Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2017, 09:24   #9556
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Avoided a hit today with a cab that popped out of his cash lane onto the empty Fastag lane at EC-2 exit of Elevated Expressway. I had to slam my brakes full hard to be able to stop inches from him. The slope after the turn is steep and even at 40 it is quite forceful to brake.
Although I am not a raged driver and drive sedately, this time I made sure that he lost that saved time as I kept honking and following him until my office entry. He had to slow down and even stopped at a point but I did not want to teach road rules to a moron so simply looked him in eyes and moved on.
Old 4th September 2017, 17:02   #9557
BHPian

No reprieve for riders and drivers. Carrying original license is mandatory from 6th September, rules TN High Court.
Old 4th September 2017, 17:37   #9558
Senior - BHPian

Came across these riders today. Did not know where to go, so an impromptu discussion time

Terribly cut down video, so excuse the quality please...

arvind71181 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 10:53   #9559
Senior - BHPian

Goa DGP suggests beating traffic offenders with shoes on the “laaton ke bhoot ..” principle. Chap has turned up in this thread before when he was earlier posted in Delhi, very frank opinions on social media.

Met him once or twice a few years back, interesting character and a good officer who I guess was speaking figuratively. The average street cop might take him literally though.

http://www.timesnownews.com/india/ar...-goa-dgp/85177
Old 5th September 2017, 17:06   #9560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Came across these riders today. Did not know where to go, so an impromptu discussion time

Terribly cut down video, so excuse the quality please..
This happens when people are not aware of the area and where they need to go.

In my view, there is nothing wrong with them here since the rider took the vehicle to extreme left (Left to the line on the road) and then started discussing.

Had they had stood in the mid of the road, they deserve this post !
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 17:57   #9561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
That pedestrian that you passed at 00:57 should be walking on the other side of the road!

I am sure he is old enough to have been taught in school to walk facing the traffic! I am sure you had to honk, flash your lights to get his attention!
I normally keep my honking to the minimum possible. If I can do away without using it, I avoid. I honked 'long' when the lady squeezed in, and when the bike guy overtook.

Flashed lights to warn him, but on this road it is better for the pedestrians to walk on the same side where he was walking.
On the opposite side it will definitely cause more inconvenience to the vehicles. Cars can more closer to the wall on that side when passing each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
This happens when people are not aware of the area and where they need to go.

In my view, there is nothing wrong with them here since the rider took the vehicle to extreme left (Left to the line on the road) and then started discussing.

Had they had stood in the mid of the road, they deserve this post !
True, that happens when they are not aware of the roads, but stopping right at the corner is not a good practice. Blocks the path of a guy who wants to turn left. And by the way aravind71181 had stopped and then started moving, I guess he had to turn left.

Here is one guy texting and riding. Probably was using his 'side vision' and riding parallel to the indica to cross the road.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-scooter-1.png
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-scotter-2.png
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2017, 12:54   #9562
BHPian

This is a "T" junction on the mount poonamallee road from Kathirpara fly over.

The signal was "green" for me to turn right. The car in front of me is in the midst of making the right turn and I was following. 2 bikes jump their red, to turn right, cutting right in front of me. The pedestrian crossing is also green - though there were no pedestrians at that point in time.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-cutting-across-red.jpg  

swissknife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2017, 13:07   #9563
BHPian

I was on hilly section of a road with quite a few twists and turns, when a bike over takes me with 3 youngsters on it and no helmets, which is a common sight, but what shocked me was these chaps were posing and taking a selfie. The photographer was the chap who was in the back. I slowed down, as they were in the process of turning on to a by lane. This kind of reckless driving could be fatal for someone. I was unable to take any photos.
Old 8th September 2017, 13:42   #9564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
2 bikes jump their red, to turn right, cutting right in front of me.
The bike guy saw that there was enough space for him to pass in between you and the I10 ahead of you. That is the only thing they look for.
As far as the signal lights are concerned, these guys are color blind.

This was last week.
A chocolate brown colored Maruti Dzire TN04AS5332.
I have seen drivers speaking on the mobile, trying to text while driving, but this guy takes the cake. Mobile firm on holder and watching a movie.
Also does not bother to use indicators. The taxi driver infront of him had better sense. Then turns to the right in front of the Bolero, again with no indication.

Old 10th September 2017, 21:22   #9565
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure whether this belongs here. While I had my heart in mouth after slamming the brakes and avoiding a potential knock down, the husband calmly waves what is assumed to be an apology and continues the discussion with his wife on which route they should take. After passing to my left, another auto rickshaw guy is also surprised since this couple appear from my left and they got a yell in the usual auto-driver lingo 'Yaayyee'

audioholic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 22:15   #9566
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

This morning I was out on the scooter for some errands and noticed two bad riders accompanied by their fathers (my best guess).

First one was a young boy (possibly college going) riding a Honda Activa fast with a middle aged person (seemed like his father) riding pillion, boy was riding without helmet and father had a helmet on and was also carrying another one in his hand. I really don't understand what makes these people not wear them ?

Next was a young girl riding a Jupiter scooter accompanied by her father as pillion, both without helmets.

I would definitely blame the parents for not setting the right example. So how can we expect the younger generation to learn good things ?

No wonder we have a high rate of fatalities due to helmetless riding.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 23:55   #9567
BHPian

It is quite common to find vehicles parked in the parking areas in a haphazard manner which leads to underutilization of the parking space and chaos during entry and exit. It seems motorists don't park their vehicles, they just abandon them as per their whims and fancies.
Old 11th September 2017, 07:56   #9568
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry dude! You still had to face many hurdles :

This is something that is way too common on our roads. This fella was nothing unusual but what really irked me is the fact that he so casually took the wrong side to pass the signal just before the light turned Red again; All this on a day & time when traffic was really spare here.

So I made sure that he faced the oncoming traffic that just turned right soon after and negotiate with them as well.

Last edited by paragsachania : 11th September 2017 at 07:57. Reason: edited URL
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 08:42   #9569
Senior - BHPian

I had a strange encounter over the weekend. Was running some errands on my Activa when the a Swift dzire in front was driving zig zag manner albeit at slow speeds,. When I crossed the dzire, I was astounded to see a middle aged guy with his daughter in his lap and his daughter was operating the steering which resulted in the zig zag manner. I just nodded my head in disgust and went ahead and parked near a pan stall. This guy comes behind me and parks his car haphazardly and downs his window glass and accusingly asks me what was the issue. I calmly told him allowing his daughter to operate the steering and her is his lap was a dangerous thing and could harm both as well as others on the road. This guys gets down menacingly almost for a fight and starts abusing. Meanwhile others nearby and few of my building friends who were there at the pan stall try to reason out but he comes more agitated. Finally I had too even raise my voice and tell him sternly that I had a pic of him with his daughter in lap and daughter operating the steering and that I will post on the Thane traffic police website. Suddenly the behavior changes and he becomes apologetic. After a few minutes he moves away but again with his daughter in his lap.

Such morons can never learn, dunno how this guy got his driving licence. Most of all what impression would his behaviors have on his daughter.
ghodlur is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 08:50   #9570
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I calmly told him allowing his daughter to operate the steering and her is his lap was a dangerous thing and could harm both as well as others on the road. This guys gets down menacingly almost for a fight and starts abusing.
Speaking technical and law with such people wont help. Rather play the emotional card and tell him that if his car has an airbag and if it accidentally deploys it could kill his child. These guys dont have the brains to think beyond ego and emotions. Hence, trying to make them understand safety and rules will just tickle their ego.

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th September 2017 at 16:07. Reason: Please don't use foul language on Team-BHP. Thanks!
audioholic is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks