Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2017, 17:11   #9451
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

This was in Magarpatta, Pune which is a focal point for many IT companies. There are 12 towers (and many other buildings) filled with IT folk.

I was walking from one tower to another and in the process I had to cross the street. Hence I positioned myself at the zebra crossing (well-marked). I looked for traffic and I could spot a 2-wheeler far enough for me to cross safely. The moment I stepped on the zebra crossing, the 2 wheeler rider increased speed and eventually I had to halt midway on the zebra crossing to let him pass.

Meanwhile I also observed people riding on 2 wheelers while balancing their mobile phones under their chin. People undercutting the round about, riding on the wrong side to save a few minutes of time and few milliliters of fuel. All educated with ID cards of IT companies dangling from their necks and all bad drivers.

Last edited by luvDriving : 7th August 2017 at 17:12. Reason: # of towers
luvDriving is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 18:03   #9452
BHPian

No amount of airbags and safety features offered by our car manufacturers can make our roads safe.

I was on my way to get my car seat cover when I noticed a girl sleeping on the boot tray. The car occupants looked well educated. I just shudder to think of the outcome in case or panick braking or worse rear ending of this car.

I restrained myself from drilling some sense in the driver as there was an old lady on the co-passanger seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_20170807_151753.jpg  

Akib Khan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 18:28   #9453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
All educated with ID cards of IT companies dangling from their necks and all bad drivers.
Education has nothing to do with safe driving. The fact is that none of these chaps ever do a risk analysis, every day the accidents that take place is an example, yet to no avail. I see these youngsters with their life ahead of them just driving like there is no tomorrow. God help them. One of the main reasons is that the traffic fines are so cheap, though I see that new regulations are afoot which if implemented can become a deterrent for traffic violators. But will it?
sparky@home is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 22:40   #9454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
So off I went , bought them and only after having come to the parking I realized that I have come in my bike and I don't have a carry bag as well.
Been there couple of times and you know what I did? I opened couple of buttons and dumped all the stuff inside my tucked in shirt and rode home.
It's a fine idea as long as you don't mind the ignominy.
PS: I have no confidence on my ability to balance stuff on the tank or handle bar.
IndieGooner is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 00:45   #9455
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Had a bad driver tailing me for a while today, while on my way to work. But he had his come-uppance alright, and it made me laugh.

... ... ...

I wonder when (or if) it will dawn on him that honking at a stationary, broken down bus, will not make it move? I didn't see Mr. Grey Vitara Brezza in my mirror at the traffic lights down the road, so I need to check on my way back home if he is still sitting there, honking at the broken down bus.

That almost qualifies for the heart-warming experiences thread!

Speaking of really bad tailgaters, the kind that could reach out and push they are so close, one day evening, a couple of weeks ago, I had three in one trip home.

The weird thing, and this has never happened to me before, is it was the same guy each time! A cabbie, who overtook me or turned off, but somehow ended up behind me again. Given his behaviour, I was not inclined to go out of my way to let him past (should have: those guys are safer out of the way) and he must have wondered how on earth the same slow black car got in front of him three times!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 09:57   #9456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Speaking of really bad tailgaters
Well let me confess first that I do tailgate at times but the purpose is not to intimidate the car driver in front or scare or honk away to glory or any other malevolent intent. I sometimes tailgate to just pass through an impending traffic jam by sticking to the vehicle in front.

I know this is bad driving and I am actively trying to avoid it but sometimes the traffic just gets to you! By driving in Pune for the last 10 years, I know that even if everyone passes by me in a hurry, we are all going to be neck to neck again at the next signal

So I generally maintain a 1/2 car distance (which is quickly filled up by rickshaws and 2 wheelers) and let the world pass by
Old 8th August 2017, 18:50   #9457
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
Well let me confess first that I do tailgate at times but the purpose is not to intimidate the car driver in front or scare or honk away to glory or any other malevolent intent. I sometimes tailgate to just pass through an impending traffic jam by sticking to the vehicle in front.
I have two thoughts about this. The first is that following through is acceptable. The speeds for this kind of city manoeuvre are usually very slow. The second is that, in city stop/start driving, the car in front is most likely to stop unexpectedly.

Here's my mantra: just because the car in front has started moving does not mean it will go on moving.
Old 9th August 2017, 12:02   #9458
Senior - BHPian

Encountered this bad driver who attempted a blind overtaking on a curve. Since it was a drizzling and wet road, I was not sure whether I could brake it without hitting the innova, hence pulled out off the road.

balenoed_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 12:31   #9459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Encountered this bad driver who attempted a blind overtaking on a curve. Since it was a drizzling and wet road, I was not sure whether I could brake it without hitting the innova, hence pulled out off the road.
What was he thinking? They gamble with their lives and others too...

Authorities have to confiscate/suspend license of these people..

Last edited by ampere : 9th August 2017 at 20:42. Reason: Removed video link from quoted post
Old 9th August 2017, 12:40   #9460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
You were lucky that you had the space and option to get out of the way!

Such people drive with the belief that the others would get out of the way to save themselves!
Old 9th August 2017, 12:43   #9461
BHPian

I had an interesting experience yesterday with one of the cab driver. At a signal my car just entered a lane parallel to this cab and our side mirrors were almost overlapping. After sometime his car started rolling back. So he came close to my left side mirror and then brushed it completely with his mirror and all the while we both were staring at each other. I din't realize why was he not stopping the car and staring at me. Then to my surprise he starts shouting at me saying i took my car forward. I tried my level best to explain him that his car was rolling back and not my car going forward. In fact the rickshaw behind him was also honking continuously to confirm this. But this guy was keen to argue. I just pulled up the window and drove away.

But I was just wondering how do you handle such situations. It is extremely difficult to convince someone in such cases.
sumitdongerkery is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 13:26   #9462
BHPian

How do you spot Bad Drivers?

Very simple - Step out on the roads and you will find a plenty. There are so many out there that I never bother to put down the experiences in this thread. If I start posting them one by one, I will become Senior-BHPian within a month . But couple of experiences over the weekend prompted me to point them out here.

All the below happened in my drive from Chennai to Bangalore via Chittoor. People who know this route should be aware that there is around 150kms which is 2 lane undivided roads and the traffic will be heavy, especially the truck and local 2 wheeler traffic. It becomes impossible to overtake even a 2 wheeler if there is an oncoming truck. That is how narrow many sections are.

Incident 1
I was behind a slow moving truck and there was this Celerio behind me who seemed very impatient. There were oncoming traffic and hence there is no way we could overtake. Once I got window, I went ahead and as I was about to overtake, I saw another vehicle popping up and hence had to abort. But as I was about to come back to my lane, I saw this Celerio had come parallel to me just behind the truck (overtaking me on my left in a 2 lane highway). Where do I go now???

Incident 2
There was another guy in the convoy, a grand i10 with no reg plates. Seemed to be some company staff driving down a new vehicle. This guy was so impatient that he started overtaking 2 parallel vehicles at a time. Pathetic to see how new vehicles are handled and driven around.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-overtaking.jpg

Incident 3
It was well after 7pm and was dark. I noticed an oncoming truck and a car trying to overtake it. I was doing around 80kmph and was sure that this is going to be a close one. I flashed my lights but he continued and overtook. But he was not the bad driver. There came an XUV tailgating the car with intention to slow down. No way he could have completed the overtake without crashing me head on . He continued, I braked, ABS kicked in and my car stopped well on time. There was no way I could have gone off roads as that section was not suitable for that.

On a slightly different note, everyone in their driving career would have been a bad driver at least once (intentionally or unintentionally). Even the esteemed members of this forum would have been in that spot due to circumstances. It is just that how we respond to it by accepting and correcting instead of arguing and continuing the same driving.

Last edited by narsi_6989 : 9th August 2017 at 13:29.
narsi_6989 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 13:58   #9463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitdongerkery View Post
But I was just wondering how do you handle such situations. It is extremely difficult to convince someone in such cases.
But, why do you want to convince such people? Do you think they will realize their mistake and apologize? OR Do you think they will start behaving right from next instance?

In my view, it is just waste of time. and also sincerely think what you have done is just right. Ignore them and move away If there is no damage to either cars. If there is a damage, then, you need to fold up your shoulders for a discussion.

My belief in chaotic theory(Wings of butterfly in your flower garden has an impact on hurricane in US) has increased after seeing such instances. I strongly believe invention of mobile phone or social media like whatsapp, facebook etc has increased the no. of accidents on Road. Do not want to elaborate more

Last edited by gkveda : 9th August 2017 at 14:01.
Old 12th August 2017, 07:12   #9464
BHPian

I thought I would share some "interesting" moments from my dashcam.

In this one, while I was going to make a left turn at a T-Junction, there are 2 impatient drivers who do not want to wait for their on coming traffic and turn in early and come face to face with my car. A two wheeler takes quite a different way out, through my left! That makes it 3 bad drivers in one short clip. Not to miss a pedestrian crossing a busy junction while being engaged on the phone!

swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2017, 09:45   #9465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
there are 2 impatient drivers who do not want to wait for their on coming traffic and turn in early and come face to face with my car.
The funny or helpless thing is they don't know what they are doing is wrong. For all they know, they are thinking, Road See. Steering Steer.

There needs to be some kind of education and a stringent phase based licence issue like some other countries, also keeping in mind our traffic and the general mentality of people.

Most Viewed