Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2017, 17:58   #9301
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

I was riding back home from work on the single lane state highway. Due to traffic, I had to be slow moving for quite a while. And when I found a free stretch to overtake heavy slow moving vehicles, I opened the throttle, only to find myself in a panic braking situation when 3 guys on a motorcycle decide to turn to right side of the road from the left side, in front of the bus. If not for the ABS, I would have crashed at the other bike.

I did not scold them, as I was equally at fault for opening the throttle of my Duke 390 on that kind of a road, no matter how free/clear it was ahead of me. It was a great lesson to self. I thought this would be a lesson to many more people like me in this forum.

And yes, one more video stressing the life saving importance of ABS in bikes.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 8th June 2017 at 18:00.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 18:56   #9302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I did not scold them, as I was equally at fault for opening the throttle of my Duke 390 on that kind of a road, no matter how free/clear it was ahead of me. It was a great lesson to self. I thought this would be a lesson to many more people like me in this forum.
Not to be judgemental, but I think in this video, you was the one who was the 'bad driver' as the forum name suggests. The other biker/s signalled correctly and took the turn. Your riding should have been more defensive as it should be while driving anywhere in India. If I'm not mistaken, then maybe you are the first "bad driver" on this thread who put up his own post!!

Also, would you mind explaining how it was ABS which saved you in this case? How did you sense it intervening? Did you really stand on the brakes in panic and still avoid skidding or you just "sensed" ABS?

You ride a bike with quite quick acceleration and this needs you to have quicker reflexes and zigzagging capabilities for instances like these.

Ride safe :thumbup:

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th June 2017 at 13:56. Reason: Shortening quote / removing video from quote :)
pixantz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 19:00   #9303
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
If I'm not mistaken, then maybe you are the first "bad driver" on this thread who put up his own post!!

Also, would you mind explaining how it was ABS which saved you in this case? How did you sense it intervening? Did you really stand on the brakes in panic and still avoid skidding or you just "sensed" ABS?

You ride a bike with quite quick acceleration and this needs you to have quicker reflexes and zigzagging capabilities for instances like these.

Ride safe :thumbup:
If you have ever used a car/bike with ABS, you would have known how one knows or "senses" ABS kicking in. If ABS wasnt there, the tyres would have lost traction, start skidding and the braking distance would have been a lot more ending up in a crash.

I clearly felt the ABS kicking in.

Yes, I am the first guy in this thread to post my own bad driving post, and i have clearly confessed it was my fault too. Judge me all you want. I did a mistake and I am sharing it so that people may know what happens when you are fast on Indian roads.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 8th June 2017 at 19:04.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 19:05   #9304
BHPian

Quote:
If you have ever used a car/bike with ABS, you would have know how one knows or "senses" ABS kicking in.

Yes, I am the first guy in this thread to post my own bad driving post, and i have clearly confessed it was my fault too. Judge me all you want.
Yes sir, I know how the ABS feels, just in this instance it didn't seem that the ABS would have kicked in unless maybe you just simply stood on the brakes. That's why I asked if you did.

Also, I didn't need to judge. You confessed yourself. That's brave. Ha ha.
Old 8th June 2017, 19:08   #9305
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes sir, I know how the ABS feels, just in this instance it didn't seem that the ABS would have kicked in unless maybe you just simply stood on the brakes. That's why I asked if you did.

Also, I didn't need to judge. You confessed yourself. That's brave. Ha ha.
It didnt seem the ABS would have kicked in? Wow! Cant you see the deceleration happening? And you think the bike slows down like that without hard braking?

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 8th June 2017 at 19:13.
Old 8th June 2017, 20:19   #9306

Ajmat I really loved your post,perfect collection of all the dangers found commonly on Indian roads. And I have been on the receiving end of all of them so I totally agree.
On the below observations I must say, I need to look into my style of driving and ensure it is no longer a concern for my fellow road users. Thanks for pointing out my mistakes friend.

Quote:
6: Smoking when driving – getting that fix with one hand of the wheel, imagine the fun when the cigarette drops on the family jewels.
LOLZ! It had happened once in Mauritius, the air speed pushed the butt back inside,
and it was still burning, left a nice burn on my back and ruined a pretty good shirt. I must say NO SMOKING during driving above 40 KMPH, below that well some of us I guess cant decide which is more important desire to smoke the rubber or the lungs

Quote:
7: Animated conversation with passenger whilst maintaining eye contact with the passenger.
I do this, I need to stop this, working on it from today!!

Quote:
8: Lane creators – people who create a third lane on the extreme rights at the traffic lights - direct in the path of on coming traffic and expect you to let them in- fat chance! I drive past and thump the door with my fist – harmless, shocks them and the Vtec gets me away before they can catch up.
Daym! Thanks for the idea. Hope my VTVT i20 can run away too

Quote:
9: Any car with a high no of side scrapes, frontal panel damage - pure neglect – possibly no insurance to repair the car - rear damage normally due to negligence of driver behind also cars with the directional alignment of a crab.
Damn true. I always follow this rule!

Last edited by GTO : 9th June 2017 at 17:07. Reason: Please use the QUOTE function correctly
snehashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 20:31   #9307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not to be judgemental, but I think in this video, you was the one who was the 'bad driver' as the forum name suggests. The other biker/s signalled correctly and took the turn
And the other biker also incorrectly carried 3 with no protection and no signal using his bike. He literally threw his hands after almost crossing and sensing something is coming from behind.

Quote:
It didnt seem the ABS would have kicked in? Wow! Cant you see the deceleration happening? And you think the bike slows down like that without hard braking?
Even i feel from the video it appears the bike stopped naturally. You accelerated fast, but also released the throttle and the bike engine break took over and what ever remaining time you needed to break it appears the disc brake did a good job. Even i am not sure if the ABS really made a difference here. If it gives that added assurance of ABS took care of the situation its well and good but i agree with couple of others here that the bike hardly hit the ABS zone.
Old 8th June 2017, 20:47   #9308
BHPian

Recently while driving in the infamous Delhi traffic with God knows how many lanes created by cars, a car slowly overtook me while brushing my ORVM.

I gestured towards the driver asking what's wrong, to which the passenger replied: Itni bheed mein bhi sheeshe khol ke chalaoge to yahi hoga na! (If you drive with your side mirrors open in such traffic then this is bound to happen!).

Although I was livid but not much can be done in such cases and I have learnt to ignore such imbeciles.
Kestrel5915 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 14:03   #9309
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I did not scold them, as I was equally at fault for opening the throttle of my Duke 390 on that kind of a road
Quote:
... and i have clearly confessed it was my fault too.
I think perhaps pixantz is implying that you were a little more than equally at fault in this case.

Nonetheless, you were still aware of what was happening ahead and did well to avoid any incident. A great example - and something for everyone to learn from.

It's somewhat similar to this video posted by Shanksta last week:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
Ignorance is Bliss! Did not even bother to check mirrors before changing lanes. At the least did not even turn on his indicators. Blames the cammer for not honking and saving his life. Guess he realised there is no need for a helmet since there is nothing up there.

https://Youtu.be/q6hoslMf36I

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th June 2017 at 14:05.
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 21:49   #9310

What the hell was traffic pile up today between Agara flyover till Marathahalli. Initially thought of some breakdown causing the pile up. But after the drive couldn't conclude any reason. The usual traffic was there but only conclusion I can make is BMTC buses stopping as they wish, long routes private buses driving in swing (cutting every one across)and stopping whereever they want. Took 1.5 hours from Agara flyover down ramp till Marathalli bridge flyover
Old 9th June 2017, 22:22   #9311
Distinguished - BHPian

Another video from today. This time it is a Maruti alto driver who cant stay in his lane in a curve.
Notice my RHS rear view mirror, even a big truck stays in the lane. I revved at him, followed by the truck driver blowing his rather loud horn which made the alto guy to get back to the lane.

PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2017, 11:43   #9312
BHPian

I was riding my bike (Ninja 250, Honda 250, RE500) from Kanyakumari to Kashmir and on the NE up to Meghalaya for many years now. I drive my cars, and bikes damn fast. Cars and bikes mostly 120 kmph and touch-wood never had any direct hit or so called accident so far. With this experience I can warn about a few precautions I think.

1) Never take your eyes off even for a second off the road. If you do not follow this rule, the day is not far off when you will hit the divider.

2) Apply the brakes directly, without pressing the clutch, do not ever touch the clutch particularly on highways on high speed runs. Clutch is there only to change the gears. A brake pressed along with clutch means, your brakes would not work the way they should work. Clutch when pressed separates the engine power from the body of your car.

3) When you look out on to the road, while driving you must be seeing all the three mirrors (two ORVMS, and the road) on a constant basis. Never take your eyes off from all these three mirrors

4) When you eat (heavy tiffins) ,drink (fruit juice, cool drinks in particular) take a few minutes rest and start afterwards. Immediately after lunch, you must check the tires because tubeless tires take at least 45 minutes for the air to go or leak so as to become noticeable. Otherwise you will face a situation in the middle of nowhere and with ladies present you will get in to high tension,panic state of mind.

5) In dhabas and hotels talk to owners about the road ahead, the route, social situations etc. It is always better to be good with locals. Do not stop and ask vagabonds, roadside idiots etc. and never stop at lonely places where only a very few people were chitchatting.

6) When you are overtaking, you must overtake with the same speed of the parallel vehicle for a minute and then accelerate to overtake. Never overtake a bus or truck, even a big SUV when on the left side of that vehicle, there is a gap in the divider. It is because already some pedestrian or biker had crossed the divider and he will surprise you by suddenly crossing the vehicle you are overtaking! The bike or man appear as if from nowhere!!

See the videos of accidents on NHAI, particularly Hyderabad to Nagpur and you will easily notice the mistake the car owner-drivers are doing in these situations. DO NOT ever overtake a vehicle on your left, when there is a gap on the divider on the left. It is as simple as that. But if you overtake anyway (even in the middle of the night) a bus like Volvo for example, just go along with the speed of that same bus and then after a time slowly accelerate to overtake. Anyone might have observed that this is how most experienced cab drivers, professionals overtake another vehicle. You might have observed that they give horn while still they are in parallel position of the vehicle they overtake. Do not expect govt. bus drivers to be nice people, in fact they are not because there is lot of corruption involved in selection process and rowdy-sheets entered in to these corporations.

7) Be on the left, completely left on the last edge of the road when you are overtaking on a turning on to the right on highways and if that same curve also is an elevated place (you will not see any vehicle parked on the left on the curves by some stupid because of elevation and you have not reached the elevation) you must completely slow down. And if this is like MP, where truck traffic is high be ready to jump off the road! Because that would be far better than to die. If the road level and ground levels are not very high or low, it can easily done to save yourself.

8) When overtake from left (that is another four wheeler must be going on your right), you should not overtake unless you clearly see as to what is ahead of you. This is because some vehicle is stopped or extremely slowly moving and you overtook a vehicle on your right side without knowing this. It only means one event for sure, a tragic accident sooner than you expect in your life. Generally another vehicle was going on the far right along the divider because that driver had already seen a stopped vehicle on the far left lane of the road ahead of him or her.

Wish you all the best.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th June 2017 at 19:20. Reason: Removing unwanted spaces before commas and correcting typos. Please proof-read your posts prior to submitting them. Thanks!
venuraja is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th June 2017, 11:55   #9313
BHPian

Yesterday in Shalimar Bagh near AD block red light, towards ring road. A teenager with his friends started honking at me at a red light. I look back and make a face as to what his problem is to which he signals with his hands to move ahead as he wants to make a u-turn.

Now it's red light and u-turn on that road is not allowed but he continues to honk and starts flashing. I was on the crossing line so was reluctant to move ahead but later I did to get rid of him.
He then got ahead and this happened - xxxxxxxxxx gaadi aage lele na xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx dikhta nahi u-turn lena hai xxxxxxxx gaadi chalate kyu hai xxxxxxxxx jab aati nahi.
My dad, mom and sister were in the car and he continued his bullshit. I got really mad at this behavior and got down of the car and walked towards his and gave him a piece of my mind. He then throttled and ran away.

Don't understand who the hell are they trying to show this bratty behavior to and how their parents even let them behind the wheels with such an attitude and disrespect to road behavior. No wonder we see so many of the teens being involved in high speed/drink and drive accidents.
Ruchir031 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th June 2017, 19:11   #9314
BHPian

Quote:
Not to be judgemental, but I think in this video, you was the one who was the 'bad driver' as the forum name suggests.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I think perhaps pixantz is implying that you were a little more than equally at fault in this case.
Wait, what? How was PrasannaDhana at fault for trying a legitimate single lane overtaking move with clear empty way ahead of him?

Quote:
The other biker/s signalled correctly and took the turn.
Erm, not at all. The biker took the turn more than halfway, then probably sensed that someone was behind him, and then signalled for the turn that he'd already almost completed as far as lanes go.

Quote:
Your riding should have been more defensive as it should be while driving anywhere in India.
Let's just delve a little about this statement. Why should it have been more "defensive"? So every other senseless moron can go about their business all day on the road while the sensed "defensive" should be so to avoid self harm from others' road mistakes?
If so, wouldn't it be better to frame the sentence another way? But I guess you did intend to frame it in a blameful way because you believe PrasannaDhana was at fault here.
ach1lles is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2017, 17:25   #9315
BHPian

Came across two bad drivers today!

Was driving back home after having lunch outside an hour ago when I came across these guys.

* After crossing the Anna university signal on Sardar Patel road I was in the right lane and there was Grey Grand i10 infront of me that was driving between both the lanes. He did not give me way despite honking twice, finally he drifted a bit more to the left and I had enough space to pass him. While passing him I glanced over to see what he was doing, to my horror I saw that he had his little kid seated on his lap and the kid was steering the car while this guy's hands were just hovering over the steering. Luckily just as I saw this he started drifting more to the left to stop his car and even then his kid, a girl of maybe 3-4 years was moving the car to the left. To top it all off the kid had such long curly hair that her dad/driver was not even able to see the road(I did notice all this in 2-3 quick glances).

I really wanted to pull over and give him a piece of my mind but that road is not safe to park on the left since cars zip through the left also. My passenger was also taking a nap so no pictures.

Not only was that guy a bad parent/driver, But he was also a potential threat to the safety of his family and people around him. Just imagine if the kid had given a quick flick to the steering thinking it was a game.

Fast forward 10 minutes from the above incident. I was waiting at an intersection to take a right into my street on inner ring road near Thillai Ganga Nagar. After the traffic on the opposite side had cleared​ I crossed over and enter my street when I notice a white i20 active zipping at crazy speeds towards the airport on Inner ring road. Now there are huge speed breakers​ before the intersection on both the sides. I was expecting a huge jump and crash but he somehow managed to screech the car to a halt and crossed the speed breaker. At this point I thought ok he was just an idiot overspeeding because of seeing a 3-lane empty road and failed to notice the hump in time. But I was wrong he dropped down to 1st gear and did a full 2 second wheelspin scaring the hell out of the 2 wheeler riders next to him and once again took off at great speeds.When will these guys understand that the road is not a race track.

This dude also had a dark tint all around including his entire windscreen. Wonder how these guys don't get caught for sunflim while I got caught even though I had only the clear see through one.

Note I had already crossed over into my street when I saw his antics in my IRVM. Red is my car, Black is the i-20 and the blue strip is the speed breaker. The green strip is his position when I had already crossed over.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_20170611_174500.jpg

Off late the number of crazy drivers on Chennai's roads is increasing exponentially.

Last edited by Shanksta : 11th June 2017 at 17:52. Reason: Adding info.
Shanksta is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed