Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2021, 23:24   #11386
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallmaster View Post
It's the same guy here. How would you rate his driving?
Looks like he is driving most of the time in US or Europe. What's with being on the right side of the road most of the time

And he has to do a overtaking maneuver at every corner.
I had coined term for this called obsessive overtaking syndrome.
Old 26th February 2021, 23:39   #11387
BHPian

Yesterday was a rant against bikers. Today it's a car. More precisely a cop car. I come back home and I am not kidding - the entire lane is empty but a cop has deemed it fit to park the car exactly in front of my gate. I honk. A lady cop exits and tells me in Marathi "Madam sandas la geli aahe. Chavi nehli". I really did not wish to argue with a woman, so waited. To her credit she got extremely frantic and kept calling the her "madam". Bang opposite my place is an auditorium - that's where madam had gone. Madam wasn't even apologetic. I was in half a mind to take a pic and upload it on the Mumbai Traffic Police app.
invidious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 06:59   #11388
Senior - BHPian

A couple of dashcam clips if bad drivers/riders
1. Car making a U Turn right in the middle of a busy road. This is such a common sight!

2. Biker on highway decides to overtake big truck and abandons the process as he probably realised his left turn/exit is coming up.

Last edited by BenjiRoss : 1st March 2021 at 07:00.
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 10:53   #11389
BHPian

1. Car making a U Turn right in the middle of a busy road. This is such a common sight!

This is a common sight indeed. One is why can't people find a place with enough space to make a clean U-turn and second is when such people do try such antics why can't bikers and rickshaws etc allow them to complete the turn instead of trying to jam their vehicles through whatever little space they can find.

2. Biker on highway decides to overtake big truck and abandons the process as he probably realised his left turn/exit is coming up.

This is a good one ! Looks like he panicked a little but at least he had the courtesy to signal his intentions.

Last edited by luvDriving : 1st March 2021 at 10:55.
luvDriving is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 15:33   #11390
Distinguished - BHPian

There is nothing wrong in overtaking multiple vehicles at a time, if the road ahead is clear of any traffic.

Here is one swift driver, who thinks passing his headlight gives him the right of way, anywhere and at any circumstances.

I am sure he bullied a lot of vehicles like that.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 1st March 2021 at 15:36.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 16:03   #11391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Here is one swift driver, who thinks passing his headlight gives him the right of way, anywhere and at any circumstances.
This is a very common practice in India. It is as if using the Pass light/High beam grants them special power to drive rashly. When a bus does this, frankly one would panic. Not only do those lights blind you, but then a huge vehicle charging at you would make you super confused.

Last edited by TrackDay : 1st March 2021 at 16:04.
TrackDay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 16:40   #11392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am sure he bullied a lot of vehicles like that.
We are quick to flash
Slow to slow down

We are quick to honk
Slow to wait for space

We are quick to change lane
Slow to indicate

Funny bunch of drivers we are
deathwalkr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 17:10   #11393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
But, what is the solution here if he has to go back? That road doesn’t seem to widen up.
saisree is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 17:24   #11394
BANNED

Quote:
I normally take slight left and give such impatient drivers the right of way, anyone who is coming from front, or anything following too close with a lot of honks and flashing.

Two reasons:
  • You never know why someone is driving fast. Even I have been in a few situations where I left the right, wrong, and all idealism behind - and just drove like a devil. And I still belong to the same school of thought, rules and regulations look and sound good only till the situation is ideal, or in-hand, exceptional situations demand for exceptional actions.
  • I personally know this guy from Coimbatore, very much vigilante and always carried this thought "I won't leave the lane, let the other driver stop". He was unaware of the stubborn nature of the speeding state transport bus drivers. Entire incident costed more than 2 months of the rest for the car in service station. No, he calmly slows down and vacates the lane, also tells us "Bro, we need to be alive to follow the laws and make others follow them".

Even my personal observation is that, people do such maneuvers with a very tight math and heavy foot on gas, it's not advisable to block the way of a fast moving vehicle doing this. Teaching a lesson to someone shall not come at the cost of argument, injury, death, or even frustration.

Last edited by VKumar : 1st March 2021 at 17:26.
VKumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 17:42   #11395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
But, what is the solution here if he has to go back? That road doesn’t seem to widen up.
There are several streets that he can enter to the right and the left that he can use for a safer turn or even go around. It will cost him about 2 minutes more.
Other option is to wait in the left lane and get a break in traffic. Will cost him 2 minutes.
There is also a junction a couple of minutes away where he could easily turn around safely and without even waiting.
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 17:47   #11396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Quote:
U-turns can be dangerous. Be extra careful while taking one. Make sure it is safe and let other motorists know by signalling at least 30 metres before you turn.
Remember U-turns cannot be made at traffic lights, on high-ways or if your U-turn disrupts traffic. Also U-turns are prohibited on a road marked with any single unbroken line or double centre lines whether or not one line is broken.
Source

Quote:
No driver shall take a 'U' turn where 'U' turn is especially prohibited and on a busy traffic road. If a 'U' turn is allowed the driver shall slow signal by hand as for a right turn, watch in the rear view mirror and turn when safe to do so.
Source

Road regulation violations
Taking a U-turn in a prohibited section, blocking free flow of traffic, not having the security number plates etc.
₹ 500
Source

For whatever reason one has to make a U-Turn, I think the best practice is to keep going and enter the road once again after a few right/left turns. It wont disrupt traffic, but it will definitely take more time. But I guess thats too much to ask for, from our fellow countrymen
GeneralJazz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 17:48   #11397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
This is a very common practice in India. It is as if using the Pass light/High beam grants them special power to drive rashly. When a bus does this, frankly one would panic. Not only do those lights blind you, but then a huge vehicle charging at you would make you super confused.
The irony is, as it's name suggests, it's a pass light. It is meant to convey to the driver in front that they may pass and that you would wait. For whatever reason, it's used as, get out of my way.

A long time ago, two cars entered a narrow bridge and both flashed their lights. One of the drivers turned on his wipers. After both came to a stop, the driver who turned on his wipers was arguing for right of way since he said that the wipers were to indicate "don't come any further".
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 20:49   #11398
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
I normally take slight left and give such impatient drivers the right of way, anyone who is coming from front, or anything following too close with a lot of honks and flashing.
I normally do that too, being a person who drives a lot on daily basis, that too on rural roads. This time though, I didn't do it because I was already slow (70 kmph) and there was also a two wheeler to my left. Honestly, I didn't feel like budging at all.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 20:41   #11399
BHPian

Three more observations of bad driving habits people have

1) Tailgating an ambulance in order to take advantage of the space people give while giving way to the ambulance. Very poor thing, imo, ethically as well.

2) Crossing 2 lanes at once. Jumping from the left most lane to the right most and vice versa directly on 6 lane roads. This is an extremely dangerous practice and one, sadly, commonly followed.

3) Not following the lanes. This one's obvious but apparently people feel comfortable occupying two lanes even on busy, elevated roads of traffic laden highways. Just today an Amaze was in fast lane at 60 while also blocking the lane on the left, not allowing people to overtake. My hypothesis is that people do this when they're using their phones.
Old 2nd March 2021, 21:56   #11400
Distinguished - BHPian

It was past 10 in the evening, the highway has entry points from the city and clearly traffic is merging in. This Eon driver just cannot slow down. He almost hit the car coming from the service lane.

Overtaking around a blind curve, without even a helmet. Brilliant!

Street Rossi, again without a helmet and overspeeding in a crowded area

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 2nd March 2021 at 22:14.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks