Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2018, 16:48   #10486
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
Wow really... You advocate that it is ok to have non-functioning brake lights and it is quite fine to leave your vehicle without lights on a highway / motorway? And people have thanked you for your post?

Of course one has to have good defensive driving habits, but there should be no excuse for ignoring basic vehicle functional safety aspects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Are we back to rear lights on elephants?

Just... Don't drive into the thing in front of you.

I guess what the OP meant was, being proactive and having a little common sense will go a long way in preventing accidents, including running into a truck/bus/elephant/ whatever parked on the road/road side.

Most often these lorries will be parked on the edge of the left most lane. People crash into them when they are overtaking something from the left side after tailgating it, unable to see whats on the side. If you follow at some safe distance before overtaking, you may be able to spot these parked morons.Of course, if they are parked on a curve, theres not much anyone can do.

Please, I'm not supporting these idiots. Most people drive on the roads expecting others to obey the traffic rules. Lots of accidents occur when their expectations fail them.
GeneralJazz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 18:47   #10487
Distinguished - BHPian

Had an encounter with the worst possible bad driver case one can ever come across. I was in a bumper to bumper traffic. I was stationary and thankfully my foot was not on the brake pedal and I was maintaining a healthy 5ft distance with the car in front.

Suddenly I feel a nudge and my car moves forward. A Chevy Aveo UVA had banged me from back. And at the same location the fog lamps are located.

Since the traffc was stationary, I get out to have a chat with him. He was literally hanging on the wheel and the disgusting smell confirmed he was badly drunk. No point arguing with the fellow. He was braking and accelerating like crazy so I somehow changed lanes and parked my car at the road side.

Went to the traffic police at the signal and he said he cannot take action just for drunk driving case. I will have to write a written complaint and show them the damage.

I then called '100', and informed the lady about the case. Thankfully they were very cooperative and took all details from me. A couple of phone calls later confirmed the police were looking for him.

The offending Chevy. His front number plate broke after the impact.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20181210_182744.jpg

A couple of scratches on the bumper. Thankfully the fog lamp survived.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20181210_182854.jpg

Regards
Shashi

Last edited by navin : 11th December 2018 at 11:04. Reason: typos
Leoshashi is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 00:31   #10488
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
Wow really... You advocate that it is ok to have non-functioning brake lights and it is quite fine to leave your vehicle without lights on a highway / motorway? And people have thanked you for your post?
Well, that is nice way to interpret my post! I "advocate" no such thing! Things.

But, above all, I do advocate not driving in such a way that one hits stuff. Because stuff is often there, whether or not it should be.

If and when the rest of the world actually follows the rules, which I also support, we could take it a bit more easily. Perhaps. Because there will always be the possibility of a truck that suffered a complete mechanical and electrical breakdown just around a blind curve. Or an elephant.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th December 2018, 14:27   #10489
BHPian

Saw this in a feed. This is not an uncommon antic by the drivers there. Does'nt consider toy trains as something to be given way.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 29th December 2018 at 15:55. Reason: Video link added
sbanerjee is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th December 2018, 23:11   #10490
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like a lucky escape.

What idiot drives in front of a train?

What bigger idiot drives in front of a train slowly!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th December 2018, 16:36   #10491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanerjee View Post

Saw this in a feed. This is not an uncommon antic by the drivers there. Does'nt consider toy trains as something to be given way.
DL should be confiscated ASAP.

Last edited by bblost : 30th December 2018 at 16:41. Reason: removed embedded video.
mbilung is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2019, 16:39   #10492
BHPian

U turn and toll road ? - No Problem !!!

Name:  Screenshot 20190101 at 16.21.35.png
Views: 6444
Size:  205.9 KB

Wonder what these folks smoke

PADAS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st January 2019, 19:17   #10493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PADAS View Post
U turn and toll road ? - No Problem!!!
Whenever I come across such nincompoops I used to confront them with the intent of bringing a tiny bit of guilt to their conscience but most of my attempts used to prove futile hence gave up and learned to ignore them.

Last edited by Pferdestarke : 1st January 2019 at 19:18.
Pferdestarke is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2019, 19:59   #10494
Team-BHP Support

Not quite who is at blame here: the driver or the fleet owner but this is terribly dangerous. The tyre tread is not just bald but it has multiple tears, and this is on an office Tempo Traveller. Oh, and the oil leakage.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_1039.jpg
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2019, 20:13   #10495
BHPian

Spotted a stupid cop speaking on his mobile while riding his motorcycle without a helmet.

How would the law enforcers set an example to general public when they themselves don't give a damn about traffic rules?

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20190102_201035min.jpg
Pferdestarke is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 17:32   #10496
BHPian

On Indian roads, Defensive Driving requires complete confidence that the other person on road is a complete jerk and bound to mess up big time. After a couple of rookie experiences with such drivers, have tuned my mind to expect facing a fatal move even though the road is empty (you MUST expect someone to jump / appear from behind a divider or bush at all times).
I rest my case!
Unavowed_X9 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 21:55   #10497
BHPian

This happened on Saturday on NH-48 near Udaipur. The truck changed lane to take a left turn, no indicators, no helper to guide him. The truck was in motion, I assumed that the truck is changing lanes as they usually drive on the fast lane on a 2-laned highway.

sinharishi is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 22:45   #10498
BHPian

Spotted this kid trying to perform a wheelie on a public road. Managed to capture a brief footage and forwarded this to cops. Hope they've caught him for a good counseling session.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-screenshot_20190107224003_whatsapp.jpg
Pferdestarke is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 22:46   #10499
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
This happened on Saturday on NH-48 near Udaipur. The truck changed lane to take a left turn, no indicators, no helper to guide him. The truck was in motion, I assumed that the truck is changing lanes as they usually drive on the fast lane on a 2-laned highway.
That's a heart-stopping moment there! Whilst I think I would have asked myself why he was slowing down, but I could well have thought "whatever: trucks just stick to that lane."
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 08:57   #10500
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Hope they've caught him for a good counseling session.
Under-age as per your estimate (I agree), no license, no helmet, dangerous riding, life endangerment of self and others.. warrants more than a counselling session.

In India jail is so taboo, one visit and apparently the whole pride of the family is gone and we do anything to keep away from visiting a police station even for a road argument. Such cases need to be put in the cell for a couple of days to cool their heels off and then be released, 99% guarantee that he won't do such activities in his life.

Under-aged riding is very prevalent where I am, and its a combination of money, thrills and parents who should've never become parents.. which hands a high-speed bike like a KTM or Pulsar to 13, 14 year old kids.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks