Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2019, 10:35   #10966
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

The small nudge wasn't an issue for me at all since I knew that the number plate would have taken the hit (number plate section projects out a bit) and my car would be safe. But what irritated me was that he didn't have the basic sense to apologize for his mistake. Instead, he just takes off and endangers the life of others with his stupid driving. I eventually caught up with him and signaled him to drive slowly.

A close call for the Polo.

naveen.raju is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 11:26   #10967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
The small nudge wasn't an issue for me at all since I knew that the number plate would have taken the hit (number plate section projects out a bit) and my car would be safe. But what irritated me was that he didn't have the basic sense to apologize for his mistake. Instead, he just takes off and endangers the life of others with his stupid driving. I eventually caught up with him and signaled him to drive slowly.
Did something happen between you both before the start of this video? I have seen people do such to prove a point. On the other hand, would it have been a person learning to drive, going by the way the person had trouble going over the speed breaker? In any case, driving passing on the wrong side like that is certainly asking for trouble
Old 16th December 2019, 11:46   #10968
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Did something happen between you both before the start of this video? I have seen people do such to prove a point. On the other hand, would it have been a person learning to drive, going by the way the person had trouble going over the speed breaker? In any case, driving passing on the wrong side like that is certainly asking for trouble
Nope, that's the reason why I uploaded the start of the video where you can see me reach his car and not editing the video showing the incident bit. Yes, he did have trouble moving up the speed breaker. That's what happened there.

But what happened after that was the main thing qualifying him as a bad driver.
Old 16th December 2019, 11:54   #10969
BHPian

Quote:
Nope, that's the reason why I uploaded the start of the video where you can see me reach his car and not editing the video showing the incident bit. Yes, he did have trouble moving up the speed breaker. That's what happened there.

But what happened after that was the main thing qualifying him as a bad driver.
Just a quick thought - please don't get me wrong - was there any specific reason for you to stop that close to the car in front? Rolling back at the speedbreaker is definitely driver error and he/she should have apologised. But perhaps the situation could have been avoided if you had given a couple of extra feet of space?

In busy traffic signals we all have a tendency to stop a bit close to the car in front , otherwise we have two-wheelers cutting across right through the gap to get ahead. I am also quite guilty nowadays of pulling up right behind cars sometimes, hence the query
Bigzero is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 12:32   #10970
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
Just a quick thought - please don't get me wrong - was there any specific reason for you to stop that close to the car in front? Rolling back at the speedbreaker is definitely driver error and he/she should have apologised. But perhaps the situation could have been avoided if you had given a couple of extra feet of space?

In busy traffic signals we all have a tendency to stop a bit close to the car in front , otherwise we have two-wheelers cutting across right through the gap to get ahead. I am also quite guilty nowadays of pulling up right behind cars sometimes, hence the query
Yep, I knew this would come up.

Yes, I did stop a bit close to him and should have given more space. But his act after this was concerning. There's a blind free left up ahead and generally people take that turn pretty fast. He was lucky that day.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 12:38   #10971
BHPian

Quote:
Yep, I knew this would come up.
If you were aware and yet opted to get close and possibly nudged as well, I am afraid, I would need to call your driving as bad as well, if not in the "road rage" category. Stay cool and drive safe.
swissknife is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 12:42   #10972
Senior - BHPian

Swift slows down & moves to the left without indicating and biker tries to overtake from the left side, resulting in a near miss.

Klub Class is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 14:27   #10973
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
If you were aware and yet opted to get close and possibly nudged as well, I am afraid, I would need to call your driving as bad as well, if not in the "road rage" category. Stay cool and drive safe.
What I meant was someone here would comment that I stopped too close - Not that I knew that I was going to be nudged . Anyhow, let's not take this OT.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 19:02   #10974
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

The impatience and anger and bad manners of the new age Bangalore motorist even on a Sunday afternoon is incredible.

Yesterday - coming out of the Shell Petrol Pump near Agara / HSR around 2pm, the road surface is very poor, full of potholes and sharp objects etc, and hence, with the Cooper’s low ground clearance and my elderly Dad driving, we took a little time coming out and we also took a little more time to carefully navigate and move into the right hand lane, so as to make a right turn a few metres further down. All this time, with the indicator flashing on.

Behind us, driving quickly, appeared a large XUV Monster Truck Maroon/ Orange-ish colour - No KA 01 something 5373, driven by a typical “Bangalore Executive type” (bald headed, young-ish, brash and be spectacled) and driving with his young son standing up in the front passenger seat footwell.

The amount of loud and sustained honking we were subjected to, had to be heard to be believed.

I succumbed to road rage in the sense that I stuck my hand out the window and gave this Mr Man driver the Finger.

Upon which he swerved in front of us and braked hard, no doubt, in an attempt to scare us.
And rolled down his window too - which enabled me to deliver to him a strong piece of my mind in no uncertain terms including some “language”.

Sadly, the only effect this had, was to further heat the man up. Absolutely NO sense of any kind of acceptance as to his behaviour with the horn! Pathetic manners - considering my Elderly Dad who was driving the car.

The good manners of the Bangalore of old, literally has gone to perdition.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 19:22   #10975
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Swift slows down & moves to the left without indicating and biker tries to overtake from the left side, resulting in a near miss.
Just signal, always. Even when it may not be needed.

And why oh why, I cry for the umpteenth time, must bikers overtake on left. They must be taught it. It is firmly fixed in their routine: even with a clear road on the right, they like to slip through a gap on the left. very dangerous.

And they ignore signals anyway

Edit, yes, the signal is needed when stopping on left

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 16th December 2019 at 19:24.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 19:30   #10976
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Just signal, always. Even when it may not be needed....
Funny you mention that, I get laughed at often by co-passengers for indicating when they don't think it's needed.

'Who are you even indicating at?'

'I always indicate my moves so it's instinctive, and I don't have to think when I should or shouldn't.'

Incidentally, the turn indicator saved me in my office parking basement today, of all places. A chap emerged from a blind turn at a rate of knots (indicated speed limit is 15kmph on premises), and he opted out of diving for my RHS because I had the indicator on to turn into my favorite parking spot (which is behind a staircase bay). He missed my LHS ORVM by a few inches, same distance from a pillar on his LHS.

Call it unnecessary, but the blinker saved me from a big shunt in a parking lot. There's no place we can assume there are no idiots behind a wheel.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th December 2019 at 19:31.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 22:45   #10977
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, I have a compulsive-indicator hand too. Even on private property with no other vehicle in sight. But I agree it's a good, or at worst, harmless habit.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 23:59   #10978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
I dont think the biker was overtaking. Merely sticking to the shoulder lane where he has right of way.

Not exactly related to this but curious to know what BHPians think about this video ( in Tamil but the actions are mostly self explanatory) by Tamil Nadu police which says two wheelers should stick to the shoulder of the highway (if available) and not get on to the wider lanes. I used to think that the lane was meant only to stop in emergencies but it is definitely a lot more pleasant drive when bikers stick to the shoulder lane.

anandhsub is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 00:29   #10979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
And why oh why, I cry for the umpteenth time, must bikers overtake on left. They must be taught it. It is firmly fixed in their routine: even with a clear road on the right, they like to slip through a gap on the left. very dangerous.
I drive a two wheeler on a daily basis and i can guess with some certainty that you have hardly experienced the troubles of two wheelers in stop and go traffic going by your post.

The shoulder is the safest and fastest way for us. As simple as that. If at times i am in the middle lane, ill have to constantly look at my mirrors for lame car drivers who hardly follow lane discipline and don't know what an indicator is. Every time i stop i will have to take care that both cars on either side of me don't rear end. There's hardly any space behind bikers and its always pretty nervous in stop and go situations.

Hence, better to ride on the left where you have space and just the guy behind your right to worry about.
Also sticking to the term 'don't overtake from the left' may prove to be fatal in a few situations!

Last edited by Aditya : 17th December 2019 at 17:53. Reason: flow = follow. Please proof read before submitting your post. Thank You.
abhi7013 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 08:16   #10980
Distinguished - BHPian

If a lane is really dedicated to bikes, that is a good idea. It will only work if respected by all.

As a biker, you are just another vehicle on the road. True, you should not be bullied as a smaller vehicle, but you have the same responsibilities as a car or a truck even.

Almost all my driving is city driving, and this left-hand overtake, along with cutting inside when taking a turn, is usual and common behaviour which I can only describe in language which world not be acceptible on this forum.

The attitude of the biking crowd to always get ahead is just wrong. A vehicle stops; what should other vehicles do? Slow down and see why, be prepared to stop too. What does the biking crowd do? Move out to overtake. Regardless of what is happening ahead. Queues are for bikers too.

No offence to you and to other good bikers. I sometimes think that the antics of the crowd must annoy good riders even more than it annoys drivers of other vehicles.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed