Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2017, 12:44   #9481
BHPian

These kind of idiots are some a dozen, the other day when I visited a temple at my place, I was boxed in by a auto who parked in front of my car. I was looking around whom to tell when another auto came, who then checked and found the driver. He came and moved his auto, and I had just moved away when a motor cyclist comes and parks it in the same spot, I tell him to move and he gives me a puzzled look and I have to explain that I can't move my car, which he does with reluctantly. I am like speechless, what to tell these morons. God help us.
sparky@home is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st August 2017, 15:44   #9482
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
the other day when I visited a temple at my place....I am like speechless, what to tell these morons. God help us.
You visited a Temple. Hmmm. So, the other guys also visited temple. You might have gone there to pray for your peace of mind. The guys who came their put your mind to pieces. And of course, given the fact that it was a temple, those "morons" might also have come to get "SOME HELP" from God, may be to sort out their minds to solve the above stated rant. We never know!

Sarcasm apart, but yeah, this category is on the rise.., even when they don't own/use vehicles. Read on...

Two weeks ago, I visited my cousin at Pune and since the plan was to roam around, we went to Lonavala on the second day. Out of the many view-points, we chose Lion's Point. The moment I entered, I saw the chaos with respect to parking. I was trying to search for a decent place to park between those haphazardly parked cars/jeeps/TTs/bikes when two different vendors from those tea/snack shops forced me to park right where I was. They did not let me budge. All they needed was some minor business.., like we buy tea/snacks from them and nothing much. But why force people to park in such a chaotic manner? I tried explaining them that if I park wherever I was, it would disturb others who might enter/exit.

Anyway, after spending a minute or two convincing them that I would return to them, I myself moved up further and found a spot where at least, I would not be blocking anyone and walked away. Once I made my move, the vendors started making other cars to stop. They insist that it's alright to park as it's their shop
vnidta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2017, 16:18   #9483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
In this one, while I was going to make a left turn at a T-Junction
Why are you on right lane if not turning right?
Unless I missed some lines in video, I see you are also at fault. Two lane road, left for left and right for right, if not marked, I guess.

Last edited by vidyanand : 21st August 2017 at 16:19. Reason: quote
Old 21st August 2017, 16:36   #9484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyanand View Post
Why are you on right lane if not turning right?
Unless I missed some lines in video, I see you are also at fault. Two lane road, left for left and right for right, if not marked, I guess.
Yes, I was close to the middle of the road. The Innova that you see at the start of the video actually honked and squeezed his way through which positioned me where I was; at the right half of the left lane of the 1+1 lane road. Yes, the road is a 1+1 road with some additional width which people squeeze through. The road is definitely not a 2+2 lane road, which would apply as suggested by you.
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2017, 16:47   #9485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Yes, I was close to the middle of the road. The Innova that you see at the start of the video actually honked and squeezed his way through which positioned me where I was; at the right half of the left lane of the 1+1 lane road. Yes, the road is a 1+1 road with some additional width which people squeeze through. The road is definitely not a 2+2 lane road, which would apply as suggested by you.
Thanks for clarifying.
I assumed that since you were on right, there was a lane divider/line under that Innova. Mind skipped the big vehicles squeezing in normal scenarios, these are reserved for our dear autos and cabbies.
Old 21st August 2017, 17:04   #9486
BHPian

Quote:
These kind of idiots are some a dozen, the other day when I visited a temple at my place, I was boxed in by a auto who parked in front of my car. I was looking around whom to tell when another auto came, who then checked and found the driver. He came and moved his auto, and I had just moved away when a motor cyclist comes and parks it in the same spot, I tell him to move and he gives me a puzzled look and I have to explain that I can't move my car, which he does with reluctantly. I am like speechless, what to tell these morons. God help us.
I had one of the worst experiences last year (this post bought the memory back), at the Gurgaon Civil courts, for our home registry. I promptly reached early (with my wife) and we found a decent parking -- this was probably around 9:30 AM. We were inside the court till 1:00 PM, and came out really really happy. The home was officially ours now!

Then the stupidity started: I could not believe the parking lot was the same, where we had parked our car. Everything looked totally different. Why? Because nearly every parked car had a perpendicular car blocking it. And the incorrect perpendicular cars were also parked bumper to bumper. I checked my car, and I would need to move an SUV class vehicle; and in-turn move the SUV, move a Maruti 800. A driver (God bless him) saw our pathetic situation, and advised my wife to take the steering as him and I pushed cars back and forth. It was really really angering and annoying. How could people have parked like that? I just failed to understand. A blind person would have parked better. That day I realized, nothing can come of our nation. Nothing. If these basics are not checked first. Just because we sent a mission to Mars -- holds no value. One of happiest days of my life was soured.

Last edited by asingh1977 : 21st August 2017 at 17:06.
asingh1977 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 08:16   #9487
BHPian

I saw a haphazardly driven Indicab approaching me. I thought the driver might be on the phone or sleeping, but no. I can't even believe that I actually saw this, but the driver was combing his hair with both his hands while looking into IRVM. I am still struggling to process this, but I guess this is so much better than the motorcyclist I saw, who had both his hands tasked with picking his nose whilst still on the road.
Old 22nd August 2017, 13:40   #9488
Team-BHP Support

Location: The turning towards TSPA from the Gachibowli Toll Gate. Its a downward ramp with some cars coming in at really high speeds.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-capture.png

But what a spot to sit on the bonnet and take a selfie:
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-orr-romance.jpg

Unfortunately due to the angle of the car, could not get a clear image of the number plate.

Last edited by bblost : 22nd August 2017 at 13:41.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 14:35   #9489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Location: The turning towards TSPA from the Gachibowli Toll Gate. Its a downward ramp with some cars coming in at really high speeds.
Attachment 1668839

But what a spot to sit on the bonnet and take a selfie:
Attachment 1668838

Unfortunately due to the angle of the car, could not get a clear image of the number plate.
I know this turn. Such a dangerous spot to stop. The road itself is just 2 lane wide and as you said, people do take this curving road at speeds. Crazy people!
Old 22nd August 2017, 15:13   #9490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
I know this turn. Such a dangerous spot to stop. The road itself is just 2 lane wide and as you said, people do take this curving road at speeds. Crazy people!
They probably wanted a selfie for the Bluewhale challenge!!!

In many countries, stopping like this is an offense and could lead to severe punishments!
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 16:39   #9491
Senior - BHPian

A few snippets from my dashcam:

1]Auto driver happily coming onto my lane, too lazy to even check if there are others in the lane!

2]This is a weird turn on a downhill. It starts off like a gentle curve and it tempts you to take it at speed but then the curve becomes a right angle turn and needless to say people are caught unawares like this biker who narrowly misses crashing into me.

3]Does he go straight? Does he want to turn? Ok he is going straight, no wait he is turning! Needless to say there was much shaking of my head after that.

4]No right turn! So what? I buy new car, i turn where i want, when i want!

5]Bit pissed off with work stuff and that incline was taken at speeds i should not have. And this clueless lady almost paid the price. Have to keep telling myself to leave work at office! She did have a very very sheepish smile on her face

6]Drunk passenger. I sympathize with the auto driver. But come on! You don't block an entire lane at a busy junction to let a passenger get down.Oh the honks behind me would have woken up kumbakarna! Actual event started well before this video starts.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 19:11   #9492
BHPian

I was pleased to read in the news today that two bus drivers who shot past a red signal was caught by the rto and he cancelled their licences on the spot, he also caught quite a few over speeding bikers, riding triple and helmetless, and did the same. I hope this is not a flash in the pan, and is the shape of things to come.
sparky@home is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 21:15   #9493
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... ... ... I hope this is not a flash in the pan, and is the shape of things to come.
I too hope that it is the shape of things to come.

But I don't think that two guys loosing their livelihoods for doing what they all do, and what their employers tacitly condone. When every bus driver knows that this is the likely consequence of ignoring traffic signals, and every bus company has altered its schedules and pressure on drivers accordingly, then is the time to take action against the drivers.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2017, 08:09   #9494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
But I don't think that two guys loosing their livelihoods for doing what they all do, and what their employers tacitly condone. When every bus driver knows that this is the likely consequence of ignoring traffic signals, and every bus company has altered its schedules and pressure on drivers accordingly, then is the time to take action against the drivers.
I also hope that this stringent action is like a deterrent for all bus drivers and that they fall in line when the question of livelihood is affected. Somebody will have to be made an example for others to follow. The bus owners will also automatically also follow the rules when the drivers are scared. Now with the new motor vehicle rules in place, lot of power has been vested in the hands of the RTO. If this makes the bus drivers drive safely. then its good for all.
Old 23rd August 2017, 13:50   #9495
Senior - BHPian

This happened today morning. Is it a failure of the AMT to "creep" or simply a case of careless driving (eg , shifting to neutral and forgetting about it). Anyway, what got my goat is that the driver appeared to blame me for bumping into him, through his in-car gestures. (Watch midway into the video).

Most Viewed