Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2019, 16:56   #10576
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Dude joins the road while looking at the mobile in one hand. Got a shock when he heard the horn. Good that I wasn't speeding.

naveen.raju is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st March 2019, 16:56   #10577
Distinguished - BHPian

Driving in the middle lane to take a right is simply... Being in the wrong lane.

It happens. We may be in an unfamiliar area. If it happens, we should get positive confirmation that other vehicles will let us cross, even if that means nosing in until they have no choice. Never just cut across, especially on 2 wheels.

Also, overtaking on one side to cut across to the other is just prime bad driving, whatever the wheel count.

Overtaking at all when one is about to turn is bad. Except in a world where there is total disregard for others.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2019, 09:59   #10578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Driving in the middle lane to take a right is simply... Being in the wrong lane.
Except if you are driving a SUV with an oversized turning radius like mine. Inside city where I have to turn right, I will position in the middle lane or even in the left lane with the right indicator on and nudge close to the right line almost at the turning point. You will see many trucks and buses do this to turn right/left without having to do multi point turning. Usually most car drivers are aware of your intention and won't cross your path. Bikers tend to live on the edge and have poor situational awareness. They couldn't comprehend the dynamics of other vehicles.
Old 22nd March 2019, 11:14   #10579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Dude joins the road while looking at the mobile in one hand. Got a shock when he heard the horn. Good that I wasn't speeding.
I like how he gestures what I assume is a "sorry" with his right hand at the end of the clip.

It's like a "I know I'm doing the wrong thing, sorry and thank you."

Turrrb0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2019, 16:17   #10580
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
It's like a "I know I'm doing the wrong thing, sorry and thank you."

Exactly. That's what he said - "My mistake and I am sorry".
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2019, 17:54   #10581
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Except if you are driving a SUV with an oversized turning radius ...
Obviously, one has to drive according to the vehicle. Some have to take a right turn from the far left lane!

I made a passenger laugh as, watching a biker take a right like this, I commented, "her day job might be truck driving and she has got used to taking turns that way."

In fact, those who misjudge their turning circle and have to back up are annoying. And yes, I've done that and probably will again.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2019, 13:21   #10582
Distinguished - BHPian

Came across this video on YouTube.

1) Drag race on public roads
2) The second attempt was done on the wrong side of the road. There were vehicles on this stretch and few morons on the middle of the road recording the race.

Source - YouTube
naveen.raju is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2019, 13:40   #10583
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

They have a series of such drag race videos from the same road and executed in worst fashion.

I first chanced upon these when some feeds suggested me on my phone.
Old 23rd March 2019, 14:30   #10584
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

2) The second attempt was done on the wrong side of the road. There were vehicles on this stretch and few morons on the middle of the road recording the race.
My goodness! What kinds of murderous morons we have on our roads?

Is the wrong side racing just for bragging rights on social media? I've seen seen social media making people do crazy things. But this is nothing short of attempted murder. Hope the long arm of the law or the law of averages catches up with them some time soon and takes them out.

There was a thread some time back on whether one feels safe in their cars and I had voted NO (Poll: Do you feel safe behind the wheel of your car?). This is exactly the kind of people I fear coming face to face with on the highway! No amount of safety built into a car can save you from such murderers.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2019, 15:08   #10585
BHPian

A Kerala Road Transport Bus Driver was chased and stopped by the Motor Vehicle Department of that state for talking on the mobile phone while driving. However, the Motor Vehicle Department of Kerala could not fine him because of a recent High Court judgment.

The bus driver was merely issued a show cause notice by the RTO rather than being fined. This is because a Kerala high court, in a May 2018 judgment, had ruled that ‘talking on the mobile phone while driving is not an offence, unless it can be established that it endangered public safety’. The court also added that there is no provision under the existing law to book a person talking on the mobile phone while driving.

Link: https://www.cartoq.com/ksrtc-bus-driver-rto/

This clause was something new to me, and it’s no wonder that I see so many persons talk on their mobile while driving. Is this only in this state or are their other states which also follow this ruling.
sparky@home is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2019, 15:18   #10586
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
This is because a Kerala high court, in a May 2018 judgment, had ruled that ‘talking on the mobile phone while driving is not an offence, unless it can be established that it endangered public safety’. The court also added that there is no provision under the existing law to book a person talking on the mobile phone while driving.
This clause was something new to me, and it’s no wonder that I see so many persons talk on their mobile while driving. Is this only in this state or are their other states which also follow this ruling.
This is news to me too, because in Kolkata the police is pretty strict and anyone driving with their phone in their hand (talking/texting/browsing) is fined.
boniver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2019, 15:33   #10587
BHPian

Quote:

What morons. Anyone know where is this? Really wonder what I/we can do to stop this.

How do these people think think it's okay to do these kind of things on public roads without any impunity?
Old 23rd March 2019, 17:25   #10588
BHPian

Quote:

This is plain appalling.. Out of curiosity I decided scroll through the comments and was shocked to see the commenters cheering on or saying "This car is better" or "That one should've won" etc..
On the Safari vs Scorpio video I watched, there was not a single comment questioning their actions.

Majority of the people seem to prefer the Safari over the Scorpio, at least in the comments! LOL..
Old 23rd March 2019, 17:38   #10589
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
My goodness! ---snip----murderers.
Moronity apart, how sad must you life be to hold a "drag " race with swifts, innovas, safaris and Scorpios???
Pitiable lives.
mayankk is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2019, 18:04   #10590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

All with red temporary plates. These fellows are getting hold of test drive vehicles and using them for the drag race or are dealership staff who are doing this themselves since they'd be crazy to let a walk in customer take out a car on his own without anyone from the dealership accompanying him. And in such a case the accompanying salesman would surely not allow it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks