Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2017, 13:56   #9211
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeravnaik View Post
My favorite and the most common infraction is carrying helmet on a bike. These are the sensible chaps who do not want to get caught by police but will not let mere safety rules come in way of their undeterred pleasure of a two wheel ride and feel the wind in their hair.
I suppose people are confused to which head the helmet is supposed to protect. From the above, it seems that it is more to protect the cylinder head rather than the rider's head

When are people going to realise that helmets are to protect one's head and not to protect them from punishment by the law enforcement? Further more, an unstrapped helmet is as bad as not wearing one!
Old 17th May 2017, 16:45   #9212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeravnaik View Post
My favorite and the most common infraction is carrying helmet on a bike. These are the sensible chaps who do not want to get caught by police but will not let mere safety rules come in way of their undeterred pleasure of a two wheel ride and feel the wind in their hair.
You will see all kinds. Keeping helmet on top of the fuel tank, Hanging on the elbow, Kept at a weird angle on the forehead, Hooked onto the side of the bike or heck even making the pillion hold it
Old 17th May 2017, 20:46   #9213
BHPian

Talk about accidents when the car is been 'driven'? Well cars aren't safe even when they're stopped at a red light!

Meet the idiotic driver of the day.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imageuploadedbyteambhp1495033367.358926.jpg
The gentleman firstly did not maintain a safe distance from the car ahead of him.
Then he was busy chit-chatting with co-passengers and watching videos/movies on his mobile not realizing his car is crawling forward until it hit the car ahead of him.
The next thing he does is even better, in fear that the Ciaz guy might come out and say something he immediately reversed his car this time hitting a biker and another car behind him.

The epic part is, instead of apologizing he starts fighting and blaming them.

You sir, if are reading this, kindly follow a few basics of driving before you put your hands on the wheel again, and so do everyone else who are just like him.

- Maintain a safe distance from other vehicles at all times, high speed, low speed, or stopped.
- Be alert of your surroundings, there's a reason we have RVMs.
- Use brakes/handbrakes whenever your vehicle is at a stationary position.
- For gods sake stop watching stuff on your mobile, infotainment system whenever you're in a car, even if it's stopped.
- Admit to your fault and politely apologize, it's a car. It is bound to have a few incidents no matter whose fault, just step up, apologize, and let go.
- And lastly, please do not drive and risk others safety until you start following the basics.
Ruchir031 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2017, 22:18   #9214
BHPian

Another incident of a bad driver which just happened, who had it coming.

While returning home, at the Nelson Mandela Road red light near the police station, I had to make a right, when I was almost about to do the same the signal had turned off. Now I was way ahead of the zebra crossing by now so I reversed a bit to make sure oncoming traffic is not interrupted by my vehicle. So there is a City behind me constantly honking and flashing while the signal is red, with about 70 seconds remaining to green light, he was constant in annoying me and a few others started doing the same, probably because no traffic was coming and the road was empty and it was almost around 10 PM, but the signal was still red!
Eventually, when there were 20 seconds to go I was frustrated by the honking that I thought of skipping the light too and go ahead but then I remembered that I am a BHPian, if I become a part of breaking the rules just like them, what good of a driver am I and what kind of example do I set for others.
So now I just moved my car ahead, enough to give way to the City and whoever else wanted, with 15 seconds left for the signal to turn green. He made his move and skipped the light and 10 seconds later I see him pulled over by the traffic police and getting a challan, also now his license will be impounded for 3 months.

Lesson learned for life - no matter how terrible another driver is or how terribly good he's being at annoying you, always follow the rules even if it pisses off the other person. It's for your own good, and maybe theirs too.
Ruchir031 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th May 2017, 22:25   #9215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruchir031 View Post
Meet the idiotic driver of the day.
Attachment 1639739
The gentleman firstly did not maintain a safe distance from the car ahead of him.
Then he was busy chit-chatting with co-passengers and watching videos/movies on his mobile not realizing his car is crawling forward until it hit the car ahead of him.
The next thing he does is even better, in fear that the Ciaz guy might come out and say something he immediately reversed his car this time hitting a biker and another car behind him.

The epic part is, instead of apologizing he starts fighting and blaming them.
People who tailgate and end up with bruised noses are often found to be blaming the vehicle ahead for the damage.
SS-Traveller is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th May 2017, 23:01   #9216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
People who tailgate and end up with bruised noses are often found to be blaming the vehicle ahead for the damage.
This is something I've been through during my teen years of driving. I bumped into a car ahead of me with my dad's 800. We both were at the speed of 20 kmph when he suddenly braked and I was so close to his vehicle that I couldn't stop on time.
The damage to both of our vehicles was minimal but I got angry and started blaming him. The guy was a year or two older than me and also a learner driver so we didn't make a scene out of it and moved on.
When I narrated this to my dad he immediately asked me to stop driving until and unless I learned what I did wrong. Took me a few days and since then I've always applied it in my driving to maintain more than the standard distance.

The vehicle ahead of you can never be at fault no matter whatever erratic maneuver the driver ahead of you makes, it's upon the vehicle behind to maintain the distance so it can stop accordingly in such scenarios.

Last edited by Ruchir031 : 17th May 2017 at 23:17.
Ruchir031 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 01:14   #9217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
When I narrated this to my dad he immediately asked me to stop driving until and unless I learned what I did wrong. Took me a few days and since then I've always applied it in my driving to maintain more than the standard distance.
Best thing I've read all day. Kudos to you and your dad. He would have got on well with my dad, who had similar ideas about making me realise stuff.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 10:15   #9218
BHPian

Quote:
The vehicle ahead of you can never be at fault no matter whatever erratic maneuver the driver ahead of you makes, it's upon the vehicle behind to maintain the distance so it can stop accordingly in such scenarios.
Exactly. This is what each and every driver in this country has to be sensitized with. No matter what, even on open roads, DO NOT follow pace with the vehicle in front of you.

That does not mean we cause bottleneck with our speed, but drive at legal speed limit for that lane and enough error margin for the vehicle in front of you.

One thing that my dad always keeps repeating to me is to scan the road and type of vehicle (car, motorcycle, van, truck etc.) ahead of the vehicle in front of you. This will give you a hint as to what the driver in front of you will do or react and you can prepare yourself.

Quote:
Lesson learned for life - no matter how terrible another driver is or how terribly good he's being at annoying you, always follow the rules even if it pisses off the other person. It's for your own good, and maybe theirs too.
The best thing you did is to let them be. Give space to moron's so that they don't damage us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Best thing I've read all day. Kudos to you and your dad. He would have got on well with my dad, who had similar ideas about making me realise stuff.
That's what connects kids to their dad's. Those few words of wisdom will feel stinging in that situation, but will become pearls when we age and get reminded.

Last edited by prithm : 18th May 2017 at 10:20. Reason: Multi Quote
prithm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 14:36   #9219
BHPian

The flip side of maintaining safe distance from the vehicle in front is that other people just can't wait to fill that gap. Particularly small cars like Alto and Wagon R immediately squeeze in from left and right. This tendency of changing lanes at the drop of a head must look funny in a top view video: it will probably look like there are a lot of drunk drivers on our roads.
Old 18th May 2017, 17:06   #9220
Distinguished - BHPian

It's like this-quarter financial results. Not looking beyond the car in front, unless one is ready and able to bully everybody out of the way, is simply not the way to get there quicker. Taking the longer view is. As already mentioned by somebody: looking and planning ahead is the key.

My bumper-to-bumper method is to start at the same time as the car in front, but accelerate slightly less, allowing a gap to open. This gives space in case that car suddenly stops.

In traffic that is inching forward, my ideal is to drive at such a speed that I do not stop and start as the car in front does, but keep moving at a constant speed, with the gap ahead opening and closing. This saves on a lot of clutch work. It's also ideal for AT cars.

I feel very strongly that the highest risk of accident is in slow-moving traffic. The accidents may be minor, but still, we can do without those bumps and dents, even the little ones. At single-digit speeds one needs as much attention on the vehicle in front as on the highway.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 18:53   #9221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
The flip side of maintaining safe distance from the vehicle in front is that other people just can't wait to fill that gap. Particularly small cars like Alto and Wagon R immediately squeeze in from left and right. This tendency of changing lanes at the drop of a head must look funny in a top view video: it will probably look like there are a lot of drunk drivers on our roads.
I remember Behram Dhabhar, our deceased member, narrate this to us.

When he was working at Premier Automobiles, Mumbai, in their R&D it was often that he had to take cars out on test drives on various road and traffic conditions. Given that he also had a heavy right foot and also unrelenting when it came to letting people squeeze past him, it was not uncommon that the cars that he drove had blemishes. This was not looked upon very well by certain people in the organisation and there was a strict order that anyone who took a car out for a test drive had to maintain at least 10 meters(?) distance to the vehicle in front.

Behram, the person that he was, filled out the necessary documentation to take a test vehicle out and returned hours later and filled out the return documentation. On the return documentation he filled out that he could not proceed any further from the Premier Automobiles exit gate since every time he tried to maintain the mandatory distance gap to the vehicle in front, another vehicle would occupy that spot and that he could not meet the mandatory distance gap and hence he could not carry out the required test drive.

Promptly the mandatory distance order was withdrawn and everything was as normal as it was before.
swissknife is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 10:49   #9222
BHPian

When you get a phone call, you stop at the side of the road and attend the call. Which side of the road?

Man blissfully stands in the rightmost lane of the road attending a phone call.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1495170995589.jpg  

esoticoreventon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 13:43   #9223
Senior - BHPian

Offtopic: Thats the end of Pilkington Road to Perambur?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
When you get a phone call, you stop at the side of the road and attend the call. Which side of the road?

Man blissfully stands in the rightmost lane of the road attending a phone call.
Old 19th May 2017, 15:03   #9224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Offtopic: Thats the end of Pilkington Road to Perambur?
Yes, but the opposite direction i.e., the guy is standing on the side that goes towards Ayanavaram. You can see the flyover in the background!
Old 19th May 2017, 23:06   #9225
BHPian

It seems that in this era of communication revolution the sole victim has been the driving sensibilities. Driving while talking on mobile phones is a common sight throughout the length and breadth of the country. This becomes all the more risky when the drivers try to negotiate turns while being deeply engrossed in conversations and with only one hand controlling the steering. The repeated campaigns by the authorities to sensitize the masses about the risks of talking on mobile while driving seems to have fallen on deaf ears. In fact nowadays it has become a new style statement to talk on mobile while driving and with every passing day more and more motorists are joining the band wagon of fools.
ssambyal1980 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks