Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2018, 05:58   #10141
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
The other day I was driving back from the airport, and was going a bit too fast frankly (the road was empty and was safe to do so) and at one of the openings, I saw these 2 cabs enter, as I was descending the flyover, I slowed down a bit and honked loudly, expecting at least one of them to stupidly come right across the road into the rightmost lane as there was a truck in the middle lane. And he did just as I expected. Even after honking and flashing continuously for almost a 100 metres!
But I guess he realized his mistake and accelerated as hard as he could and then sheepishly went back to the left.
With all due respect, if there has to be fault finding done, you would be the driver at fault.

1. Clearly you are over speeding. Relatively not a single vehicle is even close to your speed as you come flying down or even after overtaking all the vehicles
2. Both the cars are correctly overtaking a slow moving truck from the (correct) right side lane with no following traffic. One of them even has his indicators on for the same. Note - there is no traffic behind them to obstruct the overtaking
3. They are actually using the right lane the appropriate way - to overtake slower vehicles and get back to the center lane once done
4. You braked well in advance - credit to you for that. But honking and flashing expecting the lane to be made clear is not the correct expectation

Last edited by ninjatalli : 21st May 2018 at 06:03.
ninjatalli is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 06:35   #10142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
With all due respect, if there has to be fault finding done, you would be the driver at fault.
Yes, I do admit I was going fast, but I expected them to wait for me to pass only because they had just merged onto the highway. That's probably not visible because of the clarity of the video I think.

And as is clear from the video, I started honking and flashing quite early and if I was in the Sunny driver's shoes, I would've seen that and let the car go, considering I've just joined the highway.

Anyway, I've also added that he probably did realise his mistake and quickly finished his overtake and let me pass, so that was good on his part. But yeah, I should've been a bit slower.
Rohan24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 09:58   #10143
BHPian

Please watch this review of Ford Freestyle. He is driving rashly on the highway putting the lives of other people and his fellow passengers in danger. Skip to 7:50 for some off-roading antics. He claims to hit 160 kmph during his "test" drive. He should be driving on a race track

Last edited by jayantvs : 21st May 2018 at 10:02. Reason: name correction
jayantvs is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 10:14   #10144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayantvs View Post
Please watch this review of Ford Freestyle. He is driving rashly on the highway putting the lives of other people and his fellow passengers in danger. Skip to 7:50 for some off-roading antics. He claims to hit 160 kmph during his "test" drive. He should be driving on a race track

Welcome to the new age of showing off. That chap does not know how to hold a steering wheel, trying to make a frank review by driving as shitty as possible. Who even gave him a test drive car for that? Forget steering, he doesnt even know how one enters a highway. Instead of looking at the approaching traffic from the right side, he makes a quick glance, turns towards the left, speaks for a while and just enters the highway like it was all empty.

A scroll down the comments shows the most shocking thing - many are appreciating his style. God bless the country if diseases like these spread all over the internet.

Last edited by audioholic : 21st May 2018 at 10:32.
audioholic is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 10:25   #10145
Distinguished - BHPian

^ and glad he forgets to emphasize on the stability aspect of the car all through his review.

After all, even that unbelted rear seat passenger sitting in the center of that rear bench and taking the video from his phone camera has managed to remain stable (along with the stable recording) .

Talk about these video loggers, have had enough of it off late that I get so many as recommendations each time I am on YouTube .

And just notice how frustrated the reviewer is around 5:20 and beyond. He just wants to cut through that traffic like he is transporting a patient in an ambulance.
paragsachania is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 10:54   #10146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Came across this video on YouTube today. This happened in Kakinada, Andhra Pradesh. The culprit, who's a B.Tech student was allegedly drunk and was speeding. When stopped by cops, he had hit the barricade and ran over a cop and finally was caught after a brief pursuit. How dim-witted could he be to do that?
That's what alcohol does. He is going to be in a world of pain now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
Oh this is such a nuisance everywhere, but especially on the Airport road, which is otherwise quite a smooth drive. One has to be wary of these merging cars (cabs, personal vehicles, TTs, the whole lot!) at every opening. It's quite annoying when you are doing good speeds and have to slow down considerably because these imbeciles will not glance behind to check!
I make sure I'm in the rightmost lane at this particular point, because there's always someone merging with utter disregard to fast moving traffic.

This guy at least just came into the middle lane. The other day I was driving back from the airport, and was going a bit too fast frankly (the road was empty and was safe to do so) and at one of the openings, I saw these 2 cabs enter, as I was descending the flyover, I slowed down a bit and honked loudly, expecting at least one of them to stupidly come right across the road into the rightmost lane as there was a truck in the middle lane. And he did just as I expected. Even after honking and flashing continuously for almost a 100 metres!
But I guess he realized his mistake and accelerated as hard as he could and then sheepishly went back to the left.
You would be someone i would hate to see in the rearview mirror on the road. Honking and Flashing for 100meters? Cool down and let the world be. If you were doing speeds within speed limit then the two cars in question would not even have bothered you.

Last edited by deathwalkr : 21st May 2018 at 10:56.
deathwalkr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 11:05   #10147
BANNED

Quote:
Please watch this review of Ford Freestyle.
Okay, so we have a guy in the video trying really very hard to prove that he knows how to test a car and he is really working hard towards it, the video showed an ad too - okay, he wants to make some money too out of every single view.

He defines things as 'sexy', 'ghaint' etc - Punjabi guys will easily get the second word. I won't doubt his way of catching the steering wheel, because I also rest my hand on right hand side spoke at times, especially when I have to blow horn and steer at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Who even gave him a test drive car for that?
I have a firm belief that Ford should issue a circular for dealers to use the For My-Key of all such cars and limit the top speed at 100 kph, that way they will be able to display how wonderful a feature the 'my key' is and such idiots will also be contained at the same time. I have always believed that dealers should make it a practice of sternly telling people to 'test' the car like they drive normally and like they drive their own cars - that way one actually get to know what the car actually is.

Quote:
he makes a quick glance, turns towards the left, speaks for a while and just enters the highway like it was all empty.
He indicates and changes the lane, what about the most crucial part? There is the second part which most of us have made our habit now - Indicate - Look into ORVM - Confirm if its safe and clear - Change the lane.

What he did was, indicate - change the lane and that also using very tight maneuvers and zig zagging.

Quote:
A scroll down the comments shows the most shocking thing - many are appreciating his style. God bless the country if diseases like these spread all over the internet.
Agree, there is one person who said "I will complain in Ford" and people are telling him in comments that how this guy is a wonderful drivers and he should understand that his guy has got the right set of skills - and hence he can do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
And just notice how frustrated the reviewer is around 5:20 and beyond. He just wants to cut through that traffic like he is transporting a patient in an ambulance.
Worst part is the way he is switching lanes, doing 120-130-140 on a 4 lane crowded stretch with cars on his right and motorcycles on his left. The idiot isn't even thinking that motorcyclists at times easily make a displacement of 6-7 inches from their way even while going straight, especially when they are slow moving. While enthusiasts should actually spread the awareness, these guys are promoting recklessness - IMO such videos clearly promote that the car can be driven this way too and still come out alive.

Biggest issue is that, initially such people are not stopped, but are instead praised for the way they are doing such idiocy. On the later stages, they start gaining more confidence and start thinking that they have got the right set of skills - then they start not just going rash, but deadly!

Then comes the d day when their friends say "he was a wonderful driver, maybe the other person (the real victim) committed a mistake and he had to suffer".

Last edited by VKumar : 21st May 2018 at 11:09.
VKumar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 11:41   #10148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post

You would be someone i would hate to see in the rearview mirror on the road. Honking and Flashing for 100meters? Cool down and let the world be. If you were doing speeds within speed limit then the two cars in question would not even have bothered you.
Yes I agree with you, but actually I slowed down early enough and therefore he didn't really bother me too much. I already admitted I was too fast. What I'm talking about here is the courtesy to let another car pass. Moreover, he didn't indicate as well, I anticipated that he'll move to the right lane.

If I don't honk and flash here, and slow down of my own accord, in that situation he has all the freedom to pass. And I would've actually done that, if he was on the highway and had indicated, but the fact that he's just merged, means he needs to wait for any car that's coming from behind to pass, unless they're slower than him.
Just what I feel, leaving aside the speed aspect.
Old 21st May 2018, 12:20   #10149
BHPian

Quote:
This is a new trend now, there is this person Mr. Faizal from a car website/magazine who reviews bikes/cars and often he exceeds speed limits in the name of testing. To his credit, he generally does this on fairly empty roads but people like him who have huge number of followers doing this will only encourage his viewers from doing the same.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 21st May 2018 at 12:21.
Yieldway17 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 14:58   #10150
BHPian

This happened on the Sriperumbudur Chennai toll gate. We were driving towards chennai and there was a huge jam at the toll gate on the opposite. So what do people do, they create an entirely new lane on the opposite side of the road causing huge traffic jams on this side also.
The most disturbing thing is that all of them were driving as if they had the right of the way. Managed to capture a couple of images on my phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_20180512_172545.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_20180512_172539.jpg  

RedHerring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 17:40   #10151
Senior - BHPian

That is more or less the Indian way of things. If there is a gap, fill it. Whether it be on public transport, or standing in a queue or driving on the road, the logic is insanely widespread :(
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 17:45   #10152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
This is a new trend now, there is this person Mr. Faizal from a car website/magazine who reviews bikes/cars and often he exceeds speed limits in the name of testing.
Like you have mentioned, Mr Faisal's videos came to my mind when I saw the video posted by BHPian Jayan. I do watch some of his reviews, but that's definitely not the way to drive. Check his videos and see how he speeds through traffic lights doing triple digit speeds, wheel spins, brake checks and what not.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th May 2018 at 08:10. Reason: Video depicts driving at illegal speeds. Deleted.
naveen.raju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 17:49   #10153
Senior - BHPian

Regardless of negative publicity at the end of the day, this is probably benefitting those guys too. It is almost like watching dhinchak videos to see how bad they are.

I would stay away from watching such videos; to each their own.
PS: I am not defending any of the actions/ stunts performed in the video. Only saying that I would not increase the click count for them.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th May 2018 at 08:14. Reason: Previous post edited accordingly
selfdrive is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 18:00   #10154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Check his videos and see how he speeds through traffic lights doing triple digit speeds, wheel spins, brake checks and what not.
It is this what not that amuses me actually. To be honest, I become a bad listener and hence a bad talker whenever I am driving because most of the times my attention is focused on things ahead and this dude is even reviewing at such speeds on public roads .
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 18:09   #10155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Check his videos and see how he speeds through traffic lights doing triple digit speeds, wheel spins, brake checks and what not.

Yes, this exact video was the one I immediately remembered too. And note the always-on high beam too. This person is the antithesis of a good driver but somehow he is an auto journalist/reviewer followed by many.
Yieldway17 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks