Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2017, 13:37   #9646
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
I think this every single day. No one takes a 90 degree turn anymore. Everyone drives on the wrong side of the road and joins. Especially two wheelers which suddenly dart into your lane to avoid the on coming traffic.
It is a disgusting practice especially at blind turns.

I have two such on the approach road to my apartment and see this stupidity dozens of times a day.

If the cops were to place a camera there, it would speedily recover its cost in traffic fines for this behaviour alone.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 13:42   #9647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
Why does traffic flow smoothly with automated control and not with manual control ? Any insights ?
This is my observation.
Traffic lights do not have emotions. They are ruthless. When the time elapses, it changes colour.

On the contrary, policemen try to clear an entire side of traffic before stopping that and allowing another. During this time, traffic piles up on the sides that are stopped. They don't cycle the traffic from one side to another at, say, a frequency of 30 seconds. They generally allow traffic for 4/5 minutes. This leads to frustration, impatience to get to the front and also break the law, leading to further issues.
swissknife is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 18:16   #9648
Senior - BHPian

But, traffic lights being operated by the cop at peak hours is many times useful, especially, if traffic in one direction is much more than other 3 sides.
Imagine you on the side where 10 cars pile up per minute and on 2 other sides, just two cars pass and empty. Frustration actually multiplies.
RajaTaurus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 23:18   #9649
Senior - BHPian

I generally find at the smaller junctions traffic flows much better when the lights arent working. Manned junctions can be a hit or miss at times.
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 00:19   #9650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
A small sample from my hemlet cam
When did you get a new bike? Did you trade in Duke 390 for an RC?
Old 5th October 2017, 05:45   #9651
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
When did you get a new bike? Did you trade in Duke 390 for an RC?
No, i sold my Duke 390 and was having a hard time choosing between a new Dike 390 and new RC390. So I borrowed my friend's RC200 so that I can get an idea of the seating position over long periods of riding. Finally I am sold on RC 390

Old 5th October 2017, 12:27   #9652
BHPian

Here is a policeman, without a helmet, who has ridden on the wrong side of the road and wanted to make a "U" turn at this narrow stretch!

A motorcyclist joins the traffic from the wrong side, no helmet and talking on the phone as well!
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-policeman-without-helmet-wrong-side-road.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bike-joining-road-wrong-side-no-helmet-phone.jpg  

Last edited by swissknife : 5th October 2017 at 12:32. Reason: Including the pics that went missing
swissknife is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 14:32   #9653
BHPian

That should read: A motorcyclist joins the traffic from the wrong side, no helmet and talking on the phone and no rear view mirrors as well!

It is really surprising to see how many two wheelers are ridden without mirrors in Chennai. Surely, the riders realize the danger they place themselves and other road users in.

Last edited by marsbhp : 5th October 2017 at 14:33. Reason: Removed quote.
Old 5th October 2017, 17:48   #9654
PAS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsbhp View Post

It is really surprising to see how many two wheelers are ridden without mirrors in Chennai....
I know someone who gifted himself Pulsar years back, the first thing he did just after PDI was remove those extra weight which as per him affects the performance of the sports bike. Indeed i am referring to horns, main stand and yeah mirrors.

Needless to say, He thinks our roads are unsafe for bikers.
PAS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 22:28   #9655
BHPian

Time and again I have had many incidents which definitely reassure that defensive driving is of utmost importance in Chennai.

Was on my way to pick up my mom and this junction after Officers Training Academy on GST road is notorious for accidents. You can clearly see that despite 3 other cars waiting in the correct lane for a U-turn this taxi driver decides he's just gonna wing it by going around and hope for the best.

Now he appears in the dash cam video much before I spotted him because of the field of view of the camera. He came into my FOV just as I was near the rear of the car taking a U-turn on my side. But I always anticipate some guy to do this everytime since the cops have not narrowed down the opening in the junction, limiting it to just one car.

I was doing the speed limit but there was another car tailgating me hence I braked a little less hard than what the situation demanded. After that as I moved on and got parallel to him I saw that he was busy chatting with his passenger rather than driving attentively. I really wanted to give him a piece of my mind but swallowed my seething anger and moved on.

Last edited by Shanksta : 6th October 2017 at 22:33.
Shanksta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2017, 15:16   #9656
BHPian

This biker seems to have been a little too inspired by 'Bahubali'
Image captured on an inter-town road near Vijayawada. People like these can be found anywhere and everywhere, making it even more necessary for us to be doubly careful while driving!!
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_20171007_093113.jpg  

espraveen is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 12:38   #9657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsbhp View Post
That should read: A motorcyclist joins the traffic from the wrong side, no helmet and talking on the phone and no rear view mirrors as well!
If you look closely, the bike infact has both the left and right side rear view mirrors. At least that is what I managed to visualize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by espraveen View Post
This biker seems to have been a little too inspired by 'Bahubali'
Could also be practicing for either the pole vault or the javelin throw. Summer Olympics Automobile.

Here is a lady on a scooter, who came in diagonally. Was just not in my vision till she appeared right in front. Had a small bang. Audio changed to mask the blessings given to her.
I hope you all dont blame me for the bad driving.
She just came in out of the blue. (camera placed on the wind shield and with a 160 degree angle view.

CAPTAIN REX is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 13:14   #9658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bad driver here- me!
Blame the 390. You cannot do what the 390 can do in the ghats with a litre class even with ABS.

To an extent this curve was practically out of no where(No sign boards or any indications) and even slow riding bikes find it sudden on this particular curve. Good that you started slowing down. That is what i felt even on the 390. But i had new tyres, new brakes and new bike to manage and move on.

Also mask the speedo in a software. It shows dangerous speed for the forum. The sound of rear tyre skipping is so awesome IMHO

Last edited by VW2010 : 10th October 2017 at 13:19.
Old 11th October 2017, 19:52   #9659
Senior - BHPian

Want to narrate an incident that occurred to me few days ago but still boils my blood:

After coming down a flyover, I was cruising in the fast lane on my bike when a splendor suddenly swerved into my lane. I honked at him and once I was sure that he wasn't moving further right, I passed him and signaled the classic fixing light bulb sign to express my annoyance at his actions. Few hundred meters ahead, I am stopped at a traffic light and the guy who I had honked at, turned out to be a cop. He had cut through the traffic and stopped perpendicular to my bike on the zebra crossing asking me why I signaled him like so. I explained to him that he needs to check his rear view mirrors before suddenly switching lanes. He told me that I should have simply passed him on the left. He began taking a very arrogant tone and this is when I gave up, folded my hands and said "sorry boss". This is the first time that I have had to concede like this and ever since I have been genuinely pissed off. Want to buy an action cam to record such things from now on. Anyone have any recommendations? Sleek but inexpensive is preferred if it can be had

Last edited by IshaanIan : 11th October 2017 at 19:53.
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 21:53   #9660
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
He told me that I should have simply passed him on the left. He began taking a very arrogant tone and this is when I gave up, folded my hands and said "sorry boss". This is the first time that I have had to concede like this and ever since I have been genuinely pissed off. Want to buy an action cam to record such things from now on. Anyone have any recommendations? Sleek but inexpensive is preferred if it can be had
Why did you give in? Cops are big cowards. They dont raise their voice at guys who they think would fight back. Anyways if you are in your early twenties and have a boyish personality, they get more confident intimidating you.

As for the action cam, get SJCAM SJ4000. I use it. Its pretty decent and vfm too. 6000 rupees iirc. It shoots 30fps videos and battery lasts for 90 minutes to 100 minutes for a single charge. Very easy to use too.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed