Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2021, 03:02   #11581
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Indecisive, inattentive
I hate it when they just stop. Right where they are in the middle of the road.
Old 16th August 2021, 19:11   #11582
BHPian

Hate to post in this thread but I encountered one driver worthy of being mentioned here.
Yesterday I was returning back home from flag hoisting ceremony at my workplace. Spotted this guy driving very very rashly. Braking hard (screeching tyres), trying to squeeze thru narrow gaps, cutting across traffic. Even the female passenger sitting next to him was holding on for her life.
2 minutes later, found him surrounded on the roadside. He had just hit a family on a motorbike, child was injured and was bleeding. Thankfully the driver did his part of taking the family to hospital. But such rash driving inside city was irresponsible in the first place.

Shockingly the driver/owner seem to be a law professional yet, Illegal bullbar was installed on the car.

[ATTACH=IMG_20210816_140328.jpg]Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_20210816_140345.jpg[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_20210816_140328.jpg  

hgps is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 09:58   #11583
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to Bahuguna S R for sending this in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
I have been a very big follower of Team-BHP and I would like to share my near-miss experience which I encountered during my recent drive on Bangalore - Mangalore highway.

Last edited by SDP : 19th August 2021 at 14:41. Reason: As requested
ChiragM is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 10:07   #11584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgps View Post

Shockingly the driver/owner seem to be a law professional yet, Illegal bullbar was installed on the car.
The only purpose these bull bars are serving is to HIDE the number plates.
PapaBravo is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 12:32   #11585
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Quote:
I have been a very big follower of Team-BHP and I would like to share my near-miss experience which I encountered during my recent drive on Bangalore - Mangalore highway.
I didn't turn on the sound system, so I don't know if he did, but, when overtaking on the left (if someone is fixed in the right-hand lane, one has to) I do it with loud horn and flashing lights! Looking, and signalling, are afterthoughts to too many, like this guy who veers left before doing either.

I also appreciate it if people give me a quick beep when overtaking, especially on that "wrong" side.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 13:31   #11586
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I didn't turn on the sound system, so I don't know if he did, but, when overtaking on the left (if someone is fixed in the right-hand lane, one has to) I do it with loud horn and flashing lights! Looking, and signalling, are afterthoughts to too many, like this guy who veers left before doing either.

I also appreciate it if people give me a quick beep when overtaking, especially on that "wrong" side.
Thad sir, I agree with your point of honking as a precaution when you pass someone from their left side.
But is it really called overtaking if you don't end up in their lane eventually? In that case, I would rather prefer calling it lane discipline. After all, if vehicles in one lane are moving relatively slower than the other lane, then should we refer to the vehicles in faster lane as overtaking the slower ones? (This often happens inside cities, when a leading vehicle is slow for some reason).
srvm is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 14:00   #11587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
is it really called overtaking
In India, if we pass from the right of another vehicle, I call it overtaking. If passing from the left, I call it undertaking or at least better opportunities for that profession

Last edited by swissknife : 19th August 2021 at 14:01.
swissknife is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 14:13   #11588
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
But is it really called overtaking if you don't end up in their lane eventually? ...
Sure, as seen in the video, it is overtaking.

There is some stuff in the British highway code about not overtaking on the left, except when traffic is moving in lanes, and the left lane is moving faster.

We don't know, from the short video, in which lane the faster driver started, or ended up, but, especially on that open road, I'd still call it overtaking.

Would you call it overtaking if the slower vehicle had been in the correct, left, lane? I would.

But, whatever word we use, that erring driver is a) hogging the right-hand lane, forcing people to pass on his left, and b) not checking before moving to his left.

(insofar as we can make out from the short video)
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 16:33   #11589
Team-BHP Support

That chap notices an obstruction on the road (visible at 0:07 on the video), puts on blinkers and just moves over.

Unfortunately, too many people on our roads seem to believe putting on blinkers is a 'move over, coming through!' message that others in the vicinity ignore at their peril, not an 'I intend to move, will do when/if it's safe to do so'.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 17:54   #11590
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Unfortunately, too many people on our roads seem to believe putting on blinkers ...
Blinkers in the horse world, are the things that allow a horse to see only ahead, so it is not distracted by things to the side. It's also used as a metaphor for persons of limited vision.

Well mentioned! So true of too many drivers now, physically and metaphorically, they put on blinkers, refusing to look at anything that is not their direct path ahead. Of course, they don't use the car blinkers, because why should they let anybody else know what they are doing .
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 17:58   #11591
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Blinkers...
Wow! Talk about a word meaning two entirely different things, but somehow summing up the situation perfectly either way.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 07:49   #11592
Distinguished - BHPian

I was doing a good pace and was approaching this dzire. Guess he was focusing on the rear view mirror properly and gave way desperately, getting too close to the bus that he overtook.

I was already decelerating and would have still left him a lot of time to move over, which he didn't need me to.

How hard can it be to stick to your lane around a slight curve?

If it is hard, one needs to learn to drop speed and proceed.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 20th August 2021 at 21:04. Reason: Merged the posts. Thanks
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 20:02   #11593
Distinguished - BHPian

Noob driver's mistake and the lady rider's haste

We could also blame the Fortuner guy (local ex MLA's car) for merging into traffic like that. This lady though, in my opinion takes majority of the blame. She had a poor kid on her pillion. The white Ritz had a L sticker pasted on the windshield. First a man on his motorcycle overtakes the Ritz closely. Natural reaction must be moving towards the left. But the Ritz driver starts to move to the right.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-screenshot_20210821191523_video-player.jpg

The lady must have been tailing the motorcycle rider I think. She didn't even slow down a bit. She was just mere millimeters away from the Ritz and my celerio. I did a quick left so that she has some space to manage. She managed to not get hit by either of the cars, though her rear view mirror did hit the Ritz' ORVM.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-screenshot_20210821191535_video-player.jpg

Worse, she did not slow down even after that. She overtook the Ritz and hurled some abuses on the go and proceeded to ride fast. All this without even wearing a helmet. I felt sorry for that kid.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 21st August 2021 at 20:24.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 21:21   #11594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Worse, she did not slow down even after that. She overtook the Ritz and hurled some abuses on the go and proceeded to ride fast. All this without even wearing a helmet. I felt sorry for that kid.
Atrocious, to say the least. Seems like, she was chasing the bike guy. Poor kid, indeed.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 23:07   #11595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
We need a new thread for such colossal morons titles "Bad owners thread" since technically he is not driving.

There is no excuse for such callous behaviour.
Tesla should report such idiots to the authorities. Also bring in a software update so that the car drives straight to the police station with such morons in the backseat.
I strongly believe, self-driving cars should come with mandatory function where the cars won't drive by itself unless there is someone present in the driver's seat. And no, not a weight detection system through the seat. It should be a full-fledged face unlock and retina scanning type of system.
urbanzameendar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks