Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2005, 07:46   #46
Senior - BHPian

I have to add Santro's to this list. God knows what the owners think but i have seen Santro's driven like it's a ferrari- and plenty of them! Somehow, all the maniac Santro's are the old ones. Does the Xing have a calming effect or something?
Old 23rd January 2005, 14:05   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
8: Lane creators – people who create a third lane on the extreme rights at the traffic lights - direct in the path of on coming traffic and expect you to let them in- fat chance! I drive past and thump the door with my fist – harmless, shocks them and the Vtec gets me away before they can catch up
?
that attitude shows that you have Road Rage ...
looks like you are afflicted with ROAD RAGE ....
Old 23rd January 2005, 14:12   #48
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
how to spot fools-
1.driving with both the rear view mirrors folded.
Not necessary. We've discussed this already anshuman. u dont need both mirrors to be a good/safe driver.
Old 23rd January 2005, 16:06   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not necessary. We've discussed this already anshuman. u dont need both mirrors to be a good/safe driver.
Personally, i feel more comfortable with both mirrors rolled out. In a country like India, where you get overtaken from both sides, it's always good to have an eye on both sides.

A safe/good driver not only sees that he doesn't bang into others, but also sees to it that poitential maniacs get enuf room to go through.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 23rd January 2005 at 18:43.
Old 23rd January 2005, 17:59   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
I have to add Santro's to this list. God knows what the owners think but i have seen Santro's driven like it's a ferrari- and plenty of them! Somehow, all the maniac Santro's are the old ones. Does the Xing have a calming effect or something?

i think thats because the old santro was a bit heavier than the new Xing (correct me guys if i am wrong..).. had a stiffer suspension too...
More metal gives that added sense of security.... (which is neways not true as we all know..)...
Same thing with Indica/Sumo...
Old 23rd January 2005, 18:40   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by haryan
that attitude shows that you have Road Rage ...
looks like you are afflicted with ROAD RAGE ....
You might have a point !!!!
Old 23rd January 2005, 18:53   #52
Senior - BHPian

Ajmat, what do you mean "thump the door with your fist'? You actually push your hand out of the car window to see that nobody get by? Wow

Yup, in a way, that is road rage. Though it might seem harmless, someone comming really fast on a bike maynot see you in time. That can hurt.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 23rd January 2005 at 19:28.
Old 23rd January 2005, 19:17   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Ajmat, what do you mean "thump the door with your fist'? You actually push your hand out of the car window to see that nobody get by? Wow

Yup, in a way, that is road rage. Though it might seem harmless, someone comming really coming fast on a bike maynot see you in time. That can hurt.

Shan2nu

No no no, I 'll be in the right queue at the lights - some chump comes up close on my right in the path of oncoming traffic, trying to cut in (all this at at near stationery situation - thechump tries to be aggressive and cut in, his door is in arm's reach of me, I give a soft thump which panic stops him and take off

I agree not very clever but these guys get on my goat. Since you guys think it is a form of road rage, I will need to mend my ways on this one !
Old 23rd January 2005, 19:33   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No no no, I 'll be in the right queue at the lights - some chump comes up close on my right in the path of oncoming traffic, trying to cut in (all this at at near stationery situation - thechump tries to be aggressive and cut in, his door is in arm's reach of me, I give a soft thump which panic stops him and take off

I agree not very clever but these guys get on my goat. Since you guys think it is a form of road rage, I will need to mend my ways on this one !
Oh ok, but yeah it's better if you don't do it. I know that even if you talk to the guy, he's not gonna listen to you but, i guess you can't help it.

In heavy traffic on a hot afternoon, i roll up the windows, play some nice music, switch on the A/C and forget about the world outside. But i do keep an eye out for those maniacs who could scrape my car.

Shan2nu
Old 23rd January 2005, 20:25   #55
BHPian

In Hyderabad , there are LOTS And LOTS of maniac drivers ...
the traffic in Hyd is anarchy and chaos ... there are drivers who have absolute no Road sense and just swerve and drive as they own the roads ... I know a maniac as soon as i see the way the car drives on the road ... i avoid them and if i see any maniac behind me i just let them go .... thats in rush hour ... but in the Nights thats around 1 or 2 i really rip on the roads enjoying myself as there is absolutely no traffic on road at thet hours ...
Old 23rd January 2005, 21:54   #56

in hyderbad on the road to the airport i was stuck in bumper to bumper trafic when this motorcycle guy(was talking on cellphone) and driving aggressively in bumper to bumper trafic to get in front of me at an intersection but i just kept up with him until the end of the intersection when he had no choice but to stop and wait till somebody else lets him in. better than thumping door. they will learn a lesson with no harm doneunless he is a complete maniac and decides to go on the other side of the road)
Old 24th January 2005, 01:50   #57
Team-BHP Support

Hi,

Well about the side view mirrors. Not using them does not make you a "reckless driver" or anything of the sorts. However, i will say that they are a huge advantage and provide a much safer method than only the inside RVM, regardless of how you leant, what you are used to, or how old you are.

The fact is that looking at only the inside RVM leaves HUGE blind spots on the left and right of your car, from the B-pillar till quite some distance behind the end of the car.
Chances are that if you are going to have an accident while switching lanes or taking a turn it will be caused by a vehicle in this blind zone.
Using the outside RVMs help you see most of this blind spot (much better and safer than turning your head and trying to look back).

Think about it this way, 2wheelers always end up on the left of you just beside the boot of your car just when you are about to take a left turn. No way you can see them in the inside RVM, and craning your neck to look back whilsts concentrating on whats around the corner is just not a good solution. One glance in the outside left RVM can solve this problem.

Granted that its possible to drive safely without using your outside RVMs, but the advantage is that it is much safer when you do use your outside RVMs.

cya
R
Old 24th January 2005, 10:14   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Chances are that if you are going to have an accident while switching lanes or taking a turn it will be caused by a vehicle in this blind zone.
Well, i'd call it reckless driving. Unintentional but reckless. Changing lanes without having a good view is reckless to me. That's exactly what most rickshaw drivers are known for, taking things for granted.

It's like those blokes who cross the road, looking in one direction, when there is traffic from both sides.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 24th January 2005 at 10:15.
Old 24th January 2005, 10:51   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
Hey Ajmat! Thats precisely wot i do too! Although sometimes my thump isnt so soft.
Old 24th January 2005, 13:40   #60
Senior - BHPian

The most reckless drivers: Drivers who don't stop at red signal.

I honk alot whenever somebody tries to squeeze in to my lane without signal. I respect and give way to people who shows indicators to change lane.

Once a girl at my office saw me honking and asked me later whether I honked for her too. My answer was, "Did you drive by rules? If not, you got my honking."

I really get crazy when people with very expensive cars and good amount of money to spend for fancy number drive like maniacs. When they care for themselves, they should also be sensible for others.

After all if we, people who went to schools and studied traffic rules in class second don't follow traffic rules, how will illiterate people got to know about rules.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks