Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2017, 00:20   #9856
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Actually yield sign was present in Bangalore in the late 90's and early 2000's. I had seen them when going around town along with my dad. Dont recollect all the places but one I can recollect and probably still present is near Windsor Manor bridge going towards Kumara krupa road.
Happier days, I guess. At least so far as road discipline was concerned.
Old 17th December 2017, 04:43   #9857
BHPian

Can one be more shameless!?

harsh79 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 00:11   #9858
BHPian

I was on the way home from work and as I overtook a stationary bus I find this moron standing in the middle of the road with his motorbike, horizontally to me. My view was completely blocked by the motorcycles who were ahead of me, and they were waiting till the last minute to get out of the way. Thankfully I was able to steer out of it without any damage. Can't he atleast turn on the indicators or something? Who in their right mind stands in the middle of the road with the dark motorcycle like that? I have seen pedestrians do something like cross half the road and wait for the traffic to clear on the opposite lane and then cross, but doing that with a motorcycle? Seriously?

esoticoreventon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 05:13   #9859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post
Can one be more shameless!?
Unfortunately this is a war that can never be won. Block them, honk at them, shout at them, etc and they continue to do this like it's their birth right!!
The only thing that will possibly change their mindset is if they crash into trucks and buses a dozen times and then they get Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
BenjiRoss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 11:02   #9860
BHPian

This is from Cartoq, a crazy stunt tried by a biker.

Here is a video that shows how overtaking in the hills can be so dangerous and why one must be extra careful while riding/driving in hills that have blind corners.
In this video, we can see that a rider on a Royal Enfield Classic 350 is trying to overtake a Honda City. From the video we can make out that the City driver is driving at a good pace. The rider on the Classic 350 tries to overtake the City in a blind corner, and almost ends up hitting a bulldozer coming from the opposite side of the road. At the same time, the City driver seems to passing another motorcycle. With no space to overtake and finding an oncoming bulldozer at the last minute, the Classic 350 rider brakes hard, and just misses hitting the bulldozer.

http://www.cartoq.com/video-overtake...350-whos-fault

Mods : If this post is already available, kindly delete.
sparky@home is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 21:01   #9861
Distinguished - BHPian

He believes that turning on the turn lights gives him the right of way. He did not even look at the rear view mirror

Happily walking like it is his backyard

And this was on NH45. The biker with pillion on a new bike, too impatient to wait for oncoming vehicles to pass by.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 19th December 2017 at 21:13.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 01:37   #9862
Distinguished - BHPian

Bad pedestrians can be as bad as bad drivers. Those that walk in front of a vehicle without even considering if it is physically possible for it to stop will not live long.

However, we can often do one thing to help them extend their lives: where possible, aim to pass behind them, and at a safe distance.

Did I mention my dad's question to me, as a young learner, "When does a pedestrian have right of way?"

(Erm, yes, although not more than a dozen times. But I'll tell it again if anyone wants)
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 16:21   #9863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
He believes that turning on the turn lights gives him the right of way. He did not even look at the rear view mirror
The first video reminds me of a doubt I have been having for quite sometime. If you have a chance to overtake a blinking Ambulance (assume it is an open, no traffic road) and speed away from it's path, should you do so, or follow patiently behind it until your paths divide?
In the past, atleast when i used to ride a bike, I have often overtaken an blinking, siren wailing ambulance as i knew i would be faster and would have gone far ahead or turned off to a side lane way before the ambulance comes near. After switching to cars, i find myself more reluctant to do any similar move and would typically follow the ambulance and find an alternate lane to take, in case i am in a hurry. But the doubt has remained.
DriverR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 16:29   #9864
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
But the doubt has remained.
Inside urban and rural areas, I refrain from overtaking ambulances (unless they are very slow).

On expressways, 100% of the times, I overtake the blinking ambulances as they do a maximum(mostly) of 80-90 kmph. On our motorcycles (>200 cc) and in all cars, that speed is easily achievable with more punch remaining.

As long as we dont pose an obstruction to the ambulance, i guess it shouldnt be an issue.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 17:09   #9865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Inside urban and rural areas, I refrain from overtaking ambulances (unless they are very slow).

On expressways, 100% of the times, I overtake the blinking ambulances as they do a maximum(mostly) of 80-90 kmph. On our motorcycles (>200 cc) and in all cars, that speed is easily achievable with more punch remaining.

As long as we dont pose an obstruction to the ambulance, i guess it shouldnt be an issue.
When driving a car, I would prefer to be behind the Ambulance, as overtaking it and speeding away is ok, but by chance if we are delayed by any reason, we may become responsible for whatever happens. So I think precaution is advisable.
sparky@home is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 17:38   #9866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
The first video reminds me of a doubt I have been having for quite sometime. If you have a chance to overtake a blinking Ambulance (assume it is an open, no traffic road) and speed away from it's path, should you do so, or follow patiently behind it until your paths divide?
In the past, atleast when i used to ride a bike, I have often overtaken an blinking, siren wailing ambulance as i knew i would be faster and would have gone far ahead or turned off to a side lane way before the ambulance comes near. After switching to cars, i find myself more reluctant to do any similar move and would typically follow the ambulance and find an alternate lane to take, in case i am in a hurry. But the doubt has remained.
Whenever I see an ambulance (or a fire engine/ police car) with sirens blazing, I tend to give a wide berth irrespective of if I drive/ride for two reasons

1. They may need to speed up, cut across lanes for getting to their destination faster.
2. I don't want to end up getting my vehicle damaged by the morons who tag behind it for managing to get out of traffic.

Emergency vehicle drivers would already be in stress for obvious reasons. I would want to reduce one more worry for them by steering clear and providing them a clear path.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 21:48   #9867
Distinguished - BHPian

Another set from today:

He is on the phone, in the middle of the road!

The signal is still red, but people start moving, I had to move a little forward to avoid hasty bullies rear ending me

The signal is green for my side, the cop waves red light at the opposite traffic, but still, two bikers jump the signal

PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2017, 00:28   #9868
BHPian

This one had a few 'choice words' for not letting him through, when asked what his problem was, says "come I'll tell you".

harsh79 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th December 2017, 15:30   #9869
BHPian

Lulu mall parking today morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1514109589847.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1514109603063.jpg  

GeneralJazz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2017, 11:39   #9870
BHPian

Bad riding on 3 counts, at least!

1. Not wearing a helmet
2. Peeping to overtake a bus on a narrow bridge that has a no overtaking boards
3. Defaced number plate

Here are 2 bikers, one texting just before a corner and another talking on the phone in a narrow stretch.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-peeping-overtake-bus-bridge-no-number-plate-no-helmet.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-texting-while-riiding-around-corner.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-talking-phone-while-riding-narrow-stretch.jpg  

Last edited by swissknife : 27th December 2017 at 11:50.
swissknife is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks