Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2017, 06:43   #9631
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAS View Post
I guess its not about the education level or skills but about thought process. .....
We can probably teach the illiterate drivers about driving manners but not the educated morons.
Precisely. Illiterate drivers, with a bit of "road sense", which is different from common sense or education, can be safe drivers. Educated Idiots, which we have plenty on road behind the wheel, who lack "road sense" are dangerous to themselves and others.
Old 1st October 2017, 16:42   #9632
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

What's the point of Airbags & ABS if you drive with your mirrors folded? And mind you, it was no chauffeur behind the wheel. Appeared to be a well-heeled older gent.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20170930_210403.jpg
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st October 2017, 17:00   #9633
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Precisely. Illiterate drivers, with a bit of "road sense", which is different from common sense or education, can be safe drivers. ... ... ....
I don't think that driving takes literacy at all. To be a proper driver, one needs to be able to learn the rules, written and unwritten, and understand their need. This takes some intelligence and more appreciation of safety and consideration for others. There is not one single thing that they taught me at school that made me a better driver. Not one.

In fact, as everyone at least walks on the street, I used to wonder why road awareness and (in UK) the Highway Code was not part of the curriculum. I suppose (I'd be happy to be wrong) that (in UK) it still isn't.

Apart from road signs, a person could be literally illiterate (unable to read and write) and still be a competent and considerate driver.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2017, 17:50   #9634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What's the point of Airbags & ABS if you drive with your mirrors folded? And mind you, it was no chauffeur behind the wheel. Appeared to be a well-heeled older gent.
This quite a common practice, which i have seen, and i presume the reason is a fear of a vehicle snapping of of the ORVM. Its ofcourse at the cost of safety.
Old 1st October 2017, 20:55   #9635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
This quite a common practice, which i have seen, and i presume the reason is a fear of a vehicle snapping of of the ORVM. Its ofcourse at the cost of safety.
That may well be but my friend had to hear this from one of his friends when he was driving:

"You still drive with mirrors? I am an advanced driver and i don't need mirrors now!"

Needless to say my friend almost lost it
deathwalkr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2017, 00:23   #9636
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
"You still drive with mirrors? I am an advanced driver and i don't need mirrors now!"

It would be very dangerous to say that to me while I'm driving. I really doubt that I can laugh that hard and drive safely at the same time.
Old 2nd October 2017, 06:14   #9637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

It would be very dangerous to say that to me while I'm driving. I really doubt that I can laugh that hard and drive safely at the same time.
Oh, we have more:
Me: switch on your lights, it is almost dark.
Driver: Sir, you are old, I can still see the road.
RajaTaurus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 12:34   #9638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Oh, we have more:
Me: switch on your lights, it is almost dark.
Driver: Sir, you are old, I can still see the road.
A very valid reason to fire him in my opinion.

My aunt doesn't wear the seat belt in her car and uses the til foil helmet. Every time I point at it, she says 'I am safe, things will not happen to me'.

When she is in my car, I had made her believe that my car does not run without seatbelts buckled up :P
Viv3k is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 18:45   #9639
Senior - BHPian

Watch the city guy cutting into my lane abruptly. Later on when I see this video, I do realize that the lane next to me was empty but at that point of time my decision was to stick to that lane. At the end, he won and reached office 2 minutes before me. All this because he did not bother to see that the lane to my right which is usually an incoming lane was blocked and indicated with signage as well

arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 19:23   #9640
Senior - BHPian

Ouch! Typical attitude of most drivers who think by getting their nose ahead of you they have right of way.

Sigh :(
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 11:59   #9641
Distinguished - BHPian

A small sample from my hemlet cam, I was joining a busy road from a small intersection, and a Jazz was joining too. I saw an omni coming fast, surprisingly neither the omni nor the Jazz slowed down. Pretty close they both were!

PrasannaDhana is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 12:55   #9642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
A small sample from my hemlet cam, I was joining a busy road from a small intersection, and a Jazz was joining too. I saw an omni coming fast, surprisingly neither the omni nor the Jazz slowed down. Pretty close they both were!
I presume the small road was a "T" junction. IMHO, both, the jazz and you didn't take that right turn properly. I see that both of you turned on the inside and drive/rode on the wrong side of the road and merged into the left side of the road. Definitely not a good driving practice.

The Omni would have been on the
he blind spot of the jazz. Further, the jazz didn't have much of an option but to move to the left since there was another car head on.
swissknife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 13:11   #9643
BHPian

I was reading some article and it was written "Indians drive the way they like to walk". So it is all right to push / shove, and touch a bit here and there. It is mind boggling the way we drive. If people are not concerned for their own safety, why do they not worry about the repercussions of vehicles. Some weeks back, I was standing in front of my i20, bonnet was open. [Was checking break fluid]. Just seeing the huge hunk of metal and machine a thought came to my mind "this machine can kill". Ya, it is not a gun, but it can become a loaded weapon -- any vehicle for that sense, if driven improperly and too fast.

I seriously, fail to understand: how can India as a mass of people, collectively think in this dumb fashion (road manners) daily. Not once in a while, but daily. Every hour. Every minute on the road.
asingh1977 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 13:19   #9644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
I presume the small road was a "T" junction. IMHO, both, the jazz and you didn't take that right turn properly. I see that both of you turned on the inside and drive/rode on the wrong side of the road and merged into the left side of the road. Definitely not a good driving practice.

The Omni would have been on the
he blind spot of the jazz. Further, the jazz didn't have much of an option but to move to the left since there was another car head on.
I think this every single day. No one takes a 90 degree turn anymore. Everyone drives on the wrong side of the road and joins. Especially two wheelers which suddenly dart into your lane to avoid the on coming traffic.
bharat4ever is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 13:31   #9645
BHPian

I was driving home from office yesterday and there was an unusually long queue at one of the traffic signals. The traffic is usually flowing smoothly over there.

First I thought that maybe there has been an accident or something else blocking traffic but when I reached the junction then I realized that the jam was not due to any accident. It was due to the fact that the signal was off and traffic police were manning the signal.

This is seen every time the policemen replace the signals. Why is this ? Do these guys not receive any training or do they not take into consideration how to keep traffic flowing ? Why does traffic flow smoothly with automated control and not with manual control ? Any insights ?
luvDriving is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks