Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2018, 19:58   #10351
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Continuing on the subject of bad bus drivers...
This driver on a Kallada Scania bus, overtook me from the left even though his lane was coming to an end - thankfully I had space in the right lane to move over and let him complete the overtaking.
Around 30 seconds, he nearly meets his match as a car driver reverses on the left lane...
Well, highways in India are never dull to drive on.
It appears that the bus driver took it as an "all in a day's work" moment. Just a tap on his brakes and it appears that the driver felt that the bus would squeeze through the available space
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2018, 20:10   #10352
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Well, highways in India are never dull to drive on.
Absolutely, glad you spotted the bus in time and changed lanes.
The place looked so familiar - I think it's where the Chengapalli bypass ends in the Coimbatore-Salem direction (and reduces from 6 lane to 4 lane).
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2018, 20:24   #10353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Absolutely, glad you spotted the bus in time and changed lanes.
The place looked so familiar - I think it's where the Chengapalli bypass ends in the Coimbatore-Salem direction (and reduces from 6 lane to 4 lane).
Yep, this is the Chengapalli section on the Perindurai-Coimbatore stretch.
IronH4WK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2018, 18:14   #10354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Between the spokes of the handsome looking, shiny piece of alloy wheel was resting the red and yellow wheel lock put in place by a traffic cop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
it turned out my VW alloys were stronger than the wheel lock, which broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
I thought they put a prominent notice on the windscreen
You posts made me recall a similar incident with my friend in Pune some 10years back, except for the unexpected end.

He had parked his vehicle in a spot which was not clearly demarcated and other vehicles were also parked on that side.

On returning he found the wheel clamp locked on his wheel. Initially, he was furious, but then regained control, put the car on jack, replaced the wheel with spare and kept the locked wheel in boot.

At office he showed us the locked wheel and then proceeded to get the lock removed. I need to check with him if he still has that trophy.

I wonder how the police guys would have accounted for the missing lock.

Last edited by AutoNoob : 8th September 2018 at 18:15.
AutoNoob is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th September 2018, 16:31   #10355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
I wonder how the police guys would have accounted for the missing lock.
Police makes a note of vehicle number clamped by them...

You run away with lock, they might file a case against you...
carbookie is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 17:04   #10356
BHPian

Not a bad driver per se, a bad road user nevertheless. This is one of my eternal fear in Indian roads - someone getting down from a bus unexpectedly in middle of the road.

jpcoolguy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 11:03   #10357
Team-BHP Support

Saw a dude FaceTiming, while driving, on a very busy road last night.

While I was parallel to him, I gestured he shouldn't be doing so. In return, he gestured that I should keep moving. Such love.
libranof1987 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 12:33   #10358
Senior - BHPian

A handful of bad bikers like this give the rest a bad name on highways.
These adventure seekers drive while recording their trip - no safety gear and not the safest of riding I've seen either.
Old 16th September 2018, 22:47   #10359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbookie View Post
Police makes a note of vehicle number clamped by them...

You run away with lock, they might file a case against you...
It's been ten years, so I think he dodged that. May be police started noting down the vehicle numbers after they found a lock missing.

Now, sharing a bad driver that I found on highway.

The Scorpio was probably on the way to Panipat City, but missed the left cut. But then decides to take U turn on the main section. Could have resulted in serious head-on collision as the permitted speeds on this section are 90kmph. I wonder if such people just drive with their bodies and leave their brains at home.

AutoNoob is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 11:43   #10360
BHPian

A very close encounter today morning, wonder what that idiot was thinking, driving like he has the devil on his tail, probably so.

sparky@home is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 15:01   #10361

How often is it you spot and convey on roaders on safety issues while moving in roads? Do you & How?

How often is it you spot and convey on roaders on safety issues while moving in roads? Do you and How?

Not sure if this is a discussion topic to be made but discussing here with the adepts as I feel that spotting and conveying safety issue on roads itself would be a risk or unsafe.

If this heading itself isn’t enough to make you understand please read more below

What safety issues I have often seen on roads and how do I convey it?

1. Finding - Women as a pillion rider having loose end of the saree (pallu) getting proximate to the wheels.
How is this safety concern? - Loose ends can often tangle into wheels and riders can miss balance on bike causing accidents.
How is it conveyed? - Usually honk to have the rider’s attention and show hand signals so that the rider (Pillion) is aware. This works most of the time, but sometimes it irritates others on why there is so much of honking for no reasons.

Opinion - Usually the saree guard is on the left of the vehicle, But Sarees pallu always flows around the right side, so having saree guard on right side is as important as it is to be on left side.

2. Finding – Pillion (alone kids) has dozed off. (This I have observed at times that usually ladies or old people or dozed off as well). Most of the time it’s because they are not well (Sick, Diabetic or had dozes of medicine) One of my acquaintance fell from the pillion seat and had fractured hands.
How is this safety concern – If Kid has dozed off, falling off from bike are of high chances and can cause fatal accidents.
How is it conveyed? – reach up to the vehicle, signal them to stop and make them aware of the incident.
Once old women on bike was almost falling down as she had dizziness due to summer heat, Rider got to know about it and he slowed down and stopped the bike and tried to hold her with one hand. And I almost was there and helped guy saving the old woman from falling down. Sprinkled water on face and she was back to senses.

3. Finding – Fuel, Oil, Battery Acid leaks.
How is this safety concern - Too much of fuel leak can cause vehicle to be halted in the middle of traffic. Oil leak can cause safety concerns to others on the roads like skidding of vehicles. Battery acid leaks can cause problem to environment and vehicles itself.
How it is conveyed? – It would be same as point two

4. Finding - Vehicle doors not closed properly
How is this safety concern - Most dangerous thing, as there has been an accident in Pune where in, the bus side tool box / luggage doors were open and it hit the road side people causing death? I have also seen the load rickshaws having the behind doors unlocked which opens and shuts itself while the vehicle is moving.

5.Many Others would be like
Headlights on during day (which is no more a concerns as it is a safety feature), But still in small villages people still convey to you that the headlights are on.
Signal indicators on even when it’s a straight road and you have been observing the signal lights on since more than a km. This can be a safety issue confusing the vehicles behind.
Loose ends of the clothes of passengers stuck in the door of vehicles.
Rear Wiper left off the Rear Windows shield after cleaning.
Wheel cap detached from the cars wheels – while on the move.
Plastic covers, wastes (like old clothes, cables which were lying on the roads), stuck underbody and is being carried along the way unknowingly.
Flat Tyres (Mostly spotted)

There could be many more, Some of them are not safety concerns, But sometimes your mind doesn’t like to see them and it creeps you from inside so that you have convey them.

Most of you might have experienced these and many more.

Please share your experiences, How do you convey them? And how can you convey them safely without putting yourself in danger?
rowonfield is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 15:32   #10362
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How often is it you spot and convey on roaders on safety issues while moving in roads? Do you &

I've warned many car owners about their flat tyres when I was beside them on a motorcycle.

My brother in law was in the front passenger seat when he noticed an overloaded Indica having a loosely shut rear passenger door out on the Chennai-Bangalore highway. We rolled down our window and informed them by sign language.

Others have warned my wife about her dupatta, when she was pillion. Few have warned me about the side-stand which I often forget.

All the above have happened in broad daylight, or at the very least, at night but in a well-lit setting.

I have never been able to warn anyone of their flat tyres or loose doors at night, in dark areas. I would ride beside them, flash my headlights, gesticulate...they only sped up and zoomed away. I guess they thought I'm the dacoit that everyone warned them about!
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 18:46   #10363
BHPian

Re: How often is it you spot and convey on roaders on safety issues while moving in roads? Do you &

I have identified partially closed doors by looking at the cabin lamp and warned them by stopping my vehicle and signalling with hand.

Other findings are loose clothes, turn indicators, folded mirrors (some with driver side mirror too ).
knightrider_7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 19:41   #10364
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Pedestrians - How do you spot them

You really know when to pose (with a victory sign), don't you? Here's one from this morning where the cop confronts a trio on a bike and captures the offence on Phone. But the pillion sitting on the end actually poses for the picture gesturing with a victory sign!

And then, I saw this 2 days before. I must be easily doing 80 KMPH while this car overtakes me (at 100 at least) and I see a kid's head popping out of the sun roof, barely able to withstand the force of the wind.

My biggest fear here - What if someone throws trash (Bottle) or a bird flies across or something falls from the underside of the flyover

paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 20:22   #10365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

And then, I saw this 2 days before. I must be easily doing 80 KMPH while this car overtakes me (at 100 at least) and I see a kid's head popping out of the sun roof, barely able to withstand the force of the wind.
Towards the end of the video, the kid is actually jumping up to prop himself i think - you can see his head bobbing up and down. I am reminded of some stand-up comedian's dialogue I heard once - "paisa aa gaya but sense nahi aaya". People will buy such high end cars but indulge in such uncivilised and dangerous behaviour.
RedHerring is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks