Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2017, 18:44   #9076
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It is a public thing in a public place.
I don't agree with your school of thought, Thad. There should be gradation in allegations as well, if you are calling out a person in public attach enough evidence as well. Otherwise you can very well narrate whatever has happened, excuse the calling out part.
ecenandu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 18:51   #9077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Where a car is photographed in a public place...
While your argument on celebrity cars makes sense, I would, in all humility, like to differ from your public thing in a public place remark.

A car is a private property being driven/parked on public roads - as much as I am a private individual making use of public property. If I am photographed while jaywalking on a busy road, one can name and shame me by all means. But, if I am standing on the roadside after allegedly jaywalking, one cannot capture me in a photo and post it on a public forum. The photograph alone doesn't constitute enough proof of my wrongdoing. More importantly, the photograph would have been taken without my knowledge when I am not doing anything wrong. And, if I notice someone pointing a camera at me, will I pose - for the photo OR pose a question?

Likewise, any owner would rightfully object to his car being photographed by a stranger. In case of quarrels/spats, we do photograph the other party and car purely as a precautionary and evidentiary measure. Usually, in such cases of road rage, both parties claim to be the aggrieved ones and accuse the other of causing the accident. A dash camera footage can prove to be almost conclusive here because it records the event as it is happening. Whereas a photograph is usually taken after the incident. Therefore, a photograph accompanied by a video evidence need not mask the number.

However, posting the photo of a car (number unmasked) on a public (but partially private) forum without clear evidence of misdemeanor may lead to complications - especially if the car owner has evidence to the contrary.

Agreed that as Bhpians we tend to be most often on the correct side and are aware of the rights and wrongs of the commuting world. But being a bit more careful in using the vitriolic fluid and masking the number plates would keep us on the right side of law and righteousness.

After all, as you have very rightly pointed out:

Quote:
Anyway, getting one's car pictured in this thread is nothing much. What notice are the [alleged] perpetrators going take? What effect will have on their lives? Sadly, little or none

Last edited by dailydriver : 9th March 2017 at 18:54.
dailydriver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 19:35   #9078
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
How greedy or stupid can one be? The ambulance driver had to literally shove him to give way. .
What an absolute idiot! Is there a way he can be prosecuted for not giving way to an ambulance?
Old 10th March 2017, 16:32   #9079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
How greedy or stupid can one be? The ambulance driver had to literally shove him to give way. .
I think Law should excuse Ambulance/fire vehicles for touching , rubbing other vehicles, if need be, while it is carrying the patients.

Reason: Life is more important than materialistic values(Car or Bike) possessed by these idiots

I think, this is the only way, you can teach lessons to such "Intelligent and Smart" Taxi /Bike Drivers.

Last edited by gkveda : 10th March 2017 at 16:35.
Old 10th March 2017, 16:44   #9080
BHPian

Definitely a bad driver if you see him rolling across the windshield...

Last edited by WindRide : 10th March 2017 at 16:47.
Old 10th March 2017, 17:31   #9081
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
I think Law should excuse Ambulance/fire vehicles for touching , rubbing other vehicles, if need be, while it is carrying the patients.

Reason: Life is more important than materialistic values(Car or Bike) possessed by these idiots

I think, this is the only way, you can teach lessons to such "Intelligent and Smart" Taxi /Bike Drivers.
That can lead to bigger problems. See this video, from NCR Noida. A man taking his pregnant wife to hospital accidentally brushed a lady's car. Watch what happened next.

Old 15th March 2017, 18:00   #9082
Senior - BHPian

This video of a (alleged) Bengaluru cop talking on mobile while riding a bike has left the Police department sour faced.

We do not know for sure whether the person in the video is indeed a policeman - his helmet being the only mark of identification here. Even if he is not, he is certainly on the wrong side of the law.
Old 16th March 2017, 19:39   #9083
BHPian

Two fails in one minute!

Check out the crazy biker at 0:05. Also check out the KSEB Omni fail at around 0:30. The sliding door was not closed and it was slamming away to glory when the driver made the turn. The sound was actually audible to us! Sorry had to cut the audio as there were plenty of expletives flying around

GeneralJazz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 20:28   #9084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post

Check out the crazy biker at 0:05
Very often I have seen this. The moment it starts to drizzle/rain or if the skies darken, the two wheeler riders start riding like crazy and and start taking all sorts of risks presumably to outrun the rain.

Hope they realise that they could get drenched in a lot more than just water if things go wrong on the rain slicked roads.
Ramon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 22:30   #9085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post

Check out the crazy biker at 0:05.
Really crazy guy. But, atleast he is wearing a helmet.
Now, quite often I can see bikers who have their brains on left elbows. They are protecting their little brains by hanging the helmet around the left elbow
Sree73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 10:52   #9086
Senior - BHPian

Today morning while coming to office, I was driving down on a straight road and my speed was around 30kmph. There are few cross roads in that area and its a residential locality. Suddenly out of nowhere a dzire comes speeding down from one of these cross roads and turns left on to road that I am driving on straight on my path. I had to literally stomp on my brakes hard and stop. And when I honked, the gentleman (I am swearing at him with better words even now) looks in his rear view mirror , asks me what happened and before even waiting for my response he drives off. And he was not a cabbie but a well dressed person (looks more like us, the IT junta). Was worried for a second about the people in my car as I carpool and would have been cursing myself if there was any accident and any of them were injured because of this.

Attaching a pic for reference. Red line is the path that the dzire took while green line is my car's path.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-carturn.jpg

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 17th March 2017 at 11:20.
Old 17th March 2017, 12:17   #9087
Senior - BHPian

Classic case of my way is always right of way! People are choosing to ignore the basic rules of driving on road. Stop before merging onto a main road, indicators etc etc.

It is getting scarier day by day
deathwalkr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 13:49   #9088
Distinguished - BHPian

Usually bikers refusing to turn the head from straight-ahead to check for oncoming traffic, but cars too. And if you had hit the guy? Endless argument, probably, with no acceptance of law or common sense.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 14:29   #9089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
And when I honked, the gentleman (I am swearing at him with better words even now) looks in his rear view mirror, asks me what happened and before even waiting for my response he drives off. And he was not a cabbie but a well-dressed person (looks more like us, the IT junta).
At least he seemed to have acknowledged your protest against his stunt. I'd like to assume that he was maybe aware of his stupidity and hence he bothered to react to your honk.

Had it been Delhi NCR, trust me he would have driven off with a straight face. People here do such things, sometimes, even worse, and then drive away as if nothing happened. I have tried to drive up to the erring guy to show my protest and they just don't look in your direction. Having said that, it is no doubt getting scarier by the day, whether it is Delhi or anywhere else in India.
lordvader is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 21:40   #9090
Senior - BHPian

The Leaning Tower of Tata

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-forumrunner_20170319_213907.png
schakravarthy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed