Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2018, 17:17   #10231
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
I had a run in with a Bus today on the way back home. This bus driver was blatantly coming on my track, I decided to block his smooth passage.
Great job sparky. I have seen this bus several times. The buses on this route are absolutely ruthless and try to bully you all the time. They always tail gate you and try to push you off the road fully knowing there is no way they can overtake due to oncoming traffic. I do everything in my power and never let them pass or bully me off the road. They always have their headlights on and drive like they are driving an ambulance. It's really high time something is done about it. They are the main cause of accidents and traffic jams on the Kuthiran stretch.
Old 21st July 2018, 17:46   #10232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
I had a run in with a Bus today on the way back home. This bus driver was blatantly coming on my track, I decided to block his smooth passage. I stopped and he was forced to stop and I observed that he was making gestures (pleading) to let him go. I decided against that, as he would get in to the lane ahead by bull dozing his way. On reaching home, I send the photograph on the whatsapp number of the district police chief. They replied promptly that they have forwarded the message to the city traffic police for necessary action, which I hope does something good. When I had stopped the bus, I saw many cars giving me the thumbs up from the other side for having stopped this joker, In fact one person disembarked and came and asked me not to let the bus thru.
Great job. What happened finally? Did he reverse and get back into his lane?
Old 21st July 2018, 18:53   #10233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Great job. What happened finally? Did he reverse and get back into his lane?
The car on my left were not letting him turn to his right, but as usual one idiot who was the “ mister nice guy” stops and lets him turn. And there is a small road leading out, which he used to exit. Now I am wondering what the Traffic fellows will do. I see every day in the papers, action being taken swiftly against erring drivers, most of it results in the driving licence being cancelled.
Old 21st July 2018, 19:25   #10234
BHPian

Near Mallya Hospital - just after midnight - The vehicle dashes into the police barricade and speeds off. The auto makes an evasive manoeuvre and is saved by a whisker.

I had no doubt in my mind about the direction he was headed the moment he overtook me, and I released my foot off the accelerator.

The constables were shocked too, I believe, as you can see them behind the barricade on the LHS, looking at the car as it sped away.

One can see sparks flying off at the moment of impact.

Last edited by Safety is Param : 21st July 2018 at 19:30.
Safety is Param is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2018, 02:42   #10235
BHPian

Some nerve...@@

harsh79 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2018, 20:02   #10236
GwD
BHPian

With the rapid proliferation of app cabs, it appears that most of these drivers think of themselves as 'fast and furious'. In Kolkata, the present norm is flashing headlamps without rhyme or reason. This is specially seen on lanes within residential neighbourhoods.

Lets say that there are two cars parked on opposite sides of the lane with space for only a single vehicle to pass through on the middle of the road. As I approach the point I see the oncoming driver flash his lights even when it is clear that I will reach the constriction well before he comes anywhere close. In that case either I have to brake fast and stop, or keep going knowing that I will pass the narrow point before he comes near. These are bad drivers who haven't heard the concept of giving way, or have any sense of driving manners. They believe that their job is to flash the headlamps and the others will lay on the red carpet for them.

This behaviour is on the rise in Kolkata and it is best to practise defensive driving with such maniacs around.
Old 25th July 2018, 12:36   #10237
Senior - BHPian

One of my fears when driving is people who overtake rashly.

1. On a highway with no medium this is scary - as seen in this Tempo Traveller who made my heart skip a beat. Thankfully I could brake smoothly and veer a little without getting off the road.

2. Same thing with hill driving. I saw this omni rushing in my mirror and knew what he would do even though there was a curve and so gave him enough space to get back on the correct side. I continued to enjoy the scenery while he continued to try and save 3 minutes of his day and probably missed the scenery!
BenjiRoss is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th July 2018, 16:01   #10238
BHPian

Few fuel saving champions -

jpcoolguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 15:50   #10239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwD View Post
This behaviour is on the rise in Kolkata and it is best to practise defensive driving with such maniacs around.
I normally yield to such people who are at best a nuisance, and at worst, a danger to themselves and others.
With the licensing system being a sick joke, would be unfair to assume that these app cab drivers have had any training, let alone proper training.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 16:33   #10240
BHPian

I am sure this will qualify for "bad drivers". This moron decided to hit the right side and within a few seconds of taking this picture, he was successful in creating a pileup.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad-drivers.jpg  

sumathindra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 18:57   #10241
BHPian

This is one of my pet-peeves, and I consider people who drive/ride their cars/bikes this way as bad drivers ! (hope this issue is not already brought to attention by fellow BHPians in this post!)

Scenario: Taking turns from main roads to sub roads, drivers instead of taking a wide trajectory take the easy shortcut and cut across the road hampering the oncoming traffic from other side.

Have made a crude drawing of the above scenario. Firmly believe the riders should take the green path shown and not inconvenience others by following the red one!
Attached Images

KrisTvpm is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 21:32   #10242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisTvpm View Post
This is one of my pet-peeves, and I consider people who drive/ride their cars/bikes this way as bad drivers ! (hope this issue is not already brought to attention by fellow BHPians in this post!)

Scenario: Taking turns from main roads to sub roads, drivers instead of taking a wide trajectory take the easy shortcut and cut across the road hampering the oncoming traffic from other side.

Have made a crude drawing of the above scenario. Firmly believe the riders should take the green path shown and not inconvenience others by following the red one!
I see that you are from Trivandrum from your handle. You have exactly described the style of driving in Trivandrum I've not driven much in other cities, so cannot comment
Old 26th July 2018, 22:00   #10243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthns View Post
I see that you are from Trivandrum from your handle. You have exactly described the style of driving in Trivandrum I've not driven much in other cities, so cannot comment
The condition is more or less same in other cities as well. Even if there is a roundabout on the intersection, to prevent that exact scenario, they tend to ignore it. Sad really.
Vikalp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 22:03   #10244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisTvpm View Post
Firmly believe the riders should take the green path shown and not inconvenience others by following the red one!
Now you know where the term 'cutting corners' has it's origin !

This can be corrected (or atleast attempted to be corrected) by placing a traffic police stand in the middle of a crossroad or a T junction.

Last edited by blackasta : 26th July 2018 at 22:08.
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 22:26   #10245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
This can be corrected (or atleast attempted to be corrected) by placing a traffic police stand in the middle of a crossroad or a T junction.
True, but at less prominent (yet with heavy vehicular traffic) cross-roads / T-junctions, deploying police personnel might not be feasible, I'm afraid !? I have to dodge MANY morons at sharp perpendicular junctions during my daily commute!

IMHO, the issuance of driving licenses in our country needs to be relooked & overhauled drastically ! Driving on public roads is a responsible act, which unfortunately certain morons take so so lightly

Hope commonsense prevails among the driving public !
KrisTvpm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks