Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2017, 11:27   #9271
BHPian

Re: Driver asleep at wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
He then wakes up and looks at me as if I was committing a crime! Without any care in the world gives me these looks and zooms off, I was like
A very interesting outlook that my brother introduced me to recently while encountering "Idiots" on road.

We were cruising in the streets of Hyderabad late at night and one guy ahead just drove at a slow pace that was getting to my nerves and I blurted out all expletives on him that I learnt from childhood for nearly 2 full minutes (captured in my dashcam audio which I deleted out of shame).

My brother waited till I finish and then said these words

"How do you know what is happening in his life that you have so much grudge on him !! "

I don't know if his recent binge watching of Mahabharat or some Taoist or Budhist scriptures that has had this influence, but it certainly made me look life from a different perspective.

I certainly don't know the reason for hurry or madness by the reckless on road, but I do know that I can have control on myself and take necessary precautions to minimize damage.

P.S. And No, I have not stopped cursing. It helps me control my anger, though toned down significantly. It helps.
prithm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 11:37   #9272
BHPian

Re: Driver asleep at wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post

"How do you know what is happening in his life that you have so much grudge on him !! "
But the thing here is I did not abuse him and was genuinely concerned - only to be given a 'who the hell are you?' look.

Though I agree, no matter what the situation, how you react is completely up to you. Meditation helps, songs help, podcasts help
Old 5th June 2017, 20:08   #9273
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Is impatience hard coded into the bikers? Here's one moron who apparently thinks he can fly over me!

GeneralJazz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 03:34   #9274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I guess the drivers in the first half of this video of mine can be an example for this thread.
No offence mate, but there were a couple of instances in the video where you were on the "wrong" side of the road because you didn't have control over the bike. I am not saying it was intentional, but it's just the laws of physics governing your trajectory.

And the indica which was climbing the hair pin bend was in no fault at all.. You should have slowed down and given way to the vehicle climbing up..
Old 6th June 2017, 06:29   #9275
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
No offence mate, but there were a couple of instances in the video where you were on the "wrong" side of the road because you didn't have control over the bike. I am not saying it was intentional, but it's just the laws of physics governing your trajectory.
Care to pin point where I "didn't have control of the bike"?. Only at acute left handed hair pin bends do I need to get over the lane for an brief moment to get the cornering line right. Start wide and finish tight. And whenever I did that there wasn't a single oncoming vehicle on the opposite lane!
PrasannaDhana is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 07:40   #9276
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
And the indica which was climbing the hair pin bend was in no fault at all.. You should have slowed down and given way to the vehicle climbing up..
If you are talking about that silver color Indica with TN registration, then he is absolutely at fault and is an irresponsible driver too. Just look where he is driving. He has taken up space like a bus.

Your rear inner wheel is the parameter to check how much extra space you are taking while going past the hairpin (rear inner wheel should be close to the road edge to take only as much space as is required). Look at his rear inner wheel, its already near around half the road and front is entirely in the opposite vehicle's way. Yes, it's a hairpin and a narrow road, yes front section requires to be given extra space for maneuvers, but this Indica driver is doing it absolutely wrong and is occupying more space than even a Tata 407 would require. Right of way is a different thing, but occupying nearly entire road for the sake of the right of way is wrong in every way.

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th June 2017 at 12:59. Reason: Changing "I" to "is" in 3 places. Please do proof read before submitting. Thanks :)
VKumar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 08:35   #9277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I guess the drivers in the first half of this video of mine can be an example for this thread...
Good collections of all the usual bad drivers we encounter in the hills
That motorbike climbing up the right hairpin on the wrong side is something a new thing I'm seeing. I saw it for the first time during my trip to Yercaud last month. Not one but many vehicles including cars doing that.
Is it specific to TN or some new new virus that's caught up to people? I don't know. And not to ignore that these guys in this video are already triple-riding
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 10:46   #9278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Is impatience hard coded into the bikers? Here's one moron who apparently thinks he can fly over me!
Just another case of "can't you see i am overtaking? why did you not slow down for me?"

In our mad rush, the onus has started to be on how to always overtake the vehicle in front. There seems to be no desire to slow down behind the stopped vehicle, take a minute to see what is happening in front and then decide if it is ok to overtake or not. Vehicle stops and the first instinct is to swerve the steering wheel to overtake and not to to brake!

We are all doomed
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 10:51   #9279
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Is it specific to TN or some new new virus that's caught up to people? I don't know. And not to ignore that these guys in this video are already triple-riding
I think people are same everywhere. I have ridden on Kodaikanal, Ooty, Sirumalai, Kolli hills and Yercaud.

One thing I have noticed is that regulars on hills/experienced people ride/drive beautifully. It is the weekend getaway type first timers and beginners that mess it up on the hills.

Like someone said "you crossed your lane ", they don't understand the dynamics of riding/driving on hills is very different than that on plains. If I hadn't had a wide line on that turn where triples rider lost balance midway of the turn, I would have banged him straight.

Last time when I rode through Kolli hills it was a Saturday and hardly a dozen vehicles were seen over the entire range. This time it was a long weekend and every Joe, Dick and Harry wanted to ride over the hills.

Naturally they don't realise the importance of lane discipline, maintaining enough torque uphill and focussing while riding.

And the Indica driver, does right of way mean you need to come to a dead stop when vehicle moving uphill is ahead? Look at the video, I was at the extreme left. He had all the road to him. Notice how much space he left at his LHS. Buses turn in the same turn with the same space he used, now isn't that a fault?

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 6th June 2017 at 11:01.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 11:23   #9280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Start wide and finish tight. And whenever I did that there wasn't a single oncoming vehicle on the opposite lane!
This is something none of the guys driving on curves understand - they do the reverse,ending up going wide after the curve. The bike-Innova accident posted a few days back in this forum comes to mind
mallumowgli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 11:50   #9281
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
This is something none of the guys driving on curves understand - they do the reverse,ending up going wide after the curve. The bike-Innova accident posted a few days back in this forum comes to mind
Very true. For non-riders who don't understand "start wide, finish tight", here is an example from one of my videos. Please check out the curve at 0:32.

During start- field of vision is clear and you know what's ahead, after the curve you don't know what's ahead, so you can go wide at the beginning of the curve confidently(knowing no one is ahead in opposing lane), while your exit will be tight to save you from erratic users of the opposing lane, which will otherwise be a blindspot.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 6th June 2017 at 11:56.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 12:08   #9282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Like someone said "you crossed your lane ", they don't understand the dynamics of riding/driving on hills is very different than that on plains. If I hadn't had a wide line on that turn where triples rider lost balance midway of the turn, I would have banged him straight.
Quote:
it's just the laws of physics governing your trajectory.
Forget physics. Some just posses this natural counter steering skill. A critical skill for any two wheel riding. Its the only way to get you out of trouble in many situation.

You, I and almost everyone do it naturally and some do it with practice. Here is an example that has widely been used to discuss both sides of counter steering very widely.

Quote:
And the indica which was climbing the hair pin bend was in no fault at all.
Gladly agree to this as long as that Indica driver was driving lorries till that morning and decided to become an Indica driver.

Last edited by VW2010 : 6th June 2017 at 12:28.
VW2010 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 14:07   #9283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Here is an example that has widely been used to discuss both sides of counter steering very widely.
Wow!

I've never ridden a bike but this is something that even a veteran biker may not know, I mean look at this guy trying to correct his trajectory so many times.

Thanks for sharing!!

Is this counter-steering similar to what drivers do in cars when they drift?
Old 6th June 2017, 14:31   #9284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is this counter-steering similar to what drivers do in cars when they drift?
Same concept in reality.

https://www.tutorialspoint.com/speed..._motorbike.jpg

This in a car is drifting. Basically when the real wheel slips and you want to continue to steer the counter steering technique is used and alternatively called as drifting.

It could be a simple Newtons 3rd law in effect but i am no physicist. Just to wake up true physicist here to counter my absurdity and explain the right physics.

Quote:
I've never ridden a bike
You must have rode a cycle. Its the same. Check how you avoid a sudden obstacle. You will automatically start from one side and use that counter steer to move the other side faster.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 15:06   #9285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Just another case of "can't you see i am overtaking? why did you not slow down for me?"
I showed this video to my colleague who rides a 2-wheeler. This is exactly what he said, "2 wheelers have right to overtake as space taken up by them is small".

When educated people with Doctorates say this, we cannot expect any better from people who are not educated.
feluda86 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed