Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2018, 10:41   #10051
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo_romeo View Post
This happened today when I was returning back to Bengaluru in my office car from Pune (Long drive had already taken a toll on my patience) when I met with this Alto guy on a very narrow flyover

Use of an unauthorized siren is punishable offence even for pilots

Patience, my child, patience!
Firstly, I don't see much wrong with the way the Alto was driving, except for straddling lanes - either because he was being pig-headed and was blocking you off, or because he was indecisive. Add to that the fact that the Alto was going faster than all other traffic on that road. Did you really have to overtake that car? In your place, I would probably have been content tailing him. He was anyway the fastest car on that stretch ...

As people have said earlier, you must adjust both your attitude and driving style when you enter city limits after driving on the highway. The two are totally different environments.
KiloAlpha is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 10:55   #10052
Senior - BHPian

Sometimes it is good for a pilot car to also be piloted for a change
Relax and let the other guy do all the hard work for you.

I think the alto driver just got scared with the flashing of lights. Occasionally, people will try to be stubborn and block the route just because a bigger car wants to bully across. There is no right of way here, so as mentioned by KiloAlpha you would be better served by following him instead of overtaking. With the small footprint and the speeds he was doing, he would have likely overtaken you very soon anyway.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 11:46   #10053
Senior - BHPian

Re: Road rage confession

Hi,

Reading all experiences shared on this thread reminds me of one incident that happened with me 2 years back.

I'm 20 now and when this incident (realisation) took place, I used to ride an Activa and had this bad habit of filtering through moving traffic everytime on the road. At that time, this ability to maneouver between cars, trucks, tractors (and what not!) gave some sort of mental achievement of passing through traffic-hit areas in a matter of minutes.

It took me three months to realise how wrong I was! One fine day, I was zigzagging through traffic and was riding on the extreme right of a road (with divider). There was an Alto which was moving side-by-side for some time and, possibly frustrated by my actions, the driver slowly started inching towards the divider and stopped the car when my scooter was about to scrape his car. There, he gave me an angry stare and a sound hearing to ride "properly" on public roads.

I couldn't say anything (apologetic) as he was on his way in no time. I had realised my mistake but, like all of us in our early days, I learnt it after yet another incident when I was going somewhere in my friend's car. Seated on the co-driver side, I could see a biker negotiating dense traffic seamlessly and thought in my mind "this is exactly how I ride" as he hurried past us merely inches away from hitting our car's doors (ORVM was much higher being an Innova). 100 metres ahead, what I saw was horrifying!

As we moved ahead, I saw the lane to our left was not moving and what had happened was - the biker hit some car moving on his right, flipped, hit his (helmetless) head on the tyre of a truck moving on his left, his bike was completely crushed after ending up under the truck's tyre, he was bleeding and barely able to stand up The site was horrible and had a deep impact in my mind.

Since then, I have stopped filtering through traffic. I realised that the risk is too high. Even in open roads, I avoid staying on the middle/right lanes for longer durations and move to the leftmost lane as soon as possible. Riding on the leftmost lane filled with two-wheelers might tire you out in no time but is a lot more safe than riding alongside (or in between) cars. In case of the latter, your life totally depends on other drivers more than your own skill as there is little to control once things get out of hand. Lesson learnt, and how!

In a few weeks from that incident, I also got steel guards removed from the Activa. They give a false sense of safety and removing them made me more conscious about the surroundings as I started to "look out" for potential road users that might hit me. And any minor hit/scrape would mean damage, which was not the case earlier and that sort of fueled up carefree riding. Now I ride an R15 and seldom do filtering even in crawling traffic because of its wide RVMs which cost 700 bucks for a pair.
self_driven is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 12:13   #10054
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This time I am not editing the audio as that's the crucial part of it.
I think this video is better suited to the other thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ession-34.html
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 13:17   #10055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After numerous attempts to overtake finally had to resort to siren where the Alto driver lost all his senses. The guy was driving his car all over the flyover and had no idea what hand signal he is giving.
This driving style is very common in Bangalore. Very good example is on the Silkboard to Electronic city flyover. That is exactly as this flyover in the video (2+2 lane road with high speed limit, 80KMPH). Many slow moving (relatively) vehicles try to move to left lane when you honk/flash behind them but somehow are afraid of the flyover sidewall and avoid getting into the left lane completely. It is frustrating for followers but one has no choice, we have to follow that person. Having him cutting across two lanes is better than him going into the sidewall on his left or coming on us in right lane. Patience is the only word here
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 14:03   #10056
Senior - BHPian

There is nothing wrong in the way the Alto is being driven. Appears to be pretty normal with very minor deviations.

There are a LOT of errors being done by the team Bhp member. If at all, the video serves to highlight the errors of the team Bhp member and not that of the Alto driver.
AMG Power is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 19:21   #10057

Quote:
This time I am not editing the audio as that's the crucial part of it.
This happened today when I was returning back to Bengaluru in my office car from Pune (Long drive had already taken a toll on my patience) when I met with this
Alto guy on a very narrow flyover, who had also written Indian Airforce on his rear windshield (Though he didn't look like an Airman, maybe a distant cousin of a serving officer). After numerous attempts to overtake finally had to resort to siren where the Alto driver lost all his senses. The guy was driving his car all over the flyover and had no idea what hand signal he is giving.

Use of an unauthorized siren is punishable offence even for pilots

This was the first time I drove such a long distance in one stretch, Left Pune at 10.30 AM, found most of the highway empty.I should have shown a little more maturity looking at the way the Alto driver was driving, Maybe the urgency to reach before 8 (which I actually did or else my Sunday would have ended up another working day).

Lessons learned-
1. Just because you have authority, don't expect people to obey you.
2. Drive more carefully at home stretch.
3. Need to work on Patience.
4. Take a break before entering traffic.

I was bashed at my office too for driving rashly, I had a reputation for being the most defensive driver.

Last edited by bblost : 9th April 2018 at 21:31. Reason: Removed embedded video from quoted section of the post.
bravo_romeo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 20:56   #10058
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. Just because you have authority, don't expect people to obey you.
This is a loaded one. Do you mind elaborating on this?
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 21:03   #10059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
This is a loaded one. Do you mind elaborating on this?
He has, sort of, answered it here previously.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4373032
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 21:33   #10060
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
He has, sort of, answered it here previously.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4373032
Not really. What I see is a repetitive pattern of abuse of power. I'm in government service as well, so I know how often the facilities given are used correctly, or otherwise. And that video couldn't have been from official duty, else it wouldn't be here.
Anyway, I think on my part it's just misplaced "peeved-offishness". So I'll just go quietly.
mayankk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 23:10   #10061

The video has been taken down as channel belongs to my friend, who got notice from office for uploading this video.
Old 12th April 2018, 00:48   #10062
BHPian

Almost midnight, empty roads and many idiots ripping their cars either under the influence or just pumping adrenaline. The specimen in the above video barely missed being posted to the accidents thread.

I just merged into the right most lane to take a U turn, now during the habitual glance into the ORVM I see this Mitsubishi Outlander flying from the same service lane I came from and he did not slow down even a bit. I doubted for a second if he did not notice my right indicator that I had turned on much before the U-turn.

Now barely 20 meters behind me he flicks on his right indicator, moves aggressively to the middle lane and just takes a blind U-turn while I was waiting for the Xcent I had seen to pass. By the time I completed my turn he had already half vanished with the Xcent cabbie trying in vain to catch him.

I hope he realises his driving style is rubbish before he makes a mess of a pretty rare car.

EDIT: FYI this happened in GN Chetty road.

Last edited by Shanksta : 12th April 2018 at 00:51.
Shanksta is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 09:00   #10063
BHPian

Biker decides to give me a scare. No helmets, No RVM's. And gives me the look when I was crossing them since I had honked at them and braked hard to save their lives
get2bid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 19:01   #10064
BANNED

Didn't understand where to put this one, hence putting it here, how a 'babuji' in UP had an aam aadmi travelling on the bonnet of his car for 4 kilometers:

Quote:
At this point, tired of waiting in the heat all day, a few of the protesters got angry and blocked his car, thereby disallowing him from leaving. He honked a dozen times and even tried to edge his way out. At this point, an irate villager, Brij Pal, jumped on to the bonnet of the official's car. This angered the official, who suddenly pressed the accelerator.

A few other protesters were quick to jump out of the way, but Brij Pal found himself hanging on the the bonnet as the car sped out of the office block.

So angry was Pankaj Kumar Gautam with Brij Pal for jumping on his car, that he decided not to stop and let Brij Pal step down outside the office. Instead, in a fit of rage, he drove the vehicle for four kilometres while Brij Pal held on.

At some point during his misadventure Mr Gautam realised his actions could get him in trouble, so he made a video of Brij Pal hanging on to the bonnet of his car and decided to file a police complaint against him. Brij Pal too was seen making a few phone calls, perhaps to the police. When Brij Pal finally got a chance to get off four kilometres later, he warned the official and decided that he will not let the Block Development Officer get away with this serious offence.
http://www.ndtv.com/cities/man-hangi...akamai-rum=off

Last edited by VKumar : 13th April 2018 at 19:03.
VKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2018, 13:35   #10065
BHPian

These autorickshaws are such a pain, speeding in and out of the entry to Belapur railway station, and in Navi Mumbai and old Mumbai in general. Somehow I didn't notice them doing this to me when I was driving a Qualis for 14 years. Maybe they're super confident a sedan owner will always give them the right of way!

Last edited by FarPatel : 14th April 2018 at 13:40.
FarPatel is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks