Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2017, 01:31   #9121
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinih75 View Post
If we split technicalities then yes, it is legal. But driving reverse on a busy street because I missed a turn so I need to get back is plain stupidity. Imagine a scenario where 10 people do that to us on a street at the same time. All 10 are legally right, but then the road will be choked. In my view what that driver did was dumb. He could have knocked a person down without knowing it and seriously hurt if not killed a pedestrian.
Any person driving in reverse should be as c areful to make sure that doesn't happen as they are when driving forward.

I would certainly agree that reversing on a busy road, in the way of oncoming traffic, legal or not, is wrong.
Quote:
In fact, I have seen bikers push their motorcycles when signal is red using pedestrian crossing lines and then go on their bikes once they are done crossing the path. It is technically correct to, so may be I can push my car to another side and claim I am a person on foot with a car as my luggage!
Haha, yes, I suppose you could!

Pushing the bike with the pedestrians is a common trick of British pedal cyclists. Motor bikers usually wait with the cars. what surprises me in what you saw is that the bikers bothered to get off and push! Many would just ride.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2017, 01:54   #9122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Ok, let me ask you this: In your opinion, is it legal to reverse on any city street? I'm specifying city streets since most Indian city streets see vehicular traffic 24/7.
Referring some rules and its interpretation, reversing on a city street in the wrong direction is prohibited.

Please see http://delhigovt.nic.in/newdelhi/dep...sport/tr1a.asp

Now oneway street can be interpreted as:

1) The designated one way roads
2) If there is two lane traffic then each lane is one way.

If you miss a turn, then its better you drive a little ahead and come back.
sunishsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2017, 09:11   #9123
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted a Scorpio Zoomcar zooming out of a clear red signal crossing the junction in such a cool calm manner, the affected parties? Me, who saw him coming from a mile and stopped 20 feet away and a cabbie who thought that green is his right to move (cabbies also love to move in red, anyway) and got quite close to the Scorpio (1-2 feet) as he stomped away at high speeds. What's spoiling the rental car drivers fun? The car isn't his and when the cameras catch his violation only the company will be sent the ticket I suppose. Worst case the Zoomcar becomes a boom-car and he jumps out and walks like the other 1000 people before him.

KTM Duke pops out of nowhere, turns to my lane (right lane), pops a wheelie and changes lanes again to disappear. Motor-circus? Or is it just a threat of suicide-banging?

A two-wheeler diagonally crossed at Forum Mall, mounted the median and hopped off happily while I and a few others had to process this unbelievable action (he was going slow, delightfully ensuring that all 3 lanes surrender to his crossing) and push the brakes in panic, I stopped well before him as usual while the others, not so much, the car in the middle lane would've clipped his rear tyre if he was a second late in braking.

Its all normal, ain't it? Nothing surprises us anymore, nothing shocks us anymore, we simply have learnt to take it, to adjust and to move on. Signals are simply, representative of a rule that exists in the books, to follow it or not is your choice, lane rules are represented by nothing so everything goes including making a 3-lane one-way road into a 6-lane 2 way road with 20 diagonal crossings. Remove a couple of stones from the median and smooth it out with sand and you have a DIY bike-crossing junction.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2017, 10:23   #9124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Its all normal, ain't it? Nothing surprises us anymore, nothing shocks us anymore, we simply have learnt to take it, to adjust and to move on. Signals are simply, representative of a rule that exists in the books, to follow it or not is your choice, lane rules are represented by nothing so everything goes including making a 3-lane one-way road into a 6-lane 2 way road with 20 diagonal crossings. Remove a couple of stones from the median and smooth it out with sand and you have a DIY bike-crossing junction.
This looks bad on us as a society that we have such scant regard for the inconvenience caused to others by our actions. Roads, queues, and any place that requires some bit of self-discipline to function normally becomes a mess because all of us are operating in an apocalypse survival mode all the time. Educated or not, it just doesn't matter, our primal instincts (some say colonial mindset) just takes over whenever it requires us to be patient, considerate and abide by the rules.

On road, I have stopped expecting people to drive sanely and to retain my sanity, I constantly remind myself to keep my ego out of this equation.

Mods, please feel free to delete the post if doesn't add to the topic.

Last edited by lordvader : 28th March 2017 at 10:26.
Old 28th March 2017, 11:04   #9125
Distinguished - BHPian

Relax guys, we can keep on discussing what is legal and what's not. Out there on the street nothing matters. Especially on Indian roads. Anything and everything goes. When people involved in DUI and murders can get away with it, what's wrong with a guy simply reversing.

This is India and we are the middle class, so keep calm and drive on.
Dry Ice is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2017, 12:42   #9126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Referring some rules and its interpretation, reversing on a city street in the wrong direction is prohibited.

Please see http://delhigovt.nic.in/newdelhi/dep...sport/tr1a.asp

Now oneway street can be interpreted as:

1) The designated one way roads
2) If there is two lane traffic then each lane is one way.

If you miss a turn, then its better you drive a little ahead and come back.
Thanks Sunishsamuel - One of the reasons I visit this thread is to understand what are the traits that make Team Bhp'ians consider to be bad driving. There's so many aspects that I've learnt from others perspectives and I do hope I don't ever make it to this thread as a perp.

The link that you've sent has this quote as well, "DO NOT DRIVE BACKWARDS longer than necessary, and do ensure that you do not cause danger or inconvenience to any other person or vehicle while doing so."

In the video, the guy is reversing with his hazard lights, and at a cautious pace. I still do not believe this to be a case of a bad driver. However many of the videos that he posted seem to be irrelevant here, so its not surprising.
Old 1st April 2017, 12:45   #9127
Distinguished - BHPian

Had bumped into this channel on youtube a few months back, and today it appeared on my feed again. Look at how this driver tails a much faster, powerful and safer Innova and at times, I wonder how he can come so close to the Innova at triple digit speeds. Its just pure luck that the Innova did not experiment with his brakes or this youtube video would have had a different note altogether.

And reading the comments on that video makes me clearly understand the cause of a lot of accidents.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2017, 13:03   #9128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Had b-----SNIP-----h?v=RqdMPcKgJqw[/url]
They're both idiots. Had they even crashed into one another, it would have a good deletion from the gene pool.
Someone else's "hard way" learning made me realise that there is no point in having a red-mist descend while driving on the highway. There are WAY too many variables as it is without one's own rash driving thrown in as well.
mayankk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2017, 16:29   #9129
Team-BHP Support

Our beloved Bangalore-Mysore road never fails to disappoint.

The joker here, an overloaded Indica cabbie with a Mysore registration, swinging lanes at will, a couple of times dangerously close to my car. I backed off to enlarge the gap, but he just seemed intent to hang around and show off his maneuvering skills.

On a relatively free Mandya-Maddur stretch with dhabas in a line, this guy just slams his brakes from triple-digit speeds, and stops on the left lane (one of his passengers apparently wants a tender coconut). Not on the road shoulder, right on the lane! I was sufficiently far away to slow down and ready to stop, but another of his brethren tailgating me swung lanes only to realize another idiot in an old-gen Verna had stopped on the fast lane to take a u-turn on a blind curve without any indicators on, and swung wildly back right in front of me, only to realize he's too close to his brother-from-the-wild-cabbie-hood.

I missed being part of a high-speed pile up by about half-a second and a hundred meters.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 1st April 2017 at 16:31.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2017, 10:21   #9130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Had bumped into this channel on Youtube a few months back, and today it appeared on my feed again. Look at how this driver tails a much faster, powerful and safer Innova and at times, I wonder how he can come so close to the Innova at triple digit speeds. Its just pure luck that the Innova did not experiment with his brakes or this Youtube video would have had a different note altogether.

And reading the comments on that video makes me clearly understand the cause of a lot of accidents.
His feed is filled with such antics - from checking top speed of his car on public highway, to overtaking convoys, to constantly indulging in racing and one-upmanship.

I hope someone drills some sense into him before he injures himself or someone else on the roads.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 21:30   #9131
BHPian

Bad traffic, horrible road manners and tailgating. Mix all three and you get this:

You go left, I go right. Wait your right or my right?

Hey! I thought you'd break the law too! No fair!

GeneralJazz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 14:37   #9132
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

This morning I was on the scooter and I hear a loud, intermittent and irritating honking pattern. Quick check on the mirrors and I see a moron on a Scooty trying to zig zag his way out of slow moving morning traffic by honking madly. Obviously, the guy isn't wearing a helmet

To top this, as soon as he goes past me, I'm shocked to see that the entire instrument cluster on the Scooty is missing and there is a large gaping hole
Old 5th April 2017, 22:47   #9133
BHPian

Few weeks ago there was an incident where the NICE road towards Hosur Road was being black topped. In that commotion there was a jam built up. Now comes a Honda Mobilio. Looks like it was barely few months old. He was impatient and wanted to squeeze in between a truck and the barricade that was in front of him. Heard a thud, some crunch and saw the car go past me ahead of the lorry. The lorry couldn't move (some thick black cloud of smoke was seen). Later saw it move up and down like it climbed on a coconut or brick. Saw the smashed ROVRM assembly. Not sure if the car guy realized it at that instant or I am sure later may have found, but I say it is a good case for - haste makes waste. I am thinking of investing on a dashcam now to capture such foolish behavior of people.

Last edited by srinih75 : 5th April 2017 at 22:49. Reason: Fixed some errors
Old 6th April 2017, 09:38   #9134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinih75 View Post
I am thinking of investing on a dashcam now to capture such foolish behavior of people.
No doubt. Adding the dashcam not only helps me, but also reminds me constantly that I should drive safe and responsibly.

Get two if your budget allows for. One for front and one for rear.

As they say "In India look both ways even if you are crossing one way street.".

You will be surprised to see how people drive behind you and how hard they brake in signals and while overtaking.

I bet, after you watch few clips from your car, you will never take your eyes off rear view mirrors. Ever since I have got it, my instinct always puts me in the "Clock Hand Rotation Mode". My eyes constantly scan the RVM, Front Right Windshield, Right ORVM, Front Left windshielf, Left ORVM, RVM.

And I have actually stopped chit chatting, arguing or shouting with fellow passengers (parents and sibling) while driving after watching few clips.

A drivers emotional status directly reflects his driving and decision making on road.

Life for safe drivers has become even more tough and hard. We follow rules, but are forced to break it and if we don't, we bring issues on us.

Only option for us is to Plan (start early), Decide (Route decision), Act (Path of least resistance).
Old 6th April 2017, 10:12   #9135
BHPian

Hot summer? why don't we cover almost half of the windshield? No one was sitting on passenger seat. Isn't this stupid and dangerous practice?
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20170406-10_05_40img_20170406_093608.png  

techcoze is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks