Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2017, 16:58   #9721
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
This I find extremely risky to pull off. I normally assume that if I brake or slow down when a heavy vehicle is tailing me, that they may not be able to stop in time. Or just not bother to.
Just increases the risk that we would be rear ended.

In my opinion, our life, limbs and cars are more important than trying to teach someone a lesson which they neither understand nor imbibe.
I did keep a sharp eye out for his responses in my RVMs, ready to take evasive action. But you're right, I shouldn't try such stunts but where are the traffic police when you need them!?
Old 2nd November 2017, 18:24   #9722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
OT: Isn't you cam pointed a little too much towards the sky? The road is barely visible at the bottom.
Good observation. I'm using a mobile phone on a cheap mount at the bottom of the windshield stabilised against the dashboard as a stop gap till I get a good dash cam. That is why the video looks like that. If I point it right it shakes like crazy!!
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2017, 16:58   #9723
Distinguished - BHPian

From my helmet cam, Just check out how the silver swift driver takes a left turn without even looking for the biker who was already on the space.

PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 11:53   #9724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
From my helmet cam, Just check out how the silver swift driver takes a left turn without even looking for the biker who was already on the space.
Mistake of the Swift driver? Not really. Granted he could have avoided that situation. But mostly in these type of diversions or in a roundabout, most 2 wheeler riders just cut into your path/ take a tighter turn.

Even in this case the biker was on the left lane and ideally should have moved more into the left lane in the diversion. Rather he just wanted to take the shortest path i.e. from the left lane into the right lane in the diverted road. It is more the fault of the two wheeler rider putting himself in danger in this case.

There are very few riders on the road that actually realise the width of a 4 wheeler or bus lorry and give adequate space during such maneuvers.

Last edited by Shanksta : 6th November 2017 at 12:16.
Shanksta is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 13:38   #9725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
rom my helmet cam, Just check out how the silver swift driver takes a left turn without even looking for the biker who was already on the space.
Looks more like the car driver was on phone(happy speculation in case some one gets offended to this comment) and casually started to move to the left. In these diversions the one losing the road should have some sense of what is on the left or right before getting into the available space.

The bike rider did start to move towards the left. Unfortunately the distracted swift could hardly care what was to his left.
VW2010 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 13:59   #9726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
Mistake of the Swift driver? Not really. Granted he could have avoided that situation. But mostly in these type of diversions or in a roundabout, most 2 wheeler riders just cut into your path/ take a tighter turn.

Even in this case the biker was on the left lane and ideally should have moved more into the left lane in the diversion. Rather he just wanted to take the shortest path i.e. from the left lane into the right lane in the diverted road. It is more the fault of the two wheeler rider putting himself in danger in this case.

There are very few riders on the road that actually realise the width of a 4 wheeler or bus lorry and give adequate space during such maneuvers.
Looks like the rider was in front of the car when the swift squeezed into the space. This would mean the swift had clear sight of the vehicle.
Vignesh_N/A is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 13:59   #9727
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Mistake of the Swift driver? Not really.

So that justifies a car driver to not be cautious and mow down bikers just because they were ignorant and failed to move to the left?

Agreed the biker is at fault too, but shouldnt we car drivers look out for such bikers before making a turn? Why not slow down a bit before the turn?

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 6th November 2017 at 14:08.
Old 6th November 2017, 14:12   #9728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vignesh_N/A View Post
Looks like the rider was in front of the car when the swift squeezed into the space. This would mean the swift had clear sight of the vehicle.
Looks more like they were parallel and when the bike rider started moving to the left the swift driver expected he would further move giving him space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
So that justifies a car driver to not be cautious and mow down bikers just because they were ignorant and failed to move to the left?

Agreed the biker is at fault, but shouldnt we car drivers look out for such bikers before making a turn? Why not slow down a bit before the turn?
I in no way meant that car drivers can be less cautious and mow down bikers. What if this was at a higher speed and the car driver could not avoid a collision despite braking in an emergency?

By the way look at your footage again you can clearly see the swift driver braking because he realised that the biker would not continue further left. Do also see that the right of his car came very close to median. Why? Because he was forced to by the ignorant biker.

Also I noticed the biker had his right indicator on. So is it justified that he can move from the left lane on the main road into the rightmost lane into the diverted road without giving due consideration of space for a car driving parallel to him just because he turned on his indicator.

Anyway just as how you've speculated the swift driver to be ignorant, the above was my speculation. Let us leave it at that.

Last edited by Shanksta : 6th November 2017 at 14:16.
Shanksta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 14:50   #9729
BHPian

Quote:
Looks more like they were parallel and when the bike rider started moving to the left the swift driver expected he would further move giving him space.
The bike is ahead of the swift at this point. And I cannot see the blinker being turned ON until 00:15

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-untitled.jpg

Last edited by Vignesh_N/A : 6th November 2017 at 14:51.
Vignesh_N/A is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 15:00   #9730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyway just as how you've speculated the swift driver to be ignorant, the above was my speculation. Let us leave it at that.
@Vignesh. I think the end intention was to go to the right lane. He did not change or move his bike towards the car and it was the other way around. And as you move forward in the video you will see the guy actually taking a look at his mirror.

In the end nothing happened and i guess both are good and bad drivers to be on this thread. Bad that they could have ended up in a collision, good that they didnt.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 21:01   #9731
BHPian

This video is viral in the social media as well as news apps now. A jeep comes in the wrong lane and a biker stops him. Jeeper tries to scare him, but the biker does not move a bit. Eventually, the jeeper comes out and starts beating him up.
knightrider_7 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 22:36   #9732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrider_7 View Post
This video is viral in the social media as well as news apps now. A jeep comes in the wrong lane and a biker stops him. Jeeper tries to scare him, but the biker does not move a bit. Eventually, the jeeper comes out and starts beating him up.

While the intention is good, not sure if this is really necessary or if it will make a difference. He endangered himself. Look at the way he is being attacked by the jeeper, he is simply consumed by rage. We all have a family waiting at home, and IMHO, this is simply not worth it.

Hope some positive action comes out of the FIR which has apparently been filed, saw that on Facebook.
arvind71181 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 22:56   #9733
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely stupidity on the bikers part. Why, cos he lives in India. It doesn't matter he was on the right side, it doesn't matter he wanted accountability from the Jeep driver for coming to the wrong side. He is lucky to get just a beating which I knew was coming the moment jeep driver came out. We live in the country where people shoot others for such small things. Morons are aplenty. Our life is more important for us and our loved ones.

As someone mentioned a FIR has been done. I don't have high hopes but hopefully bike guy may get justice. Still, a foolish thing to do.
harry10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th November 2017, 00:18   #9734
BANNED

Foolishness + Ego Clash = The video posted above

The motorcycle rider was indeed foolish at this point of time as he was trying to give the Thar guy a lesson, but by causing a traffic bottleneck at the same time. Even if the Thar was in the wrong direction, the biker didn't needed to waste so much of his time and of course blood too, just for the sake of his ego.

Thar driver was, like most of the Indians, "I own a car and I am God" type. I agree that it was hardly 20 meters away the diversion, but first he was on the wrong side and secondly he tried to bully away the biker - definitely deserves to pay a decent amount to Police (Everyone knows that cops are gonna let him go after some heavy kharcha pani).
VKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2017, 09:51   #9735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Foolishness + Ego Clash = The video posted above

The motorcycle rider was indeed foolish at this point of time as he was trying to give the Thar guy a lesson, but by causing a traffic bottleneck at the same time. Even if the Thar was in the wrong direction, the biker didn't needed to waste so much of his time and of course blood too, just for the sake of his ego.
Yeah. He could have simply picked a stone and smashed the Thar's windscreen and rode away from scene.
Vignesh_N/A is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks