Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2017, 19:18   #9706
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravimathi View Post
The truck driver used his hand to indicate the lane change which was not enough for this speeding BMW driver who failed to note that. Fortunately, he applied brakes on time and avoided an unnecessary road accident. I feel both should have been a little more careful in this. Happened near Krishnagiri on NH44.
Just to set the record straight, signalling your intention to switch lanes, either by hand or otherwise, doesn't automatically give you the right to cut across lane(s). The truck driver should have ensured that there is no oncoming traffic from behind in the lane he intends to switch to, before switching lanes. That is the correct procedure, and that is one of the reasons why you have a side mirror.
longhorn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th October 2017, 15:28   #9707
Senior - BHPian

Multiple bad drivers spottings in Bangalore today afternoon.

Bad driver 1 : This grey i10 driver merged directly into my lane without indicator (I had slowed down but still). I honked him for (i) to inform that his door was not closed properly and it was dangerously close to opening (ii) to show my displeasure. He took it wrongly and showed me a "What is the problem" kind of gesture.

Bad driver 2 : These two people along with their families on their bikes were standing and chit chatting on the road near Chalukya hotel/race course junction. But (i) they were standing against the flow of traffic on the right most lane (ii) They were oblivious of the issue they were creating (iii) They continued on the wrong way towards race course signal and I think one of them had a small kid as well on their bike.

Bad driver 3 : For people who have driven on krumbigal road near lalbagh this might not be new. For benefit of others, this road is a one way from lalbagh main gate towards lalbagh west gate. But people drive on the wrong way always. I have seen the usual culprits bikes , autos and few times cars (both yellow and white boards). People be careful and be on the left lane on this stretch as much as possible else drive very slowly.

Bad driver 4 :

The innova driver wanted to avoid the cops who were catching people for sunfilm. He just didn't care if there was someone next to the car or not.

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 29th October 2017 at 15:47. Reason: Added one more example
TorqueyTechie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2017, 16:05   #9708
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
But people drive on the wrong way always.
This has become very common across Bangalore's one-way streets
Just use the New Thippasandra/BEML Main road starting from 80 feet road and drive up to the BEML junction - you will see at least 20-30 vehicles including 2 wheelers, autos and cars coming at you on the wrong side

Yesterday, while cops stationed themselves on one of the cross roads and were stopping vehicles for various violations like one-way, seat belt, helmets, some of the one-way violators got smarter and were taking the next parallel cross road just after crossing the road where checking was in progress!

This is just a sign of lack of will to follow the law, disregard for safety and general lack of driving etiquette, culture and civic sense, god help us. As they say, common sense is quite uncommon these days.

Last edited by NPV : 29th October 2017 at 16:07.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2017, 18:05   #9709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
This has become very common across Bangalore's one-way streets
Just use the New Thippasandra/BEML Main road starting from 80 feet road and drive up to the BEML junction - you will see at least 20-30 vehicles including 2 wheelers, autos and cars coming at you on the wrong side

Yesterday, while cops stationed themselves on one of the cross roads and were stopping vehicles for various violations like one-way, seat belt, helmets, some of the one-way violators got smarter and were taking the next parallel cross road just after crossing the road where checking was in progress!

This is just a sign of lack of will to follow the law, disregard for safety and general lack of driving etiquette, culture and civic sense, god help us. As they say, common sense is quite uncommon these days.
Yes, I travel regularly in the New Thippasandra main road. Things have become worse of late - too many people disregard the one-way. Earlier it was only bikers. Now even autos and cars do it. Its particularly bad near the Ganesha Temple.
I too noticed some Traffic police yesterday in the by-lane next to Ganesha Temple catching some people for violations. But news of their presence travels very fast - I noticed many people taking bylanes to avoid them. What we need is regular and mobile patrols to catch violators off guard. Instead of focusing on helmet-less riders, they are better of targeting over-speeding, jumping signals, one-way violators etc.
Old 30th October 2017, 06:09   #9710
BHPian

I use this road regularly as live in the vicinity and I try not to give way to the guys coming on the wrong side. But then at some point I have to yield. IMO, seeing others doing it without getting punished is the biggest reason for the gradual increase in violation. There is absolutely no fear of cops.
sbkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 07:19   #9711
Senior - BHPian

This driver makes an amazing right turn on the highway. As I was maintaining a good distance and saw his last moment indicator, I didn't have any problems, but a close tailgater would have crashed into him. Infact you can see all three vehicles demonstrating various ways of turning right!

Last edited by BenjiRoss : 30th October 2017 at 07:21.
BenjiRoss is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 09:48   #9712
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Its particularly bad near the Ganesha Temple.
I too noticed some Traffic police yesterday in the by-lane next to Ganesha Temple catching some people for violations.
Checking was going on at the cross road beside the temple, so the violators were going ahead and turning left at the next cross road beside Meenakshi electricals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
I use this road regularly as live in the vicinity and I try not to give way to the guys coming on the wrong side. But then at some point I have to yield.
Absolutely not worth doing this, it will most likely be a trigger for road rage, these people who violate one-way rules are waiting for someone to provoke them. For your own safety and that of your vehicle, just avoid them and move over.

Last edited by NPV : 30th October 2017 at 09:50.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 10:55   #9713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Absolutely not worth doing this, it will most likely be a trigger for road rage, these people who violate one-way rules are waiting for someone to provoke them. For your own safety and that of your vehicle, just avoid them and move over.
I agree. For a while i tried blocking the people coming in the wrong direction in a one way road, but they either just didn't care or got aggressive. No use putting yourself in harm's way for such people.
DriverR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 12:26   #9714
BHPian

So I said a prayer.

I am taking the free left after Cloud 9 (to connect to the Medanta straight road), and see a bus suddenly braking [to my left] -- and say to my self "when will these bus drivers learn". I move forward and see the actual reason. A girl on a scooter is literally looking down on her phone and riding, and the scooter is actually wobbling as she continues to race it ahead. She did not even realize, that she missed death by a mere few inches / seconds. Totally oblivious to the traffic and scenario around her. She could have been good as sipping coffee on her lawn, and busy with her phone. Worst is: she continued this behavior as long as I could see her in my rear mirrors. I really fail to understand this addiction to phones. Just pull in -- and do what you want.

The way she was glued to her phone, I would not even "walk" on a traffic street, in a similar fashion. Is a phone call / smart phone really that important that it precedes your life. Seeing all this: I wish smartphones had never come to India. They are a huge nuisance root. Driving is a mature and serious matter, when will we Indians understand this. Specially two wheeler owners: who goof off with their phones. They should do a small experiment. Stand in front of a truck / buses bonnet [which is parked -- and absolutely still] and touch it with your chest. Remember that feeling. It is scary.

Last edited by asingh1977 : 30th October 2017 at 12:54.
asingh1977 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st November 2017, 22:58   #9715
BHPian

This guy on the scooty did not care if 2tons of metal was rolling towards him, he did not care for the fact that you are supposed to look left and right when you cross. He does not give a damn about his safety because I the car driver should ensure he is safe on the road. He had set a target and wanted to achieve it.

Does not look like a close call in the video, but it was.

* There is no U-turn at this signal. But there were so many of them waiting to take a illegal turn that the auto guy decided to just cut back into the lane. Why bother looking?

* Same case with this Alto driver. Stop for parking, no parking space available no problems just cut back into the lane.

* The way this Xylo cabbie cut off the Liva driver was carelessness at its peak. Rule: Turn on your indicator you have the right to turn into whichever side immediately, no ifs or buts.

Old 2nd November 2017, 01:47   #9716
Senior - BHPian

Last night, 9-ish, along the Sarjapura Road between Agara and St. John's Hospital junction, I saw a lady engrossed in some soap serial playing on her iPhone, driving a Nano. She was using the others' honks instead of the traffic signal lights to figure out when to start moving. Fortunately for her (and the others around), it was crawling traffic and there was no way anyone could move more than a few feet in a stretch.

There was also a gentleman in a Corsa who seemed to be having his dinner, while waiting at signals. He wasn't distracted or driving rash, but effectively utilising his time
silversteed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2017, 16:19   #9717
BHPian

Truckers hogging the right lane is a pretty common sight on my daily route from Sion, through Chembur and on to Navi Mumbai but today was the pits. One such big fellow, carrying a large fabricated steel structure, obviously trying to catch up with another similarly loaded truck, was weaving between the extreme right and left lanes, at a good clip. He was getting to be a nuisance and a menace to other road users so I decided to teach him a lesson, if I got a chance. This opportunity came on the Vashi Creek bridge, when I was able to get in front of him and signaled to him to get to the left. He did, momentarily and as soon as I went ahead, he swung back to the right lane, or tried to. I slowed down again so that he had to move to his left and a couple of cars behind pushed their way into the space left by him, leaving him with no option but to remain in his lane. By then we had reached the toll plaza, which ensured that he couldn't push his way back. I wonder if he understood what was going on today, though I doubt it.
The pics below show the sequence of events, through the front and rear dashcams.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-truck-pic-1.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-truck-pic-2.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-truck-pic-3.jpg  

Old 2nd November 2017, 16:23   #9718
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
This driver makes an amazing right turn on the highway. As I was maintaining a good distance and saw his last moment indicator, I didn't have any problems, but a close tailgater would have crashed into him. Infact you can see all three vehicles demonstrating various ways of turning right!
OT: Isn't you cam pointed a little too much towards the sky? The road is barely visible at the bottom.
Old 2nd November 2017, 16:31   #9719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarPatel View Post
I slowed down again so that he had to move to his left and a couple of cars behind pushed their way into the space left by him, leaving him with no option but to remain in his lane.
This I find extremely risky to pull off. I normally assume that if I brake or slow down when a heavy vehicle is tailing me, that they may not be able to stop in time. Or just not bother to.
Just increases the risk that we would be rear ended.

In my opinion, our life, limbs and cars are more important than trying to teach someone a lesson which they neither understand nor imbibe.
selfdrive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2017, 16:49   #9720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
There was also a gentleman in a Corsa who seemed to be having his dinner, while waiting at signals. He wasn't distracted or driving rash, but effectively utilising his time
I am often guilty of doing that myself...
I spend 3 hours on the road every day - at least 30 min in jams / signal each way. Better to use that time effectively than lose time of work / sleep / playing with my son.
You should have a "foodholder" on your dashbard and tissues on hand so that you do not drive with food in your hand - process optimization.
chinkara is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed