Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2017, 09:52   #9181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Not just the drivers, hope the owners also get punished as bus drivers claim owners pressurize them to complete trip in one hour or so.

And dude on the bike? He was a risk unto himself as well i guess.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 11:55   #9182
BHPian

Lately, Pune has seen a high rise in the number of women riders and drivers who believe that the road marker on the middle of the road is where the centre of their vehicle should pass on. No amount of horn makes them budge from this position.

Road rage is on a high too. An absolute idiot of a driver in a Silver Beat with some HR number ending in 6364. If you Sir, are reading this, think thrice before you mess with other vehicles on the road the next time. Especially overtaking from left and pushing the car on the right in harms way. This highly offensive idiot can be found driving between Sanjay park on airport road and Business Bay. His side windows are covered with sunshade, wears a shady cap and feels that the road belongs to his papa.

I better start taking an Uber to office!
roadrunner_nv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 16:30   #9183
Senior - BHPian

So this happened on the way to work yesterday [ignore the date in the video ].

Alto with a deathwish:

On my way to work and this moron in a blue alto decides it's time to play need for speed on the roads! Squeezes into my car where even a two wheeler would usually give way then proceeds to drive on like the maniac he is. So many near misses. The number of people who would have cursed him would be lots!

Even that policeman was caught surprised.

Dude if you get to watch this video, slow down! Nothing is worth risking your life and others on the road like this.
deathwalkr is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 17:24   #9184
BHPian

From past few days, kids holidays have started in mumbai & hence the traffic is less at mornings. May be parents are getting a good morning sleep as no school so no rush & also many have gone on vacation with kids so less cars.

But this has increased number of people driving silly.
Either they are Saturday drivers, or drive in these months due to heavy heat rest of the months on bikes.

These guys have a tendency to drive a car just like bike and cutting corners, changing lanes, suddenly halting car for a small pot hole on a empty road at speed 60+ and when you honk, they look at you as if they have seen a moron of first grade honking without any reason.

There is a second variety as well, in car, not confident at all, driving at max speed of 30 & not letting anyone ahead, by blocking both lanes & making sure that they maintain at least 2 cars gap in front of them.

Normally a driver judges the other driver by the way he / she is driving the car, but for such drivers all your guesses go for a toss & you start looking if you really need to re learn driving with a L batch on.

Sometimes I really wish to have a vehicle similar to GI Joe movie where a JCB front is kept folded (Car chase scene after which Eiffel tower is eaten up by the micro robots and all) & on a command that comes out, lifts the car in the front & throws behind. Many times I am on the verge of losing my temper and think of not holding back to let the cars collide, but then a thought comes about the damage to my own car & I always manage to control myself. As may come whatever they will never learn or improve.
Old 4th May 2017, 18:48   #9185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruchir031 View Post
[url]
Just saw this vid on YouTube. What is wrong with these idiots! Risking life of passengers inside the bus and of other vehicles. Apparently both the drivers have their license permanently suspended, totally deserved it.
I actually drove on this stretch just last weekend with family and saw the antics of these idiot drivers first hand!
It is a stretch of about 7-8 kms with a combination of loose gravel, coarse gravel and sand. Cars cannot do more then 25-30 kmph on this stretch while these private bus idiots don't go below 50-60 kmph. They almost slipstream you and slingshot past you at the very last moment to overtake.
Whats worse? - twice I had to slow down from 30 kmph to almost standstill because the visibility had reduced to almost "zero" in the wake of these buses kicking up dust. I had to almost stop and let the dust settle down before proceeding and when the dust clears, the buses are nowhere to be seen!!

Last edited by bblost : 4th May 2017 at 19:45. Reason: Removed embedded video from quoted part.
Kaumad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 19:58   #9186
BHPian

Dear BHPians,

For those who are in or around Gurgaon may be knowing that about a month back, a couple of underpasses on the golf course road have been opened to traffic. These are truly international class and one can have a feeling of driving in Singapore while passing through them.

With these 6 lane illuminated underpasses, meaning, no stopping or slowing down anywhere in the tunnels and accepting the fact that U turns are going to be much ahead. Further, not to use them as a shelter for rain or scorching sun.

On their very first day of being operational, I was talking to my office friends if the mindsets of the masses is ready to accept and use them in line with the system they have been designed? That said, despite the huge sign boards being there, a couple of times I did notice people mistakenly entering these underpasses and then dangerously reversing their cars and then thinking themselves as super smart or some hero.

Came last weekend when I wondered that a cab driver switched on his head lights at high beam during the day and came driving out of the tunnel on wrong side. What next, a gentleman on his red Honda Brio driving a few cars ahead of me dared to come in front of this cabbie to stop him. Seeing this happen, I too brought my car in support to now fully block the cabbie's way. The cabbie tried to find an escape by running-over his car on the median but to no avail. After a bit of tussle, we forced this cabbie to turnaround and flow along the traffic stream.

The thing is, buying a car is so easy now a days, while the mindsets of many are still riding a tricycle! While the biggest un-answered questions:

- Does turning on the headlamps at high beam gives you a license to drive on the wrong side?
- Does taking that U turn ahead(I say even if it is 2-3 km ahead) costs too much of time, fuel or effort? And if yes, do you deserve to drive?
- Likewise, does turning on the blinkers (hazard warning lights) gives you the license to stop/park your vehicle anywhere without any consideration for inconvenience to others?
- Is breaking the rules or taking the law in hand, anywhere associated with being heroic or gutsy? While abiding being a sign of foolishness or cowardice?
- Is policing necessary every time and everywhere? How about our inner conscious?

Thanks,
Simmi

Last edited by Nohonking : 4th May 2017 at 20:28.
Nohonking is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 5th May 2017, 06:24   #9187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohonking View Post
- Is breaking the rules or taking the law in hand, anywhere associated with being heroic or gutsy? While abiding being a sign of foolishness or cowardice?
- Is policing necessary every time and everywhere? How about our inner conscious?
Thanks,
Simmi
Yes, if you respect the law you are looked down as a fool in this country. ( And the applies to every law, not just traffic) I don't enjoy my early morning drives as I get honks and stares if I stop for a red light at 6 in the morning. If possible I stop at the left most lane or even shoulder. I have to admit that I have jumped the lights too when there were cars tailing and the cars in front don't stop at the light. I just flow with the traffic for the fear of being rear ended.
sbkumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2017, 06:25   #9188
Senior - BHPian

Watch from 3:30. Not my video, found it on YouTube.

ecenandu is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th May 2017, 07:23   #9189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Seriously!? What the hell is wrong with people nowadays? Looks like any clown with no respect to driving, laws, their and other lives can get behind a wheel and do whatever they hell they want to as if they're in a video game. This guys license and vehicle both should be impounded.

Last edited by ampere : 6th May 2017 at 08:50. Reason: Removed video link from quoted post;
Old 6th May 2017, 11:41   #9190
BHPian

Quote:
Browsing through some of the videos this guy has posted on his channel, he himself seems like quite a case.

Racing Creta, Ertiga's and even a Cayenne (The video I have posted above). I do agree that its stupid of the Cayenne driver to get instigated and get into this silly "race", but this guys replies to the comments on his video just shows how reckless and dense some people are:

Quote:
1) Porsche can be the real Porsche, may be in autobahn. Here in India do you expect car to go above 180-200 for long, May be a few kms he can go before traffic catches you. So Porsche or Maruti..both are same. And the desperation of not been able to leave me behind should be that of Porsche and that is very evident at 5:30,where he is trying to overtake me in desperation.

2) I am not saying i can beat Porsche with my brezza. But the reality in this video is that,he(Porsche) couldn't make me disappear from his rear view mirror. It doesn't means brezza is on the same class as Porsche. I know how my cars limitations and how good Porsche is. May be the Porsche driver was not in a mood to kick my ###.
A proper case of unnecessary instigation / getting instigated.

Last edited by Aditya : 8th May 2017 at 06:58. Reason: Deleting video in quote
AnniHilat0R is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 12:26   #9191
Senior - BHPian

Video is in Malayalam. Its about an incident happened in Ernakakulam. A private bus driver was speeding/racing with other private buses and stopped in the middle of the road to pick up passengers causing traffic block. Policemen in duty caught the bus driver and instead of fining him for the offence, asked him to do traffic regulation for 2 hours to feel the pain !!

Well done Kerala Police !
arjithin is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 15:43   #9192
BHPian

Not a case of Bad Driving but Jay Walking.

Pedestrian menace is at an all time high now a days in Bangalore. Especially when it rains. On the usual days, absolutely no respect for signal lights or Zebra crossing.

There is a frenzy in which everybody wants to be on the move and not care about the moving traffic.

I mean no disrespect and I always give them preference for their safety but how do I foresee morons jumping out when the signal is green or jay walking across haphazardly.

A poor biker on a brand new R15 had to bear the brunt when a moron decided to walk across with an umbrella covering low, ear phones and zero scan of surroundings before venturing into the middle of the road. The poor biker skidded, dropped his bike on the tarmac, smacked 2 on the jay walkers head. Violent, but apt for the situation.
Old 12th May 2017, 16:31   #9193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_boundaries View Post
Not a case of Bad Driving but Jay Walking.

A poor biker on a brand new R15 had to bear the brunt when a moron decided to walk across with an umbrella covering low, ear phones and zero scan of surroundings before venturing into the middle of the road. The poor biker skidded, dropped his bike on the tarmac, smacked 2 on the jay walkers head. Violent, but apt for the situation.
This video comes to mind:
Old 13th May 2017, 20:38   #9194
Senior - BHPian

Who is at fault here?

Indica in the blind spot?
Both of them never had intention to back off.

If we go by the rules, the pickup guy is at fault. There is no need for the Swift to yield. Am I correct? I mean, he started off the chain reaction.

I hate when people say that once you learn to drive in India, you can drive any where in the world. The answer is NO, you can't (you could, but you got my point, right). There are rules to be followed, else you will trigger accidents like the one above.

Last edited by ecenandu : 13th May 2017 at 20:48.
ecenandu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2017, 14:46   #9195
BHPian

Quote:
Who is at fault here?

Indica in the blind spot?
Both of them never had intention to back off.

If we go by the rules, the pickup guy is at fault. There is no need for the Swift to yield. Am I correct? I mean, he started off the chain reaction.*SNIP*
The Swift driver is fully at fault here. The Indica was too close behind him (i.e., maybe one car-length?) for the Swift to shift lanes.

Had the Swift driver done his shoulder-check, he would've noticed that the Indica was close and would've braked in the same lane, let the Indica pass, and then shifted Right to overtake the pick-up.

People in this country seem to believe that once they put on their indicators (if they even bother to do so), they have the god-given right to occupy that space irrespective of whether said space is even available or not.

OK, playing Devil's advocate - considering that the driver of the Swift is an entitled idiot, could the Indica have slowed down and let the idiot go? Yes he could've, but chose to assert his right-of-way. Please note, the right-of-way in this situation is the Indica's and not the Swift's.

Cheers.
tilt is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed