Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2017, 20:48   #9061
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

I read that. And under the head Warnings, this too.

Quote:
Do not coast. You don't have as much control of the car, it is illegal in many countries including the UK and the US, your engine is more likely to cut out too and if you have a modern stop/start feature car your engine's stop start function can break. If your engine cuts out you will lose power steering and will lose control of the car!
I was trying to dissuade a friend from coasting in neutral while going downhill. He asked me whether I knew more than wiki. And, showed me the previously quoted advice on wiki.

Safety freak that I am, I asked him to read the article till the end. He didn't. Last heard, he still hasn't. I am pretty sure, he never will.

I should have specified this context clearly. My bad.
Old 2nd March 2017, 21:07   #9062
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
... He asked me whether I knew more than wiki.
People need to be educated as to what wikipedia is and how it is written: by ordinary people who don't have to be experts or even know what they are talking about. You could try telling your friend that even he could write/edit articles on driving for Wikipedia!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2017, 21:22   #9063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
You could try telling your friend that even he could write/edit articles on driving for Wikipedia!
God forbid! He would happily edit and add that coasting in neutral would be doubly beneficial as it would save fuel since no gears are engaged and yet the car is in motion.

He used to ride a Pulsar earlier. Coasted down the roads with the ignition off. Hence, I am just happy that he keeps his car engine running .
Old 2nd March 2017, 23:23   #9064
BHPian

Does not necessarily qualify as a bad driver, I am posting it because I find it very strange, and dangerous too. On my way home last evening there was a car infront of me with both indicators blinking. Oh wait, it's not the standard hazard lights on. There was a certain rhythm in the duration in which the lights are on: it's kind of two short ones and a long one, repeated. The owner must have thought it to be an ingenious idea.

I have a thing against driving with hazard lights on. In our country even cops encourage it in low visibility conditions. It is supposed to warn others that you are stationary. How will people know that you are stationary (with hazard lights on) when everybody drives around with flashing indicators? In my opinion our usage defeats the original purpose of hazard lights.
Old 2nd March 2017, 23:34   #9065
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
God forbid! He would happily edit and add that coasting in neutral would be doubly beneficial as it would save fuel since no gears are engaged and yet the car is in motion.
It is standard UK mini-cab technique. And guess what: many times that I have noticed it is done by drivers from one of the countries in this sub-continent.

(mind you: I have probably fallen into many statistical potholes there!)
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 04:44   #9066
BHPian

Came across this video recently:

I am just speechless to see what these people are doing on a busy road.
Why in this world one needs to do this? I mean there are many other ways of showing off your talent than risking other's life. Hope someone doesn't come up with a world record performing such stunts.

Last edited by Hrishi_111 : 3rd March 2017 at 04:45.
Hrishi_111 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th March 2017, 02:06   #9067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Upon looking at them, I find them that they are either my friends or someone known to me. Their intention would not be to overtake you or jump signal or anything like that ! They just want to signal you that they have seen you at some place at some time.
Yep. This has happened to me. I heard a series of thumping noise on my LH door when stopped at a signal and though I was peeved and was about to shout at the person, I realized that it was an old friend, whom I have not seen for a long time.

But I am not too sure that I condone this behavior - can be pretty distracting and cause some lapse in concentration which might be dangerous.
Old 9th March 2017, 08:43   #9068
BHPian

Driver of Innova : KA 03 MM 4659 : Owner Anant Aragula

Idiotic driver blocks the opposite oncoming lane on a curve in a two way lane. Appears to be dropping madam and kid to school.

Madam is unapologetic to the antics of the driver, aloff and is busy on the phone, giving a damn to the issues created by his driver to the public. Not sure if seat belts are worn.

If educated citizens behave like this, not sure where the conditions will lead to.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-idiot.jpg  

Old 9th March 2017, 09:57   #9069
Senior - BHPian

One one side of the spectrum, where pictures of exotic cars are being displayed the number plates are blanked out to respect privacy.

Here, in this thread, the number plate and owners name are being displayed that too in bold, so that no one misses it. Guys, should we allow this that too with little proof. Posting a video is different atleast there is proof.
ecenandu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 10:28   #9070
BANNED

Quote:
I read that. And under the head Warnings, this too.

I was trying to dissuade a friend from coasting in neutral while going downhill. He asked me whether I knew more than wiki. And, showed me the previously quoted advice on wiki.

Safety freak that I am, I asked him to read the article till the end. He didn't. Last heard, he still hasn't. I am pretty sure, he never will.

I should have specified this context clearly. My bad.
Reminds me of a friend many many years ago in late nineties.

One day we were going to Ponmudi which is a small hill station in Trivandrum on our bikes and there was a friend who was very mileage conscious. Going up the hill he was the last one to reach the top as he was using throttle very judiciously taking care to save fuel. The road to ponmudi is narrow with 22 hairpin bends.

We had a nice time up there, we did some trekking and as evening approached we were starting our way back home. All of us were riding slow in gear and suddenly one guy overtakes us all going down the hill in neutral smiling from ear to ear We yell to him in malayalam "gear ittu poda ****** brake kittila" which when roughly translated means "dude you cant control with brakes alone, put in gear and go". He did not listen and vanishes down the hill riding on gravitational wave thinking about fuel savings and reaching first!

When we reach the next hairpin we find his pillion standing in the middle of the road cursing and this guy and his bike on the side saved by some bushes and a tree from going off the road into the ravine. Both of them were Ok except few rashes and bruises and the bike was mostly OK except for broken mirror bent crash guard and foot peg etc. and it was ride-able. He will never forget that day and the lesson he learnt.
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 13:07   #9071
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Posting a video is different atleast there is proof.
+1 to this.

I'm not suspecting the authenticity of the incident narrated. But, when accusatory messages are posted with all the details of owner/vehicle photo without much of a back-up evidence, this trend can result in mis-use of forum.

That is a highly potential hazard and it will be difficult to control.
Sree73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 14:11   #9072
Senior - BHPian

How greedy or stupid can one be? The ambulance driver had to literally shove him to give way. .
Old 9th March 2017, 14:58   #9073
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One one side of the spectrum, where pictures of exotic cars are being displayed the number plates are blanked out to respect privacy.
Where a car is photographed in a public place I do not see the need to blank the number plate in any context. It is a public thing in a public place.

Anyway, getting one's car pictured in this thread is nothing much. What notice are the [alleged] perpetrators going take? What effect will have on their lives? Sadly, little or none.

(It seems to me to be the most odd to blank out the numbers of celebrity cars, when they and their celebrity owners are well known to all who take an interest in such things)
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 15:39   #9074
BHPian

Not sure if this belongs here, mods please change if needed.
How often do you see a vehicle being towed away WITH the owner on/in it?

Link:
Old 9th March 2017, 16:01   #9075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Where a car is photographed in a public place I do not see the need to blank the number plate in any context. It is a public thing in a public place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
+1 to this.

I'm not suspecting the authenticity of the incident narrated. But, when accusatory messages are posted with all the details of owner/vehicle photo without much of a back-up evidence, this trend can result in mis-use of forum.

That is a highly potential hazard and it will be difficult to control.
Quote:

Here, in this thread, the number plate and owners name are being displayed that too in bold, so that no one misses it. Guys, should we allow this that too with little proof. Posting a video is different atleast there is proof.

Apologies Gentlemen for not uploading the whole spectrum of photograph.

Bear the image quality

More information as requested attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-iodt_2.jpg  

Most Viewed