Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2021, 23:23   #11356
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Textbook example of rash driving. No usage of LRVM, wrong side driving, overtaking on curves, etc.

stallmaster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 09:09   #11357
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallmaster View Post
Textbook example of rash driving. No usage of LRVM, wrong side driving, overtaking on curves, etc.
I watched this video twice with an intent to nitpick because you say he is example of rash driving. To be honest with you, except for the fact that he was faster than the rest of the cars, I seriously didn't find his driving rash in any sense. His LRVM would have got folded due to winds (Its a Maruti ) and he should have adjusted it I agree.

But apart from this, he wasn't impatient, wasn't really rushing to get past others and took his own time and waited on few occasions too, was in good control most of the times when taking on the curves including down-shifting, was using both hands (although at wrong position).

Typically, when someone is driving fast, he necessarily need not be rash and this video is an example for that.

Regarding overtaking on curves, well, sitting from the driver's seat I have a feeling that he had good visibility during each of those overtaking attempts along with the fact that he had good momentum to pass all the times.

In the end, he seems to be more than content with the puny little hatch on those curves!!

Last edited by paragsachania : 16th February 2021 at 09:33.
paragsachania is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 09:36   #11358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
In the end, he seems to be more than content with the puny little hatch on those curves!!
Yeah, makes sense. I may be wrong here. I drive EXTREMELY defensively in hilly areas, as I feel margin of error is next to nonexistent there. Hence I felt his driving style was a tad bit overconfident.
stallmaster is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 10:23   #11359
Senior - BHPian

Dude spent most of the time driving on the wrong side of the road.

And real life Initial D?

It's always a recipe for disaster when people try and recreate scenes from movies/cartoons on real roads in real traffic.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 10:40   #11360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Dude spent most of the time driving on the wrong side of the road.
And real life Initial D?
It's always a recipe for disaster when people try and recreate scenes from movies/cartoons on real roads in real traffic.
Yes I find it not to be an example of rash driving but an example of bad driving for sure. He is unnecessarily keeping to the right lane even when there is no vehicle to pass. This has to be avoided especially on such a section of road. Following racing line is okay if the road is empty and is having a good visibility of few hundred meters to your front but always driving through the right lane is a stupid thing to do.

He may have felt like he was racing, Intial D and stuff, but all I could do was just cringe. The car is way too underpowered for my taste. Being underpowered adds to the unsafe nature of this car too. Underpowered cars are more accident prone when driven spiritedly, especially during risky overtaking maneuvers.

Another one for the thread - how many bad drivers in this video?

Last edited by clevermax : 16th February 2021 at 10:59.
clevermax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 10:52   #11361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Another one for the thread - how many bad drivers in this video?
Probably a minuscule number of driving schools in India teach you to check mirrors+blindspots mandatorily before starting off. Hence you have these dimwits behind the wheels.
Old 16th February 2021, 11:56   #11362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
To be honest with you, except for the fact that he was faster than the rest of the cars, I seriously didn't find his driving rash in any sense.
I do understand that he just want to drive fast at the same time be considerate to others on the road (a rare thing on Indian roads), but he still has some unsafe practices in his driving.
  • Driving in opposite traffic lane when his own lane is clear
  • Overtaking in group - following the vehicle overtaking in front of him, his visibility is definitely compromised in that situation
  • Overtaking on curves and that too more than one vehicle together - again his visibility is not zero, but while overtaking on a leftward curve his visibility cannot be 100% too.
  • His attitude towards driving - "Let's show them what an Alto can do"
Quote:
Regarding overtaking on curves, well, sitting from the driver's seat I have a feeling that he had good visibility during each of those overtaking attempts along with the fact that he had good momentum to pass all the times.
On the other hand, I have a feeling that he checked from the left side that no vehicle was coming from the other side and started overtaking, but while in middle of the maneuver, he had little awareness of what was going on in front of the vehicle he was overtaking.

Quote:
If he was really content, he wouldn't have had the understeer and continued on pushing the car. While these little Marutis have go kart like handling, they are not exactly meant to be driven on the limit. He is in desperate need for a sporty car and a race track.

Last edited by YD14 : 16th February 2021 at 11:58.
YD14 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 12:00   #11363
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YD14 View Post
I do understand that he just want to drive fast at the same time be considerate to others on the road (a rare thing on Indian roads), but he still has some unsafe practices in his driving.
My observations were to differentiate between him being a bad driver than a rash one. So I am not disagreeing to your view here.

Also, for a fact, this is the Old NH4 (Old Pune-Mumbai highway) and there are few sections here which are one way (not referring to the sections with medians) and you will often spot wrong side drivers/riders too.

In summary, for all the videos of bad drivers that we get to spot here on this thread, this one somehow doesn't take the cake .

Last edited by paragsachania : 16th February 2021 at 12:04.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 12:30   #11364
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Probably a minuscule number of driving schools in India teach you to check mirrors+blindspots mandatorily before starting off....
Certainly all the mirror stuff is a big part of learning to drive and passing the test in GB, but isn't it an element of common sense to look first before driving off or entering a road?

I'd say yes. Comes under self-preservation. It's like crossing a road on foot without looking. Sadly, though, daily experience tells me I'm wrong: it is increasingly uncommon sense.

Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 12:47   #11365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I'd say yes. Comes under self-preservation. It's like crossing a road on foot without looking. Sadly, though, daily experience tells me I'm wrong: it is increasingly uncommon sense.
It certainly comes under common sense and more importantly, survival instinct!

May be this guy in the video made a lazy effort to look, but he probably missed to see the car behind the auto-rickshaw. If it was me, I would have waited until I had a clear view of the road on either sides.

Last edited by clevermax : 16th February 2021 at 12:50.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 21:11   #11366
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't understand the thought process of the bus driver trying to overtake in a narrow bridge, that too when there are cars coming on the opposite lane, a large white SUV nonetheless. Guess he expects others to dive from the bridge to let him go

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 17th February 2021 at 21:12.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 21:35   #11367
Distinguished - BHPian

The notorious Hubli Dharwad single carriageway bypass is a classic example. Most buses and local trucks (not the long haul ones) easily manage to complete their overtaking maneuver by assuming that smaller vehicles will make way for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Guess he expects others to dive from the bridge to let him go
On our roads, one way to tell that is by turning on your Headlights which the bus driver didn't. I feel sorry for him that he wasn't trained properly by whoever made him learn how to drive a bus. On our roads, turning on headlights overrides every other basic law.

But the same tutors would have certainly told him how to pounce like a beast and expect others to make way for you.

Last edited by paragsachania : 17th February 2021 at 21:36.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 18:18   #11368
Distinguished - BHPian

Bad driving, er, bad bullock carting

These bullock carts carrying river sand are a menace. What can be worse? - One cart overtaking another bullock cart on a state highway.

Poor animals.

PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 20:27   #11369
Distinguished - BHPian

Slow vehicles: they do call for some patience.
Old 19th February 2021, 21:11   #11370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
These bullock carts carrying river sand are a menace.
Isn't it illegal to mine river sand in India ? I was under such an impression.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks