact I am quite bad at it.

I have done similar moves like Sajo and blocked people like the Dzire guy to prove a point, even though I could have easily given way for them. Hence that comment.

Last edited by ecenandu : 6th February 2017 at 09:54.
ecenandu is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks