Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2005, 11:42   #16
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What else can you guys add ?
Aunty drivers. Drive at their own pace on the right lane.

Quote:
1: All external mirrors folded – visually impaired
Hmm. I dont think so. I never use the side mirrors and have nevr caused any trouble to anyone.
Old 21st January 2005, 11:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12
Hmm. I dont think so. I never use the side mirrors and have nevr caused any trouble to anyone.

Really?? So u keep turning ur head back everytime u have to change lanes?
I would feel practically blind if i were to drive with my side mirror folded! Usually at night i have to turn the side mirror down a little to avoid the headlights being reflected from it.... and even that makes me a bit uneasy.
amitoj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2005, 11:57   #18
Team-BHP Support

But Amitoj if you go back 20 years, there was no concept of door mirror except for the trucks and jeeps. Trucks, because they can't see right behind and jeeps because of their canvas back.

Those who started driving those days (including me) can drive without side mirrors. No, you don't have to twist neck or head for that.

I sound pretty outdated for sure. At least according to N_C.
Rudra Sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2005, 12:02   #19
Senior - BHPian

i agree with rudra and v12 on those things.. people who have been driving from a long time..do not use side mirrors cos earlier cars did not coe with side mirrors as a std accessory in india. even my dad does no use the side mirrors..the rear is sufficent for him.
Old 21st January 2005, 12:07   #20
Senior - BHPian

I think using side mirrors depends really on the kind of vehicle you are driving... for example, i never felt the need of using side mirrors in my M800.. the central r.v.m does the job quite well, i guess because the shape of the car and of C& D pillers...
on the other hand, i cant drive without opening right hand s.v.m on my WagonR, 'cause the central r.v.m has very poor view due to tall and narrow rear and fat C&D pillars...
Old 21st January 2005, 12:12   #21
BHPian

also those morons who tail you with the lights in full .....
sanket12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2005, 12:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

not to forget lady drivers... who dont care about any rear view mirrors.... only one direction they look at: Front...
Old 21st January 2005, 12:19   #23
BHPian

Generally the female drivers are the reckless ones..am sure there are some exeptions..it was jst a generalisation as i have found most of them reckless be it cars or 2 wheelers..they are most of the times perched at the edge of the seats. trying to c the front wheels i guess

2 wheelers sometimes can be reckless to the core...Ppl who honk at signals when the signal is red and also jst for teh sake of pleasure are reckless drivers.

Flashy bright vehicles ( cars and bikes) also can be reckless..
muni is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2005, 12:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

I guess am jus a bit over cautious then. And i dont have a good rear view mirror.

Anyways, getting this thread back on track, another symptom of over confident (read rash or potentially dangerous) driver: Talking on the cellphone while driving. Heck i see even people driving two wheelers talking on the cellphone!!

Last edited by amitoj : 21st January 2005 at 12:32.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2005, 12:21   #25
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Really?? So u keep turning ur head back everytime u have to change lanes?
Nopes. have a big rear view mirror. Use the side mirrors only on the highways/expressways. not on normal roads. never know when a silly biker might knock it off.
Old 21st January 2005, 12:24   #26
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Heck i see even people driving two wheelers talking on the cellphone!!
Tucking the cellphone between the ear and the helmet is the in-thing nowdays.

Quote:
Generally the female drivers are the reckless ones.
Hmmm. i wudnt call them reckless. They try hard to be careful but in vain. Wud prefer to be knocked down by a lady driver rather than a drunk male driver.
Old 21st January 2005, 12:26   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni
Generally the female drivers are the reckless ones..am sure there are some exeptions..it was jst a generalisation as i have found most of them reckless be it cars or 2 wheelers..
u mean "reckless" as in rash or "reckless" as in naive? There can be at least two types of bad drivers:
1. Over confident: drivers who think they are schumacher!
2. Under confident: drivers who make mistakes out of sheer lack of confidence or practice.

Average "bad" female drivers fall into the second category while average "bad" male drivers fall into the first. Note the usage of word "average" instead of "all" or "most".

Amitoj
Old 21st January 2005, 12:28   #28
Senior - BHPian

Those darn truckies....... they stick to the right most lane on the ringroads/highways...... doing only 40kmph....
Old 21st January 2005, 13:05   #29
Senior - BHPian

I never trail city bus. The move from right most lane to the left most at a bus stop even without watching the rear. Once they leave the bust stop again it's the reverse from left lane to right lane. They are very bullish in changing the lanes. I never saw a bus with working tail lights.
Old 21st January 2005, 13:22   #30
Senior - BHPian

yea shravan316
its so frustratin.....ur doin about 80 -100 and then u havta slow down to 30 n start honkin n wait for them to move......hate tht......

Most Viewed