Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2020, 15:34   #11041
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Faced an unexpected thing a week before during Pongal Holidays while visiting Athirapally falls with my dad and his friends.

We started to athirapally falls around 10:30 AM from Coimbatore city and reached athirapally around 1:15 PM with a stop for a coffee break. I parked the car in the parking that is situated on a downhill plain. Even though it was marked for two-wheelers/three-wheelers, The parking official directed us to park there as it was holiday and there was a huge influx of tourists and was barely able to park alongside the road(distance to walk was less) We checked into falls by 1:30 Pm and had a good time.

I was completely exhausted and haven't had lunch. I checkout of falls and reached the parking to drink some water and snack while I wait for dad and his friends arrive. It was around 4:15 PM and vehicles were parallel parked with a little space to parking downside which was also full. When dad arrived, He noticed a Honda city CVT parked right in front of the parking entrance, Now, there is no way out for almost 15+ vehicles parked in the parking. It was 5:15 with help of another car owner and five of us, tried lifting the rear of the car to push it bit out so we can get our vehicle out. We moved the car 10 cms but couldn't move it further. Complained to checkpost, but they were helpless. Meanwhile, I called Sundaram Honda in Salem where the car was bought. I requested the contact number of the owner, but being a holiday, they were helpless too. The time was around 6:30 now and almost all the vehicle owners have arrived and there was a huge crowd in front of the car. waiting for the car owner by now everyone was frustrated and decided to lift the car from the front and move it away. Successfully we finished the task and took our vehicles out with a narrow exit from the parking. Other persons were so frustrated and emptied the air from couple of wheels and we left. Not sure if they vandalised the car but the ladies over there were concerned about the family and blocked people from vandalising further.
Huge queue, You can spot the red Honda City at the top
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_6798.jpg

the space available for the cars to enter/exit with people waiting for the city's owner/driver.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_6795.jpg

Parking right infront of the Notice board lol.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_6794.jpg
gasinveins is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 18:10   #11042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasinveins View Post
He noticed a Honda city CVT parked right in front of the parking entrance, Now, there is no way out for almost 15+ vehicles parked in the parking.
I also faced a similar problem few months back in the TTDC contractor run and managed parking lot in Mahabalipuram. Some moron had parked their car right behind my car and row of other cars parked in perpendicular spots and went to sightseeing. Worst of all, it was a managed lot with a security person overseeing things. Had to wait for 90 mins for that person to arrive and move the car to get out and he didn’t even say sorry or felt an ounce of shame.

I was furious how could people behave like that. The thing is he didn’t face consequences that day and he never will and that keeps enabling them to do what they want. Same with haphazardly parked two wheelers taking half the lane of a major road etc. No consequences and collective behavior emboldens them to not even realize they are inconveniencing others, let alone the law or rules.
Yieldway17 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 20:01   #11043
BHPian

Bad Driver - How do you spot them? Overtaking on a blind curve with 3 heavy trailer trucks blocking your view completely - and expecting the other person in the oncoming lane to stop and give you your "right of way".

No offense to Vitara Brezza owners, but I somehow feel the crazy tailgaters of erstwhile Swift and Ritz years have moved over to Brezzas and Cretas and drive mindlessly on highways! Ive seen a lot of these cars (aka "UV"s) being driven very rashly!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th January 2020 at 17:14. Reason: typo edited
vsathyap is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 20:31   #11044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasinveins View Post
Other persons were so frustrated and emptied the air from couple of wheels and we left . Not sure if they vandalised the car but the ladies over there were concerned about the family and blocked people from vandalising further.
I can understand the frustration and appreciate moving the obstructing car. But, I disagree with "Emptying the air from the wheels" It's a remote place and how can we expect him to go safely with the family and to top it, you all have committed an offence. It amounts to vandalizing.

You could have put a note with your choice of words and see that, its tagged in the right place visible to the driver and his co-passengers. I did it twice
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 13:10   #11045
BHPian

A police woman jumped the signal and wanted to squeeze between me and the median, while I was being squeezed into the median by a bus. I stopped and gave the cop an earful for not obeying the rules of the road herself. Her only response was, "It's OK, keep driving"

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-cop-jumping-light-ashok-nagar-police-station.jpg

It appeared that this biker figured that he came up the kathipara clover leaf instead of going under it. He turned around and headed in the opposite direction down the fly over!
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-biker-turning-around-kathipara2.jpg
swissknife is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 13:28   #11046
Senior - BHPian

There's a small raised gap in the divider in a busy stretch here. It's for a zebra crossing but just low enough for impatient and idiotic two wheeler riders to take a u-turn there.

Saw a dude with a small kid in front and wife in the back doing the same thing. Lowered my car's window and asked him why he has to do such things especially with a kid in front? His response? You mind your business!

One small loss of balance and the family would have been on the road at the mercy of the oncoming traffic!!!

Irony? The actual U Turn spot is just a few meters away...sigh
Old 28th January 2020, 15:06   #11047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
I can understand the frustration and appreciate moving the obstructing car. But, I disagree with "Emptying the air from the wheels" It's a remote place and how can we expect him to go safely with the family and to top it, you all have committed an offence. It amounts to vandalizing.

You could have put a note with your choice of words and see that, its tagged in the right place visible to the driver and his co-passengers. I did it twice
Agreed. When I came back to the place from the entrance(the only place where decent internet is available ) after googling the showroom and service manager, One of the wheels had been emptied, Although it didn't look like so. I always have a few A4 sheets along with Car documents, But it didn't strike me. Plus the language barrier made it difficult to converse with fellow tourists.
Old 2nd February 2020, 12:49   #11048
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Not an accident but couldn’t help posting this one here. What does one say to such people? Spotted about 5 min ago on Jaipur-Delhi highway.

P.S. - am on the passenger seat. Clicked this pic from there.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-7c6d84a8c4994e80ae10b49ad80252d0.jpeg  

sid1509 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2020, 15:40   #11049
BHPian

Super car chase: A speeding Huracan and R8 were pursued and drivers taken into police custody in Hyderabad yesterday.

P.S: Just because you own a supercar doesn't mean you're provided with special exemptions from law

Last edited by Pferdestarke : 2nd February 2020 at 15:42. Reason: Fixed typos
Pferdestarke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2020, 19:13   #11050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
Aren't outside mirrors the most essential in a narrow crowded street? I can't imagine driving without external mirrors inside a city.
That is because you must be used to driving only with the external mirrors. One must note that Maruti 800 and even Zen came with only right side door mirrors till the late nineties. I know of many old school drivers who keep the door mirrors open only in the multi lane roads and keep it closed inside the city.
Old 2nd February 2020, 20:20   #11051
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sankar009 View Post
That is because you must be used to driving only with the external mirrors. One must note that Maruti 800 and even Zen came with only right side door mirrors till the late nineties. I know of many old school drivers who keep the door mirrors open only in the multi lane roads and keep it closed inside the city.
If they are elder/old-school... If they didn't know why that was wrong back then, they probably don't want to know know.

Underspecification of cars is no excuse. It shouldn't be, but the left-hand mirror is a keep-bikers-alive tool!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 11:42   #11052
BHPian

https://www.manoramaonline.com/news/...ce-driver.html

Saw this strange incident on the news, and don't know who to blame. An ambulance tries to overtake a bus, and stops in front of the bus almost causing an accident. The employees of the bus get into a fight with the ambulance driver.

My observations:

I don't see any flashing lights on the ambulance, so I assume it is not attending to any emergency.

There must have been multiple attempts to overtake prior to the start of the video shown, and that must be why the ambulance brake checks the bus.

The bus employees were clearly wrong in getting into a fight with the ambulance driver.

Ambulance drivers need to be properly trained to know when they should expect other vehicles to move over.
Old 3rd February 2020, 15:55   #11053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
Saw this strange incident on the news, and don't know who to blame..
Looks like a case of road rage primarily. The ambulance indeed did not have any lights flashing or any sign that it was attending to a patient. Thus it should not have been in such a hurry unless its on a call in which case the siren and lights should have been on ?

Most likely looks like something happened earlier and the ambulance driver chased the bus and halted to argue which turned into a fight.

In any case employees should try to resolve the matter amicably instead of turning it into a free for all.
Old 4th February 2020, 17:52   #11054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If they are elder/old-school... If they didn't know why that was wrong back then, they probably don't want to know know.

Underspecification of cars is no excuse. It shouldn't be, but the left-hand mirror is a keep-bikers-alive tool!
Two wheeler drivers should also try to stop the practice of overtaking from the wrong(left side)
Old 4th February 2020, 18:12   #11055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sankar009 View Post
Two wheeler drivers should also try to stop the practice of overtaking from the wrong(left side)
Good thought but in Bangalore that is a practice and when you question that wrong side over taker you will be asked "what happened?". Nobody feels something is wrong and that becomes a practice or law and eventually you become an odd man out here
It is impossible to drive in Bangalore if your car does not have left ORVM. One can write a whole big book on "Driving Practice to follow in Bangalore"
rajivtelang is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks