Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2018, 14:05   #10381
BHPian

Don't you just hate people who can't respect the stop line, and actually go on to block your path?

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1539765158566.jpg

This motorcyclist has two separate bags dangling over his accelerator. I would understand if he chose to hang it on the other side, but over the accelerator? Recipe for disaster!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1539765168598.jpg
esoticoreventon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 14:44   #10382
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
This motorcyclist has two separate bags dangling over his accelerator. I would understand if he chose to hang it on the other side, but over the accelerator? Recipe for disaster!
Jugaad cruise control

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
Don't you just hate people who can't respect the stop line, and actually go on to block your path?
I wish that our police would target such vehicles when they are on their drives to meet their monthly targets. Easy pickings, incontrovertible proof - the vehicles can't go anywhere either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Wish the Supreme Court had something to say about this.
While concrete measures would be nice, I'm sure we'll instead be asked to put our driving license in sticker form on the windshield.

Last edited by arunphilip : 17th October 2018 at 15:08.
arunphilip is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 15:04   #10383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
I wish that our police would target such vehicles when they are on their drives to meet their monthly targets. Easy pickings, incontrovertible proof - the vehicles can't go anywhere either!
How many drivers know that it is a stop line? That you are not supposed to cross it? That you need to slow down near a Zebra crossing to let someone cross? Solid line divider, yellow lines, broken lines?

I bet not even 50% of the driving/riding population. Wish the Supreme Court had something to say about this.
samaspire is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 15:32   #10384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
I bet not even 50% of the driving/riding population. Wish the Supreme Court had something to say about this.
50% is way too high. I'm guessing it'll be a tenth of that at best (not kidding).
sidpunjabi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 15:44   #10385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidpunjabi View Post
50% is way too high. I'm guessing it'll be a tenth of that at best (not kidding).
Let alone make them follow rules. First task is to make them aware that rules even exist.
Nalin1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2018, 12:52   #10386
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

I was just surfing through Youtube and I came across the videos of this guy called Faisal Khan, lives in Mumbai I guess, Navi Mumbai to be precise as most of his videos are from Palm Beach Road and I am surprised that he is not behind bars yet.

Everyone of his test is about doing unmentionable speeds on Palm Beach road (which has people riding and driving at less than half his speed) or on the Mumbai Pune Expressway and gleefully posting it online so that people would ape and probably have a crash.

There was no other thread I could post this onto so ended up posting it here.
humyum is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 20th October 2018, 13:07   #10387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I was just surfing through Youtube and I came across the videos of this guy called Faisal Khan, lives in Mumbai I guess, Navi Mumbai to be precise as most of his videos are from Palm Beach Road and I am surprised that he is not behind bars yet.
We talked about him a few pages back and in general about online reviewers. Faisal is a reviewer for some auto portal too. One time I said something about his brazen law breaking in the YouTube comments and his fans were not happy with me. No wonder Indian roads are such a shitshow with moronic people following another law breaking idiot like a cult and calling him an expert driver and rider.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 20th October 2018 at 13:10.
Yieldway17 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th October 2018, 13:16   #10388
BHPian

Quote:
most of his videos are from Palm Beach Road and I am surprised that he is not behind bars yet.
It's not just about the law he breaks but what concerns me more is that how he is indirectly influencing countless youngsters/ameatures into driving this fast on public roads.
I believe if one is having a fan following or large number of supporters/subscribers, then every act of that person should largely be in public interest, be it driving or whatever.

Sadly, no strict action is taken against such persons. I hope it happens soon.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 20th October 2018 at 13:21.
Sherlocked is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th October 2018, 15:12   #10389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
We talked about him a few pages back and in general about online reviewers. Faisal is a reviewer for some auto portal too. One time I said something about his brazen law breaking in the YouTube comments and his fans were not happy with me. No wonder Indian roads are such a shitshow with moronic people following another law breaking idiot like a cult and calling him an expert driver and rider.
On his profile it says ''Founder and CEO of Motorbeam", his fans must be of the same variety as him, we should report guys like these to the Mumbai Traffic Police on Twitter

In one of his reviews of the Avanti he says 'I am absolutely scared for my life because this car is moving all over the place ' and this was while his car was nearing the 2 ton mark passing other cars on Palm Beach Road during the day, stops at the signal, begins to accelerate again and on a turn says handling is so bad I point the car somewhere and it goes somewhere else while shaking the steering while passing a biker on the left while doing a ton and half, can you even imagine that?

I was shocked that these people are even called journalists, car companies call them for reviews and let them do antics like these with their demo cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
It's not just about the law he breaks but what concerns me more is that how he is indirectly influencing countless youngsters/ameatures into driving this fast on public roads.
I believe if one is having a fan following or large number of supporters/subscribers, then every act of that person should largely be in public interest, be it driving or whatever.

Sadly, no strict action is taken against such persons. I hope it happens soon.
I hope so too, this nonsense in the name of journalism has to stop.

Last edited by SDP : 20th October 2018 at 16:50. Reason: typo
humyum is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2018, 15:40   #10390
BHPian

Quote:

Everyone of his test is about doing unmentionable speeds on Palm Beach road (which has people riding and driving at less than half his speed) or on the Mumbai Pune Expressway and gleefully posting it online so that people would ape and probably have a crash.

There was no other thread I could post this onto so ended up posting it here.
Have requested mods to move these posts to a seperate thread; perhaps ironically, this menace deserves more publicity - especially with the administration.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Also, slightly on an already slightly thing, one may find this gent's fans here too:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intro...-youtuber.html (Meeting my favorite YouTuber!)

The incongruity of the title as the intro thread caught my eye - made me laugh, it did, before I updated my ignore list.

Last edited by Mu009 : 20th October 2018 at 15:41. Reason: Correction(s)
Mu009 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2018, 15:52   #10391
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm dubious that this is the thread for this discussion, but... Is there any chance that a complaint to YouTube would do any good?
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2018, 16:23   #10392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I'm dubious that this is the thread for this discussion, but... Is there any chance that a complaint to YouTube would do any good?
YouTube does not remove these kind of videos which is fair from their end. It's not their job to enforce laws except for very blatant ones as it varies across countries and continents. If someone has to do anything, it is the Police department of that city.

Last edited by SDP : 20th October 2018 at 16:47. Reason: typo
Yieldway17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2018, 03:40   #10393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
YouTube does not remove these kind of videos which is fair from their end. It's not their job to enforce laws except for very blatant ones as it varies across countries and continents. If someone has to do anything, it is the Police department of that city.
About the Faisal Khan "menace" as described here, I think all those "concerned" should have a look at You Tubes take on such videos and take a cue from that. Simply because, for one, there are tons of drivers around everywhere who have much worse everyday driving habits causing much more heartburn and stress on the roads everyday without even realizing it maybe, if you observe closely. Oh, they're not on YouTube, by the way, so most wouldn't know. Secondly, except for the one thing against him is his being in illegal speeds at times, briefly, his driving is not really what one would call rash. And guess what, I never watched his videos and went out and revved the nuts out of my own machine as a result. Because I'm not an ape and don't ape things. If somebody did ape, then he's an ape, and Faisal didn't ask the ape to do it in the first place. Just saying.

I've watched a lot of his videos amongst other people's videos and noticed that he never breaks signals as far as I've seen, doesn't stop on the zebra crossing, never cuts of anybody or creates a situation where someone yells at him, never saw him zigzagging, or tailgating someone or any such thing. Even his "menacing" speed stints are always on deserted strips or on back roads or the likes. Also, he always wears safety gear especially on a bike, which almost nobody normally does. This is what I personally distinctly noticed. Now I'm not an expert like most may be here but to my mind that's pretty acceptable if you compare it to most other road users of Apna pyaara desh. Ah, the speed thingy is the thing I can't comment about. But guess what, even our xbhp logo has the needle way in the red. I'm not requesting the mods to get it into acceptable territory though.

Everyone likes to point fingers, but come on, how many bhpians can cross their heart and say they've never overpeeded or never do it occasionally on the sly? There you go. Everyone has the answer I guess. Of it being legal and right or wrong is another story.

Now let me be clear though that I'm not defending the so-called "menace"(though it my well seem like ) and I'm not exactly a fan but I do watch his videos simply because it gives one a good idea of the more extreme performance of most exciting vehicles. I get a good idea of what it feels like too. Most other journos do it too. Faisal is a bit different though, I would say.

Why do I get a feeling that a lot of guys are going to pounce on this post? Well, it's just my two cents. Hope I'm entitled to that.
pixantz is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st October 2018, 05:42   #10394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
About the Faisal Khan "menace" as described here, I think all those "concerned" should have a look at You Tubes take on such videos and take a cue from that. Simply because, for one, there are tons of drivers around everywhere who have much worse everyday driving habits causing much more heartburn and stress on the roads everyday without even realizing it maybe, if you observe closely.
And to be honest if you were actually "concerned", whataboutery would not have been the argument.

Quote:
Oh, they're not on YouTube, by the way, so most wouldn't know. Secondly, except for the one thing against him is his being in illegal speeds at times, briefly, his driving is not really what one would call rash. And guess what, I never watched his videos and went out and revved the nuts out of my own machine as a result. Because I'm not an ape and don't ape things. If somebody did ape, then he's an ape, and Faisal didn't ask the ape to do it in the first place. Just saying.
What you call as just "illegal speeds" follows E=MC2. The difference in energy contained in a 1.5 ton car traveling at legal speeds versus unmentionable speeds he does in his video is exponentially more. Which in other words means that he is exponentially dangerous for the others around him. There is no justification for it. If you want to speed, find a private road and do it to your hearts content. I infact reported him to Mumbai traffic police but I wonder if anything was done.

Quote:
I've watched a lot of his videos amongst other people's videos and noticed that he never breaks signals as far as I've seen, doesn't stop on the zebra crossing, never cuts of anybody or creates a situation where someone yells at him, never saw him zigzagging, or tailgating someone or any such thing. Even his "menacing" speed stints are always on deserted strips or on back roads or the likes. Also, he always wears safety gear especially on a bike, which almost nobody normally does. This is what I personally distinctly noticed. Now I'm not an expert like most may be here but to my mind that's pretty acceptable if you compare it to most other road users of Apna pyaara desh. Ah, the speed thingy is the thing I can't comment about. But guess what, even our xbhp logo has the needle way in the red. I'm not requesting the mods to get it into acceptable territory though.
Oh so you mean that if he breaks signals or yell at people etc etc he will put it in his youtube videos for us to see. Given how he speeds on public roads in the name of so called "reviews" I would not give him the benefit of doubt so easily. Just saying.

Quote:
Everyone likes to point fingers, but come on, how many bhpians can cross their heart and say they've never overpeeded or never do it occasionally on the sly? There you go. Everyone has the answer I guess. Of it being legal and right or wrong is another story.
And therefore everyone should stop pointing fingers (even those who follow rules) and everyone should speed because everyone else is doing it.

Quote:
Now let me be clear though that I'm not defending the so-called "menace"(though it my well seem like ) and I'm not exactly a fan but I do watch his videos simply because it gives one a good idea of the more extreme performance of most exciting vehicles. I get a good idea of what it feels like too. Most other journos do it too. Faisal is a bit different though, I would say.
Your whole argument is defending him or whataboutery. If most other journo's as per you do it, call them out too. Its no justification.

I am absolutely appalled that you find
Quote:
"more extreme performance of most exciting vehicles"
antics on public roads something that you need to defend.

Quote:
Why do I get a feeling that a lot of guys are going to pounce on this post? Well, it's just my two cents. Hope I'm entitled to that.
I wonder why you get the feeling. Guilty conscious?
extreme_torque is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st October 2018, 10:12   #10395
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I've watched a lot of his videos amongst other people's videos and noticed that he never breaks signals as far as I've seen, doesn't stop on the zebra crossing, never cuts of anybody or creates a situation where someone yells at him, never saw him zigzagging, or tailgating someone or any such thing. Even his "menacing" speed stints are always on deserted strips or on back roads or the likes. Also, he always wears safety gear especially on a bike, which almost nobody normally does. This is what I personally distinctly noticed. Now I'm not an expert like most may be here but to my mind that's pretty acceptable if you compare it to most other road users of Apna pyaara desh.

If we are talking about the gentleman driving the GTR in this video then I'm

I'm no saint to preach people on how to drive on public roads. But over a period of time I've learned to stop doing somethings. So I'm not getting into the larger debate about the reviewer.

The bar/expectation on safety and good driving skills are abysmally low in India. So I'm not surprised that you didn't find anything wrong with his driving.

In the interest of fellow readers, I would like to call out somethings that caught my attention in the above video,

1. Launch Control:
I could see vehicles all around. Heck, there was a bus on his ORVM.
Look at the number of failed attempts to launch. Things like launch control and driving with Traction Control = OFF requires a lot of skill and familiarisation. It's better to try those in a controlled environment and then show-off.

2. Overtaking from the left:
Not an issue in India I suppose. But if you care, try to overtake from the right.

3. Indicators:
Is it too much to ask for a driver to indicate? Oh, btw indicators are not ONLY for taking 90 degree turns into a street, it's for changing lanes as well.

Parting line: A GTR review from another reviewer from another country. You be the judge. Which one do you like?

kiku007 is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks