Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2019, 11:19   #10531
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
That's one way to spot 'em bad drivers right there in my experience.

Whether it's official cars, pedestrians in uniform, on two wheelers (always with helmets to get into their cantonments) or private cars with stickers like this, a disproportionate number seem to forget their orderly, disciplined and rule based lives in the civilian world.
"Army" stickers, "Police" stickers, "Press"/"Media" stickers and of course - fluttering political flags or an illuminated photo of a prominent politician on the dashboard facing outward - these are thegiveaways of bad drivers in my book. And they prove my premonition right almost always. They don't pay tolls, don't stop at traffic lights, drive on the wrong side and can threaten anyone with self-righteous roadrage.

I've even found a guy with a "social media" sticker once. Never understood what the implied threat was with that.

The icing on this macabre cake - is a guy who drives a Swift to my office with red 'G's painted on the number plate corners. After he parks, he nimbly places a paper over each 'G' and secures the paper with a rubber band. What's so illegal in what he's doing to make him cover it up, I wonder? He's upto no good for sure.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20180725_130822_hdr.jpg

Last edited by suhaas307 : 5th February 2019 at 12:54. Reason: Spacing of quoted post
locusjag is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 12:42   #10532
Team-BHP Support

The sticker business is completely out of hand, esp. declaring oneself an office-bearer for some BS organisation or committee nobody has heard of.

Just this morning, came across a Scorpio with opaque tints barge into the wrong side right in front of traffic cops, nearly knocking me and a few other scooter riders down. One cop tried to flag him down, the front passenger rolled his window down halfway and stared, the senior cop on duty just waved the car through while typing up a challan for another guy he'd cornered.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 12:58   #10533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
"a guy who drives a Swift to my office with red 'G's painted on the number plate corners. After he parks, he nimbly places a paper over each 'G' and secures the paper with a rubber band. What's so illegal in what he's doing to make him cover it up, I wonder?
Reminds me of similar behaviour by Russian government cars parked in illegal spots one sees in Russian videos. They most often use plastic money and compact discs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
The sticker business is completely out of hand, esp. declaring oneself an office-bearer for some BS organisation or committee nobody has heard of.

Just this morning, came across a Scorpio with opaque tints barge into the wrong side right in front of traffic cops, nearly knocking me and a few other scooter riders down. One cop tried to flag him down, the front passenger rolled his window down halfway and stared, the senior cop on duty just waved the car through while typing up a challan for another guy he'd cornered.
This is such a common occurrence many of us are nearly desensitised to it by now, I think.

Last edited by Mu009 : 5th February 2019 at 12:59. Reason: Added some stuff.
Mu009 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 10:20   #10534

I understand it’s a Valentines week, but he should have distributed Roses not Kisses today. He almost kissed my car on shoulders, thanks God I saw him coming and steered left, but he was adamant to kiss and kissed the Santro.
rowonfield is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 12:11   #10535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowonfield View Post
I understand it’s a Valentines week, but he should have distributed Roses not Kisses today. He almost kissed my car on shoulders, thanks God I saw him coming and steered left, but he was adamant to kiss and kissed the Santro.
During my time in Pune I was always advised by my local friends to steer clear of the vehicles where "Maharashtra" is written in the marathi script instead of MH. Confronting one of those chaps never ends well, what with me being from "another state" etc etc...
Turrrb0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 18:49   #10536
BHPian

Two incidents involving 2wheeler riders -- all in a day, morning:
  • 8:15am -- Start from home, walking to bus-stop, 2-way median-ed road, me crossing the road towards median, obviously looking only to RHS, find a gap of 2-3 buses distance between vehicles & initiated crossing, moron on 2wheeler zips from LHS on wrong-side and bangs onto my leg, bruises/cuts ensue, he mumbles something and speeds away, what a start to the day!
  • 9:30am -- Near FM Kariappa road, walking thru well-marked pavement (thanks to the recent "tendersure" thingy, this is one of the few pedestrian-friendly roads in Bengaluru), another moron comes behind me on pavement and honks, this time I hold my ground, don't give a damn & ask him to get down onto road, for which he foolishly grins, nevertheless walk at my leisure making the blighter follow me!

Needless to say, encountered 2 worse drivers in a short time! Hoping my day goes well at office !
KrisTvpm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th February 2019, 14:35   #10537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
During my time in Pune I was always advised by my local friends to steer clear of the vehicles where "Maharashtra" is written in the marathi script instead of MH. Confronting one of those chaps never ends well, what with me being from "another state" etc etc...
On my recent trip to Himachal Pradesh, we hired a driver from Delhi and he told us same thing that most of the drivers in Himachal will have attitude issues with other state cars. Hindi main bole toh "Hamare Papa (Read it as Ba*P) ka ghat hai". I for a second thought which ghat is he talking about

It was shocking to see that Traffic police allowed HP registered vehicle to pass by even if they jumped signals and the way they drive on Manali ko Kufri road irritated me to the core.
atulsian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2019, 14:44   #10538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
During my time in Pune I was always advised by my local friends to steer clear of the vehicles where "Maharashtra" is written in the marathi script instead of MH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atulsian View Post
On my recent trip to Himachal Pradesh, we hired a driver from Delhi and he told us same thing that most of the drivers in Himachal will have attitude issues with other state cars.
Seems like this is a universal problem from region to region.

I'd like to add that in Bombay, I was similarly advised by my friends, apart from the "Maharashtra" thing, to stay away from those that also sported the "tiger sticker" and even more so if the car was also orange coloured.

I was jokingly told many times, "Don't buy an orange Ecosport in Bombay, bro. Otherwise I'll gift you a tiger sticker."

Turrrb0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2019, 07:06   #10539
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: No more off-topic discussions please. Thank you!
Old 9th February 2019, 13:08   #10540
BHPian

One common behavior that I am able to spot regularly during long drives:
  • You are on a 4 lane highway with divider in the middle (2 lanes up and 2 down). You and two other cars are on the left most lane and you are behind the other two. The second car tailgates the first.
  • You have clear vision and is faster than the car that is being tailgated and you have the RHS lane free to overtake and you intend to overtake.
  • You start changing to the lane on the right by putting RHS indicator.
  • The car that tailgates takes it as a positive sign to go ahead and blindly overtake and he starts doing the same. The guy simply thinks that he needs to grab the opportunity as soon as possible.
  • You of course were able to anticipate all these and you withdraw from the attempt feeling anger, desperation and irritation.

My irritation usually is more on the fact that the dude driving car that tailgated believes me completely. In my view, you have to get rid of such cases as fast as possible to stay risk-free. Either you got to slow down and let the flock drive away or speed past them expecting none of them will try to catch up with you.

Not sure if this was shared here before - on searching the thread, I didn't feel so.
vinodvayyat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 00:43   #10541
BHPian

While in a narrow road, a motorcyclist from opposite side suddenly overtook a car ahead of him and in the process touched my ORVM, luckily no damages.

Speaking on a mobile while riding, oblivious to the surroundings.

Old 20th February 2019, 04:24   #10542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post

Just another day en route to work :(
This is a very big headache. The KSRTC drivers stop in the middle of the road as if they own it. Look at the distance that he has left to the bus stop. The passengers have to walk at least 3 steps, which means there is easily a 2-foot gap between the bus and the curb on his side. He (the bus driver) is doing that purposely to block the road so that he gets a clearer road ahead of him, and rest of the road users be damned.

Near my home, there is a T junction, with the perpendicular part of the T being the wider part. So, the buses, stop, just before the junction, (on the narrow single lane road) even though the bus stop is after, because, the bus drivers know that if they stop just after the junction, other vehicles will get an opportunity to get ahead of them.

I would place at least 50% of the blame on the bus driver, the motorists driving behind the bus will have no other choice as the bus driver will do everything he can to block others from overtaking. This will result in incidents such as this.

What were the authorities thinking? That a solid white line will work here? Where there is a bus stop? Do they think that all the other road users have to stop behind the bus driver each time the bus stops? fat chance of that happening! They have to be practical and need to take these scenarios into consideration.
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 21:02   #10543
BHPian

I had stopped my car for the bus to cross, when I see this chap cutting in. He had been behind me and was trying to overtake me but the cross traffic was preventing him, and when I stopped he took the chance. Wonder what he was thinking.

sparky@home is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 21:34   #10544
BHPian

When you somehow make way for an emergency ambulance to pass, either by slightly steering to the left, off the road or by any other means, and the ambulance manages to pass by. Then you see some really smart (read idiots) holding the tail of ambulace and biting upon the opening that was given for ambulance.

P.S: These moments makes you really wish for a JCB to be in your garage.
Sophomore is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 01:32   #10545
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
I had stopped my car for the bus to cross, when I see this chap cutting in.
What a classic idiot! A pity that he did not have to reverse all the way back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophomore View Post
P.S: These moments makes you really wish for a JCB to be in your garage.
Oh for 3mm-steel bodywork. Or a total lack of concern for one's own paint.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed