Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2017, 16:44   #9811
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Yesterday, an overzealous cop in Kanyakumari almost beheaded a rider for not wearing a helmet. As the video indicates, the rider apparently didn’t stop for the police check point, and tried to simply bypass the checkpoint. A traffic cop, noticing the rider approaching without slowing down, swung his baton (lathi) at the rider’s head. The action was pre-meditated, as the video shows the cop clearly ready for the biker. The lathi hit the rider, causing a grievous laceration injury. A lot of bleeding ensued. Angry bystanders, shocked at the police brutality, surrounded the cops and nearly assaulted him. The reaction of the bystanders was also caught on camera.

source :
http://www.cartoq.com/cctv-cop-nearl...earing-helmet/
sparky@home is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2017, 17:50   #9812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
As the video indicates, the rider apparently didn’t stop for the police check point, and tried to simply bypass the checkpoint.
Why don't the bikers stop when the police want them to?

For all the cops knee it could be a couple of thiefs/ murderers making a getaway. How else do the cops check people?
sunsetorange is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2017, 19:04   #9813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
Why don't the bikers stop when the police want them to?

For all the cops knee it could be a couple of thiefs/ murderers making a getaway. How else do the cops check people?
It’s true that the biker did not stop which he should have, but the cop’s action too was very violent. He could easily killed that chap. The biker was not wearing a helmet and that probably made him reckless. That he is in not in an ICU is a blessing.
sparky@home is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2017, 22:24   #9814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
How else do the cops check people?
Quote:
He could easily killed that chap. The biker was not wearing a helmet and that probably made him reckless.
In some parts of India police/security forces may not hesitate to shoot if you fail to stop when they signal you to stop. I have personally seen couple of incidents in Assam.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 13:39   #9815
BHPian

"Life is precious", is it?

harsh79 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 13:56   #9816
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Not sure why some people are always in hurry. Multiple signal jumping at Yemalur junction this afternoon.
I've noticed that it's typically the delivery guys jumping red lights. I think given that they spend all day in traffic (and time being money for them), they feel more compelled to do so.

Quote:
Yesterday, an overzealous cop in Kanyakumari almost beheaded a rider for not wearing a helmet.
Not sure what the whole story is, but...

That kind of action is crazy just for someone not wearing a helmet.

On the other hand, failing to stop when a cop tells you to is a much more serious offense, and you can't expect them to pussyfoot around once you've done this.

Irony is; if he was wearing a helmet, he could have avoided this injury in more ways than one
Rehaan is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 15:07   #9817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
On the other hand, failing to stop when a cop tells you to is a much more serious offense, and you can't expect them to pussyfoot around once you've done this.
Completely agree to this part. If this incident dissuades people from jumping signals or disobeying orders (they are orders not requests) from a traffic cop, then this video would have done its job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Irony is; if he was wearing a helmet, he could have avoided this injury in more ways than one
I have also found out that traffic cops on routine checks (for documents etc) put helmet using riders later on their priority list.
On numerous occasions I have chugged past them merrily at 10 to 20kmph, when they try hard to stop faster riders. I do wear a biker jacket as well; that helped them to shoo me away when I even tried to stop once.

Maybe they assume that if someone is trying to be careful about their life and limb, he/ she would be careful enough to keep all documents in place.
I don't mind being stopped but if we can save a few minutes here or there, why not?
selfdrive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 14:00   #9818
BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday, an overzealous cop in Kanyakumari almost beheaded a rider for not wearing a helmet...... The reaction of the bystanders was also caught on camera.
Apologies but I think other wise,
Who knows, what actually was going on there. Was it a routine traffic check or were the police looking for someone specific on a bike with pillion. The biker wanted to run away from the situation by not slowing down & this would have made the cops to suspect more. Hence the action.
As the video clearly indicates that cops from both sides walked up to the center (almost) of the road [probably to stop & fine him], the biker did not even slowed down. I am sure had he not been hit, he would have flaunted of this stunt for decades "for skipping the check post".
I do agree cops action was harsh, but had the biker slowed down he could have avoided it. He was clearly in an mood to make fun of the law; which he shouldn't have. Probably learned the hard way. I regularly see these incidence around Pune, bikers fleeing off Laughing loudly & some even mocking the cops by swerving & staring back at them.

The biker already has no respect for his own & pillions life, one by not wearing helmet & second doing such stunts on the road with a pillion. Then he has time to make the situation out of it. Should have stopped or I hope he has at least learned to stop for next check post, if at all he has not learned to wear a helmet.

Regards,
Saurabh
saurabh2711 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 11:31   #9819
BHPian

Wheels : 2
Deaf: Yes [wearing earphones]
Blind : Yes [no rear mirrors]
Retarded : Yes [no helmet]
Stylish : Yes [scarf wrapped around face]
Stupid : Yes [left overtaking on a curve]

Last edited by asingh1977 : 30th November 2017 at 11:36.
Old 30th November 2017, 11:34   #9820
BHPian

Riding with one hand holding an umbrella!
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-riding-umbrella.jpg

Cutting across 2 lanes when there not much traffic as well.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-cutting-two-lanes-when-there-no-need-.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th November 2017 at 14:35. Reason: Inserting pics in-line :)
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 12:42   #9821
Senior - BHPian

I was following a SUV today that had the luggage compartment full till the roof. Such that nothing could be seen in the IRVM

And the driver was using the rear wiper to clean the glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
Wheels : 2 ...
Stupid : Yes [left overtaking on a curve]
Looks like these morons do their best to work on getting more disabilities with their hostile and aggressive riding.
I saw today two riders using full sized headphones (not earphones). such sights may some day bring me to post on the road rage thread. I am out of frustrated emoticons to use.
selfdrive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 16:12   #9822
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I was following a SUV today that had the luggage compartment full till the roof. Such that nothing could be seen in the IRVM
If it can be physically put on or in the vehicle, it can be carried!

But, filling up the rear: I think this is something that is not such a terrible thing to do. Visibility is no worse than driving a van. I've done this for work, installing computers back in London.

I don't like to do it. I feel crippled without my rear-view mirror. And also terribly aware that, even in a minor accident or emergency stop, a PC to the back of the head might have been fatal.

Quote:
And the driver was using the rear wiper to clean the glass
Old 30th November 2017, 16:45   #9823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If it can be physically put on or in the vehicle, it can be carried!
I am assuming it was one of the controls that the driver was not aware that was switched on. But it was funny to watch; almost like cleaning the glass so that others can see clearly what is inside, and not the other way around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
And also terribly aware that, even in a minor accident or emergency stop, a PC to the back of the head might have been fatal
For the PC, I presume
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 17:50   #9824
BHPian

Not sure if this has been posted here before.

May be a bit exaggerated, but he is kind of bang-on on most of the points.

500ContyCruiser is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 00:08   #9825
BHPian

Today, en route form Bangalore to Chennai: The highway is divided by a median while it passes through Palamaner.

There was a big line of traffic going my way, in one single lane.

Along the side of the road, coming in the wrong direction, was a Maruti belonging to a driving school. That itself is nothing unusual; but this was one where there was an instructor in the shotgun seat, with one hand across and over the steering wheel, instructing a student driver sitting in the driver's seat.

The instructor was teaching the man how to drive while driving against traffic on a non-existent shoulder going the wrong way against a line of heavy traffic in a narrow and crowded street.

I challenge anone here to top that story

Cheers
tilt is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks