Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2018, 15:06   #10066
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarPatel View Post
These autorickshaws are such a pain, speeding in and out of the entry to Belapur railway station, and in Navi Mumbai and old Mumbai in general. Somehow I didn't notice them doing this to me when I was driving a Qualis for 14 years. Maybe they're super confident a sedan owner will always give them the right of way!
Most of the railway stations have an entry route and an exit route pretty well set up. This helps the traffic to flow smoothly in and out of the station.

Are you sure you are not going the wrong direction? Except for the lone auto at the start, all the vehicles are entering the station through the route taken by you. Even the cars parked on either side of the road are facing towards you, which gives credence to the fact that this might be a (unplanned) one way entry. And at the point where you join the main road, I believe there is a exit on your right coming from the parking/station; I believe that might the route to exit. All the vehicles entering the station (coming against your direction) are just following that order.

I might be wrong, but I'd would put my money on you wrongly exiting the parking area going against the traffic flow, rather than the autos at fault.

Last edited by theMAG : 16th April 2018 at 21:38. Reason: Trimming quoted content for readability.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2018, 13:36   #10067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Most of the railway stations have an entry route and an exit route pretty well set up. This helps the traffic to flow smoothly in and out of the station.

Are you sure you are not going the wrong direction? Except for the lone auto at the start, all the vehicles are entering the station through the route taken by you. Even the cars parked on either side of the road are facing towards you, which gives credence to the fact that this might be a (unplanned) one way entry. And at the point where you join the main road, I believe there is a exit on your right coming from the parking/station; I believe that might the route to exit. All the vehicles entering the station (coming against your direction) are just following that order.

I might be wrong, but I'd would put my money on you wrongly exiting the parking area going against the traffic flow, rather than the autos at fault.
My dear Ninja, you have destroyed my reputation of being a good and law-abiding driver for the past 40 years! I have been using this entry/exit for the past 12 years and this route I took is a two-way passage. And as you rightly noticed, the road bifurcates just after the main entry and the other road too is a two-way route. All those cars you see parked facing me are just parked there, to avoid paying parking charges in the actual carpark. They are probably illegally parked and create more problems as they encroach upon the suddenly narrowing road at the right angle bend just after my shout.
Cheers.
FarPatel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2018, 14:43   #10068
BHPian

Another small clip from my commute. Now a days, I get a feeling that my dash cam catches more traffic violators than cops. People these days don't have a teeny bit of concern for their own safety.
Pferdestarke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2018, 18:18   #10069
BHPian

How can someone put three kids at risk? Not bothering about one's own safety is one thing, but three kids?
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1523882808352.jpg  

Old 16th April 2018, 23:12   #10070
Senior - BHPian

I am in India for a few days and drove today for the first time during this trip. Spotted two bad drivers:

1. An Innova was in front of me. There were a few slow-moving vehicles in front of him. I was waiting patiently behind the Innova (no honking, no flashing lights). Then we came to a flyover with 3 lanes and both of us cleared the slow-moving traffic. I then proceeded to overtake the Innova, when for no reason, he tried to push me to the wall on the curve in the flyover (I was on the inside part of the curve, so it wasn't understeer). I honked, but he kept coming. I backed out. I did overtake him shortly afterwards and he didn't try to block again. So I'm not sure if the first block was intentional or just a case of trying to change lanes without looking.

2. Just after the exit of the flyover, a bus guy decided to take a left from the rightmost lane, causing everyone coming down the exit ramp to brake hard. Thankfully, no body rear-ended anybody.
Old 17th April 2018, 20:44   #10071

So I was returning to Bengaluru and it was pouring heavily, Visibility was next to nil.
On Mysore road, roadblocks are a common sight to curb the speeding vehicles near an intersection.
After one such intersection, I saw one vehicle coming from opposite direction in the left with high beam, we were discussing him. then, I saw headlight opposite to me. Being on 4 lane road, at first I thought it must be from opposite lane, It was later when he started flashing his beams, I realised he is right opposite to me.

I am still wondering, what was he thinking before pulling this stunt in such adverse road conditions?
bravo_romeo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 11:45   #10072
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's a bad Innova driver I encountered yesterday on the NICE road Bhannerughatta road exit.

I can also put it in the Your near-miss experiences on the road thread. If my speed was even a little bit higher, things would've been different.

You can see in the rear cam video that he knew about the exit(see the indicators) but still he decided to overtake me and then exit in front of me

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 18th April 2018 at 11:54.
hemanth.anand is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 12:18   #10073
BHPian

I had a run in with this congenital idiot on a bike, I wonder what he was thinking. The only thing is that I can drive safe and hope for the best, these morons are dime a dozen, and drive everything.

sparky@home is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 13:25   #10074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Here's a bad Innova driver I encountered yesterday on the NICE road Bhannerughatta road exit. ...
The Innova driver would've written:
I encountered this stupid guy who was giving me a startled look as I took the exit - I had my indicators on well before the exit, and being the law-abiding driver I am, I tried not to confuse him, by maintaining my speed and also overtook him from his right side. Why would anyone stick to the left-most lane if they don't intend to overtake or keep going straight? After all, the right lane is for slow-moving vehicles and I was faster than all, so I was on the left-most lane.
silversteed is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 14:52   #10075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo_romeo View Post
So I was returning to Bengaluru and it was pouring heavily, Visibility was next to nil.
Being on 4 lane road, at first I thought it must be from opposite lane, It was later when he started flashing his beams, I realised he is right opposite to me.
On the very same evening (date & time) I was driving on the parallel road (via Bannur-Malavalli-Kanakapura). Between Mysore & Bannur it was raining real heavy, with thunder & lightning. It was like driving in a war field. The visibility was very poor, and these kind of barricades were placed there as well. I just drove dead slow on the road (which is not a two lane highway with a divider).
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 15:04   #10076
Distinguished - BHPian

Taking liberties with your quote...
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
The Ignorant and arrogant Innova driver would've written ...
My words added in bold
As they say on the internet: There, fixed that for you

There is no excuse for overtaking and cutting across, whether it is on left to turn right, or on right to turn left. The correct action is to simply not overtake and take the turn.

What was in the driver's mind, of course, we can't know. Maybe he was ignorant, arrogant or both. There is some kind of mind set, where the mind literally becomes set, like an auto-pilot or cruise control, and the driver is absolutely unwilling, even mentally unable, to change (especially reduce) speed even for one moment to take account of other traffic.

It is possible that this guy actually believed he was doing the right thing. But that is still ignorance. And, ok, this is just a personal, probably biased, observation, but --- isn't it most often the larger vehicles that are driven like this? (Oh, apart from 2-wheelers, of course.)
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 15:24   #10077

Even I was considering that road to avoid traffic, got the update regarding rain, so changed my plan.
Old 18th April 2018, 16:03   #10078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Taking liberties with your quote...
Okay, I get it, it was a failed attempt at sarcasm

The way the Innova was driven, deplorable. Only saving grace was the indicators, but that doesn't give the driver the right to cut off another vehicle. For that individual, it's life as usual. For real law-abiding drivers, a near-miss and a post here in this thread.

Last edited by silversteed : 18th April 2018 at 16:06.
silversteed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 16:34   #10079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Okay, I get it, it was a failed attempt at sarcasm

The way the Innova was driven, deplorable. Only saving grace was the indicators, but that doesn't give the driver the right to cut off another vehicle. For that individual, it's life as usual. For real law-abiding drivers, a near-miss and a post here in this thread.
Heh Heh! Thankfully my sarcasm meter detected it

Keep at it.

The biker in one of the videos posted above is a classic example of driving these days. Missing the forest for the trees! Or was it the other way around?

Be happy he didn't flash his headlights at you.
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 17:20   #10080
BHPian

Quote:
Maybe he was ignorant, arrogant or both.
Well, they tend to co-exist sir. I'd like to quote a relevant saying here "with great ignorance comes great confidence" and overconfidence is the mother of arrogance!

Quote:
There is some kind of mind set, where the mind literally becomes set, like an auto-pilot or cruise control, and the driver is absolutely unwilling, even mentally unable, to change (especially reduce) speed even for one moment to take account of other traffic.
You're spot on sir! This special quality called 'defiance' has been strongly latched onto their minds. Such sloppy moves need to condemned at once, which is largely possible through competent patrol forces. Just my 2 cents!
Pferdestarke is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed