Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2021, 12:56   #11446
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
...Bus drivers have some pattern of thinking. I usually am very kind towards people driving large commercial vehicles, but today, I didn't want to budge...
SOP for such vehicles; one spot which always has me against a bus is at a main road at Palakkad - main road with no divider in between and a traffic light!!! I just stop in my lane.

And most of the time, it is the passengers who come out to argue with conductor and driver giving meek looks before reversing!
Old 15th April 2021, 17:48   #11447
Senior - BHPian

Kids! Wish he would be more careful in future :(
Old 15th April 2021, 18:56   #11448
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Kids!
Maybe it looked different on the spot, but the passenger looks like a kid, the older one at least teens? Old enough to know better, or, more like, too old to learn better, even when he gets a motorbike under him
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 21:30   #11449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
I think service roads are always 2 way roads. There is nothing called wrong side.
Unless the service road is demarcated as such with signs, lanes etc. they are not intended to be two way at all. But pretty much everyone uses that way in our cities and towns. But that doesn’t make it right.
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 23:09   #11450
BHPian

Since the time schools have reopened, I am regularly doing chauffeur duty for my niece (who is in 10th grade). Almost every time I see how impatient the parents or their drivers or even school teachers (the lady in blue scooter. I should have couple of more videos of her alone) are. The way they block oncoming traffic or parking haphazardly trying to park car as close as possible to school gate or they want to be the first one to exit, makes me wonder what kind of examples they are setting for their kids? No matter what kids learn in theory, practical examples are good enough for them to learn the same bad things.

PS: This particular road majorly has traffic for that school alone. Hardly a couple of houses there.

500ContyCruiser is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 13:40   #11451
BHPian

A video shared by Kerala Police.

https://fb.watch/4WjT6z-9yj/

P.S The blue shirt dude reminded me why we Malayalis are so much into natural acting.
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 11:23   #11452
Distinguished - BHPian

Drunk idiot on a suicide mission

I had to drive down off the road to miss this waste of oxygen, who was drunk out of his senses that he cannot see a big white SUV coming ahead and didn't even flinch to change direction.

A Tata Ace was behind me, who luckily sensed danger seeing me getting off the road and followed suit. Else he would have had to bear the blame of killing a moped guy.

PrasannaDhana is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 16:41   #11453
Senior - BHPian

I spotted one today!

Another day and another driver who seems to have a weird affection towards my car's left front.

Dude was behind me, then cut to the left lane, i thought, ok he's going straight or taking a left but imagine my shock when he started to cut me off.

If he also wanted to turn right which he did, he could have just followed me or at least followed the bus instead of nearly scraping my front and pushing me onto the median!

Why? I mean, just why?!

Just boggles the mind.
deathwalkr is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 17:01   #11454
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
... Dude was behind me, then cut to the left lane, i thought, ok he's going straight or taking a left but imagine my shock when he started to cut me off.

If he also wanted to turn right which he did, he could have just followed me or at least followed the bus ...
He seems to be trying to overtake that bus, in the manner of a bad two-wheeler rider. How stupid is it to get on the inside of the curve next to a long vehicle. He doesn't do it, but my bet is only because he couldn't.
Old 21st April 2021, 17:11   #11455
BHPian

- ORVM is for design purpose only. Never ever use them.
- Lanes are just lines to calculate the road width. Never ever look them and get distracted.
- Indicators?? What ? Where is the switch?

I just found a guy who believes in these new gen rules.

india008 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 17:29   #11456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by india008 View Post
- ORVM is for design purpose only. Never ever use them.
- Lanes are just lines to calculate the road width. Never ever look them and get distracted.
- Indicators?? What ? Where is the switch?

I just found a guy who believes in these new gen rules.
To be honest sir, I have never overtaken a slow moving truck that aggressively. I understand that every one has different driving/riding styles but in this situation I would try to be ahead of a large vehicle by a decent margin, indicate my intention to change lanes and then do it quickly.

You obviously have a lot more experience driving on Indian roads but then you would know that we can't depend on others (to follow proper driving etiquette or even display common sense) on our roads.

In this case, I think you dipped into the right most lane too quickly (still relatively less compared to the other guy who jumped two lanes) but if you would have avoided that perhaps you wouldn't have found yourself in that situation.
JithinR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 18:04   #11457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
To be honest sir, I have never overtaken a slow moving truck that aggressively. I understand that every one has different driving/riding styles but in this situation I would try to be ahead of a large vehicle by a decent margin, indicate my intention to change lanes and then do it quickly.

The speed difference between me and truck makes my move not that dangerous, in my opinion. Also i changed line after a few second, which is good enough to clear some track, and not immediately after passing the truck. Also since the Ethios is coming to my lane, i had to change lane. And since there is an empty lane, i thought of not using the brake.
india008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 12:53   #11458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Drunk idiot on a suicide mission

I had to drive down off the road to miss this waste of oxygen, who was drunk out of his senses that he cannot see a big white SUV coming ahead and didn't even flinch to change direction.

A Tata Ace was behind me, who luckily sensed danger seeing me getting off the road and followed suit. Else he would have had to bear the blame of killing a moped guy.

https://Youtu.be/Ek72Hlv_-i8
Nice defensive driving and lucky to get clean shoulders without any parked vehicles or wrong side drivers. A moped guy overtaking a moving bus on a 2 lane dual highway is the ultimate stress test of Darwin's principle. Even if he survived today thanks to your defensive move, I don't expect that squid to live long

Last edited by venbas : 24th April 2021 at 12:55. Reason: Quote correction
venbas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 11:54   #11459
BHPian

Dont know whom to blame. The cars in my lane or the scooter guy who was probably out of his mind. The speeds were under 30 so everything was controllable. The auto in front of me created a huge blindspot due to which there was no chance for me to notice the scooter.
Xaos636 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 12:35   #11460
BHPian

The fellow also has not learned take one lane change at a time. You were watchful otherwise it could have ended up in an accident. Relatively slow movers going across the lanes causes trouble.
sreenivass is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed