Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2017, 10:30   #9136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Bad traffic, horrible road manners and tailgating. Mix all three and you get this:
I think there is another overlooked reason for this. I personally hate being behind a KSRTC bus, goods carrying auto or any auto for that matter and trucks purely because while government is busy banning sale of BS3 motors, ensuring 2 wheeler manufacturers implement Auto Headlight On feature and abs blah blah, no one bothers to check the road worthiness of vehicles that are already plying the roads; half these goddamn things have no working brake lights forget indicators I have even seen some KSRTC buses with metal sheets covering the brake lights that already don't work seems like no one is bothered about this and cops only bother to check for KA registration.
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 20:21   #9137
Senior - BHPian

Today while I was returning home in the evening in our i20, a biker come from wrong side on divided road. The road is four lane road in city. I was on right lane (near to divider). I stopped in front of him as he did not had put the bike's headlight On (sun had set), just his left indicator as he wanted to cross the median.

When I stopped in front of him, his first question was "Don't you see the indicator?"
I said "First you are on wrong side, second you had not put on headlight". Should I give you ₹2 for the petrol (U saved(?)) by avoiding long U Turn?"
On this he said "what will you do if teeth are broken"?
I think he was talking about breaking my teeth if I had given him ₹2 for the petrol though he did not take my name (means he did not say " What will you do if I break your teeth for how dare you talk to me like this?") I was alone in the car.

Any helpful tips for me to keep in mind if God Forbid I have to face such situation again in future.
Old 6th April 2017, 20:29   #9138
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Any helpful tips for me to keep in mind if God Forbid I have to face such situation again in future.
De-escalate the situation and avoid a potential road rage incident, it is simply not worth it. Just stay safe and avoid such encounters.

Alternatively, get a dash cam fixed and post the still picture of the vehicle on the Public Eye website of Bangalore Traffic Police.

Last edited by NPV : 6th April 2017 at 20:31.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 20:34   #9139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
When I stopped in front of him, his first question was "Don't you see the indicator?"
I said "First you are on wrong side, second you had not put on headlight". Should I give you ₹2 for the petrol (U saved(?)) by avoiding long U Turn?"
On this he said "what will you do if teeth are broken"?

If you can avoid crashing into such a person WITHOUT risking yours or the life of someone else on the road, then avoid him and move on as if nothing happened. If you feel its not possible to avoid him or you might end up hitting someone else trying to avoid such idiots, just continue how you were driving. Even if something inevitable happens, fault is mainly on the other persons side and you can always take help of the law. However, if the confrontation can be avoided, it is best avoided. Such people deserve to be run over by something like a truck or a bus, not your precious car.
audioholic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 10:59   #9140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
lane discipline !!!!!! if anybody has the b***s to impliment this one single thing, our roads would become, faster, safer and better for life in general !!!
You bet! IMHO, the problem starts young. When one is, say on a cycle, there are no "rules of the road" that they are told to follow. I remember when I was a kid that riding on the main roads was a strict no. Further, cycles had to be fitted with a headlight and a reflective light at the rear. Non compliance on this would invite the wrath of the law enforcement.

People then "graduate" to a scooter / motorcycle and there again, they are not taught on lane discipline. In fact, the figure of 8 test probably makes people on two wheels think that they are better of if they can weave through traffic rather than move in as straight a line as possible.

When they subsequently get into vehicles on 4 wheels, old habits die hard. They seem to think that every little bit of space that is available is usable by them irrespective of whether they are fast enough for that lane or if they are due to turn.
swissknife is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 13:33   #9141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Even if something inevitable happens, fault is mainly on the other persons side and you can always take help of the law.
A slight alternate view, Do not take HELP of law in spite of hearing all good deeds and governance news of public offices.

The most efficient and optimistic option is to AVOID confrontation and MOVE ON.

If you even consider in your remotest of thoughts of going by the law and taking HELP of law, you will be in shock at the flow of events unless you have really amazing political, public official connections.

Have Dash Cam and NEVER EVER surrender or submit the footage to Police. Always keep it in your custody and make as much copies as possible and store it in Cloud. Keep the original copy with you safely for submission in court, if possible with a dependable relative and mention of dash cam footage only if you see issues escalating beyond control. Give duplicate copy only to Police Station if they force you and GO THERE only if your lawyer asks you to. He/She should represent you in Police Station and should have Habeas corpus petition in highest court of that location (District,Magistrate,HC) ready if you are visiting Police Station in person.

Remember, COURT OF LAW is supreme. Not Police Station.
prithm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th April 2017, 12:12   #9142
BHPian

So it looks like many drivers in India will need training on how to take a turn or how to follow a curvy road. Its pretty unsafe when you are not able to take a turn properly and control your car without over steering. Illustrating what i am trying to explain. When the road ahead of you is a curve you need to still stick to your lane and not cross over to the adjacent lane or have your car in between the lanes just because you over steer every time.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-curve.png

Experiencing this on a daily basis and sad no one realizes the need for sticking to their lane at all times. Sometimes people get dangerously close while negotiating a curve and it is scary.
sunishsamuel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th April 2017, 13:38   #9143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post

Experiencing this on a daily basis and sad no one realizes the need for sticking to their lane at all times. Sometimes people get dangerously close while negotiating a curve and it is scary.
This is one if the reasons for accidents around a curve. Trust me many drivers overtake the vehicle ahead of them along a curve not realising that a fellow moronic driver would do the same on a undivided 2 lane road resulting in accident
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 02:02   #9144
Distinguished - BHPian

I need opinions, if possible from Bangalore folk but all-India opinions are most welcome as well.

This is about bad riders, bad being an understatement. I'm talking specifically about a "food delivery" service that has become quite the rage in the city, for the benefit of the forum lets say that the name begins from S and ends with Y.

Their riders do the following antics while riding :
1) Going against one way
2) Jumping red light
3) 1+2 i.e jumping red light while going against one way.
4) Rash, careless, absolutely homicidal riding
5) Errant parking, always parking vertical in horizontal and vice versa

I've tried to take them on at ground level, i.e once I blocked a rider off as he attempted to get his way against a one way, he simply rashly turned right and gave an oncoming vehicle behind me a jolt before bolting. Once I blocked a rider coming out against a one-way road entrance, it turned into a name-calling battle until I'd to give way yet again due to others asking me to move on (I was outside the vehicle ready to rumble ).

It simply is beyond me how anyone would call this country developed and have psychotic, anarchy loving criminals out and about. Today more than ever it seems ok to sit back, accept all these transgressions deny that anything is wrong with society, I'm not willing to be part of that, and hence comes my question :

Legally, what is needed to nail them? Can be either delivery guys, the aggregator company or both. Or is it better that we do negative publicity right here and through social media? I want to cut these guys down a size, and I dont mind wasting a bit of my time for that, is it worth it? I want our roads safe again.

Last edited by dark.knight : 10th April 2017 at 02:14.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 02:32   #9145
BANNED

Posting about an incident that happened a few months back. Its still etched in the memory since it was the first time when I have accidentally hit another car(although its a different matter whose fault it was).

So I am in my chevy spark with my 4 friends cruising at a good 50kmph. (I don't remember seeing the speedo, but I was in 4th and above 50 I can easily make out the engine's whine and upshift if i want to go any faster). This was on the Sri Aurobindo marg in delhi, when you go from INA to AIIMS under the flyover. My lane was completely empty as far as i could see, suddenly I see a dim light in front of me. It seems like a slower moving car as I could see two lights, but none bright enough such as a brake light. So i lifted off the throttle at least. Then as i got closer, it turned out the car was completely stopped all this time!! I'm talking standing still without hazards on in the 2nd lane from the divider in an 8 laned road where everybody is doing 50-60Kmph minimum. So as i realised this, I jammed the brakes obviously, I saw to my right, there was another car so I could not swerve. It seemed i would be able to stop, but I was wrong. i did end up hitting the standing celerio at about 7-10 Kmph eventually. I was angry, but mostly scared at that time. Because as it would seem to everybody, I just hit a car that was not even moving. So I was just sitting there for about 20-30 sec waiting for its driver to come out and give me a mouthful. But nothing happened, it was just sitting there , and still no brake lights mind you. And that car even had that rear bull bar.

So then I made my mistake, I tried to back up a bit, there was an alto behind me which turned out to be closer than I thought So i ended up nudging that, Then i switched lane and tried to keep going as before. Now 10 seconds later, the celerio guy is coming at me from the left telling me to stop, I couldn't see any damage to his car. I didn't bother stopping at first, then he starts driving dangerously as if he was in a slalom course. Left without a choice, i stopped at a side. They guy comes out,accuses me of being drunk (I've never taken a sip in my life) tells me why i couldn't see his car. I try to explain that it was still in the middle of the road and i did brake that's why it was such a slow impact.

All this time i was still in the car, just half the window open and still holding the key in my hand.(You know how road rage turns in delhi). I politely apologised saying that I had tried my best to brake and asked him to check what damage had been caused to his car. He proceeded to his car, his bull bar seemed to have misaligned a little, one knock and it was back in shape. And then he got in the car and rushed away.

And now the Alto guy comes out too and tells me to drive carefully. clearly nothing was damaged on his car as he didn't have much else to say. I'm not aware of how far behind me he was before the impact, but yeah at that time, it seemed like I was stuck had i not backed up.

I agree that it was a mistake on my part that I backed up, but the the first problem was the celerio standing without even a brake light on(let alone hazards).

Has anybody else experienced something like this? Do share your experiences
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 09:40   #9146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
I need opinions, if possible from Bangalore folk but all-India opinions are most welcome as well.

This is about bad riders, bad being an understatement. I'm talking specifically about a "food delivery" service that has become quite the rage in the city, for the benefit of the forum lets say that the name begins from S and ends with Y.

Their riders do the following antics while riding :
1) Going against one way
2) Jumping red light
3) 1+2 i.e jumping red light while going against one way.
4) Rash, careless, absolutely homicidal riding
5) Errant parking, always parking vertical in horizontal and vice versa

I've tried to take them on at ground level, i.e once I blocked a rider off as he attempted to get his way against a one way, he simply rashly turned right and gave an oncoming vehicle behind me a jolt before bolting. Once I blocked a rider coming out against a one-way road entrance, it turned into a name-calling battle until I'd to give way yet again due to others asking me to move on (I was outside the vehicle ready to rumble ).

It simply is beyond me how anyone would call this country developed and have psychotic, anarchy loving criminals out and about. Today more than ever it seems ok to sit back, accept all these transgressions deny that anything is wrong with society, I'm not willing to be part of that, and hence comes my question :

Legally, what is needed to nail them? Can be either delivery guys, the aggregator company or both. Or is it better that we do negative publicity right here and through social media? I want to cut these guys down a size, and I dont mind wasting a bit of my time for that, is it worth it? I want our roads safe again.
Mate, if you look at these home delivery system, beyond a certain time frame, the food items shall be delivered to the customer free of cost. At the same time delivering the food before the specified time frame is a kind of marketing gimmick to attract customers. For all this, the scape goat is the delivery boy.
I feel he is under tremendous pressure to do this. Not that I am justifying his acts considering the chaotic traffic situation in a city like Bangalore. We need to target not the delivery boy but the management who enforce such suicidal rules.
Old 10th April 2017, 10:02   #9147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Has anybody else experienced something like this? Do share your experiences
I have, though never from your perspective. I was driving in my Kizashi over to my friend's place in Secunderabad on route through Begumpet road. This happened just after I passed shopperstop onto the next flyover: there was a Renault Duster driving rashly, he had overtaken me a couple of times but I was ahead of him at that point in time while he was right behind me. As I began ascending the flyover, I heard a loud bang from up ahead and a Renault Logan ahead of me went and rear-ended some other car which had already rear-ended another. With the Duster breathing down my neck, this was going to be a massive pile-up so I mashed the throttle and zoomed ahead a bit to gain a little speed and distance and then braked on and off to give the Duster fair warning and space to stop. This was possible only because of the gap I had and the phenomenal braking the Kizashi had on tap. I made it with about a meter's gap to spare between me and the Logan ahead and thankfully even the rashly driven Duster managed to stop behind me in time. Now about a minute progresses with some Santro guy abusing an Auto who might have been the cause for this whole pile-up and we are just waiting to go on our way so grateful that I prevented this pile-up from getting any longer. Just then the Logan ahead of me decides to back out and move into the next lane in order to get ahead. As soon as I see that he is backing into me too much, I begin flashing my lights and honking but to no avail, dink! he backs into my car's grille. I am so bummed out by now, I get out and luckily I see no damage just a small scratch on the bumper and as I walk over to the Logan to see what he has to say, he just speeds off. I get back into my car and chase him down because the least he could do is apologize and listen to me tell him to look in his rear view mirror atleast while reversing. After I catch up with him I see a scared looking uncle in his 50s with an equally scared looking aunty sitting next to him. I just shook my head and moved on.

Moral of the story: Please do not panic. Panicking leads to you performing far from optimally. That guy in the Logan was probably quite shaken up after rear-ending the car in front of him and seeing the fight that ensued ahead. So shaken up he must not have been thinking enough while backing up into my car. I find it hard to sympathize with the chap since he did scratch my car, but I feel like I understand since there are a lot of people I see everyday making stupid mistakes simply because they are unable to keep calm and instead become very intimidated or flustered by a situation as soon as one tiny piece falls out of place. Act confident, do yoga, do whatever you feel is necessary to be level-headed.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 10th April 2017 at 10:05.
IshaanIan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 10:20   #9148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post

I want to cut these guys down a size, and I don't mind wasting a bit of my time for that, is it worth it? I want our roads safe again.
You are true to your tbhp handle!

On a serious note, shaming or pointing out one's fault just doesn't cut the ice here. People are ready to fight back or suggest that others are also doing this. In some places, it is a genuine problem caused because of how our traffic is regulated or how the infrastructure is. The only way out is if the law gets serious about disciplining such errant riders/drivers.

Coming to the specific case that you mentioned, I guess posting on traffic police twitter and facebook page should get their attention. And multiple posts from multiple people should definitely get someone to take an action against them.
lordvader is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 10:27   #9149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I feel he is under tremendous pressure to do this. Not that I am justifying his acts considering the chaotic traffic situation in a city like Bangalore. We need to target not the delivery boy but the management who enforce such suicidal rules.
I tried complaining about the suicidal habits of delivery boys of Dominos - by going in person to the store as well as using the central helpdesk. Happened more than a year back.

Challenges faced by them:

1) High turnover of staff. Hardly any willing do the delivery job.
2) Most customers are impatient. They order food and expect it in five mins. They get upset at the delivery boys even if they reach on time.
3) Other times, customers take a really long time to get the cash, change and this delays the delivery boy.
4) The security guards in most of the apartment complexes add to the unnecessary delays.

Now the delivery boys will have no choice but to fly. Sometimes i feel the home delivery system should be done with more planning and not by committing 30 mins delivery etc. Its common to see the delivery boys getting into trouble (accident, just misses etc.). This is common for swiggy, foodpanda, all pizza companies, mcdonalds etc.

I am not justifying their actions but i sometimes feel a bit sympathetic towards their case. Especially when they come tired after the ordeal and still trying to smile

Last edited by sunishsamuel : 10th April 2017 at 10:32.
sunishsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 18:05   #9150
Senior - BHPian

The following video compilation covers a variety of bad driving/riding/walking practices. Kolkata Police have done a good work putting in public domain the moronic actions of reckless road users. Have a look.

dailydriver is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks