Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2021, 21:21   #11371
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
Isn't it illegal to mine river sand in India ? I was under such an impression.
Well, government stocks it up and sells it. It's quite a mafia here. Almost all politicians have a pie.

It's still illegal for a private party to sell sand. Government "approved" people do it and sell it.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 13:39   #11372
BHPian

Quote:
Isn't it illegal to mine river sand in India ? I was under such an impression.
It's illegal for private parties now to mine the sand themselves. But the state government mines themselves under certain conditions and sells the sand. Illegal mining is also still prevalent.

People are also for one reason or other against m-sand and want to use only river sand for construction of their buildings and this keeps the illegal business humming.
Old 23rd February 2021, 12:49   #11373
BHPian

Here are 2 videos from my dashcam

1. DTC bus drivers have no regard for red light here and almost hit a pedestrian (May be their minds were busy, passing on a message from Siddhi to Shiva) -

2. Monday morning rush with very heavy traffic near Ghazipur border caused due to a stalled truck, 2 cars and an Activa driving very close to each other - BANG!!!

Old 23rd February 2021, 13:39   #11374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NG_EV View Post
1. DTC bus drivers have no regard for red light here and almost hit a pedestrian (May be their minds were busy, passing on a message from Siddhi to Shiva) -
https://Youtu.be/WIAMRC7AoZs
I am not taking sides with the bus driver, and it's less likely they will stop for one, but the pedestrian could have used the zebra line.

Last edited by TrackDay : 23rd February 2021 at 13:40.
TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 14:06   #11375
BHPian

Quote:
I am not taking sides with the bus driver, and it's less likely they will stop for one, but the pedestrian could have used the zebra line.
Eh, they're hardly 5 meters away from the zebra crossing. Makes absolutely no difference. It's not as if the zebra crossing is some sort of anti-accident shield.
N.A.GTC is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 16:23   #11376
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallmaster View Post
Textbook example of rash driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
wrong side of the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
In the end, he seems to be more than content
Sorry to join the discussion late, but I believe from 2.00 mins onwards is a one-way road; towards Khopoli from Khandala on the old Mumbai-Puna highway where the up and down sections follow separate routes.

I still agree that this is a bit fast and aggressive driving for the section.

Last edited by avingodb : 23rd February 2021 at 16:24.
avingodb is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 18:05   #11377
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
Sorry to join the discussion late, but I believe from 2.00 mins onwards is a one-way road; towards Khopoli from Khandala on the old Mumbai-Puna highway where the up and down sections follow separate routes.

I still agree that this is a bit fast and aggressive driving for the section.
I have already mentioned this in one of my comments earlier as I am quite familiar with this section where he is driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Also, for a fact, this is the Old NH4 (Old Pune-Mumbai highway) and there are few sections here which are one way (not referring to the sections with medians) and you will often spot wrong side drivers/riders too.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 10:28   #11378
BHPian

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-obertake.png

Isn't this an extremely dangerous overtake or am I missing something? This is at highway speeds. I regularly see youtubers do this, although I myself can't even do this at city speeds on two wheelers.

Video @9:21 -
Old 25th February 2021, 11:02   #11379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post
Isn't this an extremely dangerous overtake or am I missing something? This is at highway speeds. I regularly see Youtubers do this, although I myself can't even do this at city speeds on two wheelers.
It is extremely dangerous and advisable not to do this at any speeds. Just a slight change in direction of one vehicle could be catastrophic for the two wheeler. Even at traffic signals one should try to avoid being near large vehicles like a semi or a bus.

Last edited by TrackDay : 25th February 2021 at 11:03.
TrackDay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 11:28   #11380
BHPian

Quote:
It is extremely dangerous and advisable not to do this at any speeds. Just a slight change in direction of one vehicle could be catastrophic for the two wheeler. Even at traffic signals one should try to avoid being near large vehicles like a semi or a bus.
Forget near, this is BETWEEN two four vehicles in a very tight space. Two wheelers do this in city traffic where I live VERY regularly when I'm driving a four wheeler and I genuinely get scared for their safety and try to accomodate by giving a little more space. I once had the bad luck of having to drive a two wheeler in the same traffic, I got extremely stressed out. People seem to be doing this nonchalantly. I can accept commuters doing it in city traffic, but to do it on the highways, on a public forum... It's mind blowing. Nobody in the comments even called him out on it. I've seen too much of this in YT motorcycle review videos, but this was the most extreme example.
Old 25th February 2021, 11:55   #11381
BHPian

Quote:
Textbook example of rash driving. No usage of LRVM, wrong side driving, overtaking on curves, etc.
It's the same guy here. How would you rate his driving?

Old 25th February 2021, 12:05   #11382
BHPian

Quote:

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=_PEfs9r8QWE
Absolutely no respect for the oncoming two wheelers who have the right of way, liberally using the opposite lane ON CURVES (some of them blind). Definitely needs a lesson in lane keeping, keeps hogging the wrong lane even when there's ample space in his own. Overtakes on curves, in hilly areas, oh boy. I was taught never to overtake on the curves even on highways.

Couldn't watch past 2 minute mark, it's simply rage inducing. Unsafe driving at its peak. Those who think he has appropriate view should keep in mind that the camera is mounted on the left side, the person sitting on the driver's seat would have a worse view on the curves.
RoadMonkey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 12:06   #11383
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Definitely stupid to move out of the median white line around curves. It's okay if it was an one way road. You can argue he had the view of what's ahead, but then, it's a bad bad practise to drive on the opposite lane no matter what.

He is the type of idiot that I always fear while riding my motorcycle around the ghats.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 25th February 2021 at 12:07.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 13:12   #11384
BHPian

Wow insanely risky driving. He is trying to hit the apex of almost all the corners he takes, never mind if it is in the opposite lane as well. Some of the overtakes were really dangerous with some oncoming 2 wheelers.
adi.mariner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 18:48   #11385
Distinguished - BHPian

Notice the two wheeler rider in front of me. The bus ahead stops, this fellow glances sideways at my car, and seeing that I am slowing down, he overtakes the bus without any vision of what is coming in the opposite lane. He gets surprised by an oncoming bus, decides (good call in that situation) to go to extreme right to let the bus pass and then merges back on the road.

If only the bus was 2 seconds earlier, he wouldn't have had a space to evade a crash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post

Isn't this an extremely dangerous overtake or am I missing something? This is at highway speeds. I regularly see Youtubers do this, although I myself can't even do this at city speeds on two wheelers.
It is extremely dangerous, and I have been that adrenaline junkie in my younger days. It's stupid too, to risk your life for a moment of thrill.

Been there, done that, at much higher speeds in my Duke 390. It feels crazy to think about it now. Wouldn't even try doing it if at all I get back on the saddle again.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-inshot_20210226_190114473.jpg

I realised one thing, I had always been ripping the motorcycles to their limits on any given road, assuming the other motorists would ride and drive properly, that they won't change lanes abruptly or make stops/turns blindly. Disaster strikes when one of them sucks at driving/riding and makes a small mistake ahead of you, and that's when your overspeeding ends up in a major crash.

I am talking from experience, broke 6 ribs and an arm, totalled a motorcycle, due to such an incident when an inexperienced bullet rider decided to make a sudden right without looking at the road behind and I was about to overtake him. Guess we all have our lessons. Some are very lucky to not break a bone when they learn it, some like me are lucky to break a few bones but still live. A few unfortunate souls just don't get the chance to live through that mistake.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 26th February 2021 at 19:17. Reason: Merged as requested.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed