Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2021, 21:49   #11686
Kln
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Look at this gentleman spotted today at Ahmedabad. Stopped bang across the traffic in one of the worst crossroads. The city has gone to the dogs, with zero law enforcement. 7 traffic policemen just warming their government issued seats, seeing this and not giving a damn.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20211014_204233.jpg  

Kln is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 23:24   #11687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venbas View Post
Did not expect to be adding to this thread but had a close shave the last weekend and learnt some valuable lessons.

Background
1. I was travelling from Chennai to Musiri via Trichy a distance of ~350km. I was cruising happily on the Chennai Trichy NH45 road
I did not see any fault with the other drivers on the road but saw some very dangerous driving on your part. Your speed was way too high and that stunt with trying to overtake the truck before the SUV was a suicidal move.

This is something you dont do. How many extra seconds did you expect to gain of daylight? You should have left an hour earlier if the daylight was important.

Increasing speeds for a few extra minutes of daylight was a lost cause from the start. It is just like speeding because you are hungry to be able to eat a few seconds earlier.

You should be thanking higher powers that everybody survived this reckless driving. You escaped through sheer luck.

Last edited by Indian2003 : 14th October 2021 at 23:31.
Indian2003 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 12:46   #11688
BHPian

Quote:

On the contrary the SUV that moved from service road to fast lane in 2-3 seconds got 100% absolved in the Analysis(even a normal speed from my end would have resulted in a hard braking scenario) . I have been driving since 2003 and this would in the close shaves that I can count with fingers in single hand. All I wanted to convey was that a 99% defensive score might still not be enough on our roads. Sadly some of the backlash was so severe that I wish I had not uploaded it in the first place
I know you posted with good intentions and lessons for others as well.

But you are hell bent on blaming the Innova partly for your daredevilry. Yes it happens if you are in full on attack mode. A near miss or an accident (God forbid), and the tendency is to look around for passing the blame fully/partially on someone going about his business.

When in doubt/ when less than 100% sure, switch to defensive mode. This topic has been smashed to pulp on this forum.
Nalin1 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 20:51   #11689
BHPian

Cant understand what these bikers think. Simply jumping in-front of an incoming car, Is this how you cross the road. He clearly saw the car coming,still decided to jump in front.

india008 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 22:05   #11690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by india008 View Post
Cant understand what these bikers think.
I love the biker's confidence in your car's brakes and that you will stop or swerve in time.
adi.mariner is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 23:27   #11691
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On the contrary the SUV that moved from service road to fast lane in 2-3 seconds got 100% absolved in the Analysis(even a normal speed from my end would have resulted in a hard braking scenario) .
Innova was not at fault here. I had to watch the video few times to see if I was missing any error that the Innova could have made, couldn't find any. When the Innova joined the highway, the road was empty (save for that biker and the truck ahead) and the next car (yours) was far behind. It moved onto the fast lane gradually with the intention of overtaking the truck ahead.

The Innova is seen in the frame from 00:20 second onwards. You reached the truck at the 35th second. Those 15 seconds were enough for you to slow down, gauge the gap between the Innova and the truck before planning the overtake. Even if there was enough space ahead of the Innova, how would you know there wasn't another vehicle ahead of it, unless you slow down and see for yourself?

Remember never to go 'blind' into an overtake. Plan it before you execute it.

Last edited by ashis89 : 15th October 2021 at 23:28.
ashis89 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 02:16   #11692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
I did not see any fault with the other drivers on the road but saw some very dangerous driving on your part. Your speed was way too high and that stunt with trying to overtake the truck before the SUV was a suicidal move.

This is something you dont do. How many extra seconds did you expect to gain of daylight? You should have left an hour earlier if the daylight was important.

Increasing speeds for a few extra minutes of daylight was a lost cause from the start. It is just like speeding because you are hungry to be able to eat a few seconds earlier.

You should be thanking higher powers that everybody survived this reckless driving. You escaped through sheer luck.
Can we move to another topic. It's getting boring . In the original thread I clearly mentioned that major fault was with me and it was completely avoidable incident. Also I stated that my 99% defensive mode got spoiled by 1% of aggression(10-20km of aggressive driving in a 750km round trip) that too over a silly issue of maximizing daylight km coverage. The intention of posting the video was to precisely point that out and exhort for a 100% defensive score from TBHPians...not a post mortem of the same issue again and again and again and again

So no flogging the dead horse please.

Last edited by venbas : 18th October 2021 at 02:32.
venbas is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 07:41   #11693
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Absolutely!!

A lot has been said. I know 99% of us won't even share something where we are in the wrong. Funny everyone becomes a Saint and a driving expert at times like these. No offense to any of the individual BHPians who intended positively by posting tips, but for the collective mentality of flogging the one who errs.

Time to move on.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 18th October 2021 at 07:42.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 08:31   #11694
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can we move to another topic.

May I suggest reporting your own original post to get it deleted? Otherwise you will be getting inputs for years to come. It was just a piece of bad driving which is impossible not to do on Indian roads. However, just asking people to move on, will not get that result. Everyone likes a "behati ganga".
mayankk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 08:47   #11695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
I love the biker's confidence in your car's brakes and that you will stop or swerve in time.
This moronic behavior is shown by many two wheeler riders in city limits also ! They just come to a stop with their front wheel barely touching the line that your car will follow, some supreme idiots even stop right in front of the car and look at me weirdly. Like how stupid you are not stopping for these vvip on bikes !
Akshay6988 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 12:23   #11696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
drive as if everyone else on the road is an idiot. ---- I can keep my car safe from them.
With current scenario - Update this to below:
drive as if everyone else on the road is an idiot & is on a suicide mission.
I should keep myself & my car safe from them. (Unless he is a BHPian).

Quote:
Originally Posted by india008 View Post
Cant understand what these bikers think.
Dont try to understand anything. Simply follow what "drive2eternity" has mentioned - Everyone else is idiot (add my two cents - is on suicide mission).

It is you who has the moral duty to protect other idiots on road first. And then by doing this you automatically protect Yourself from all problems. .
Just remember the rule of the mob - Bigger car is always at fault.
saurabh2711 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 12:35   #11697

Quote:
Can we move to another topic. It's getting boring .
====
I am sorry to bring the horror again, just out of curiosity, I did not see the INNOVA again, when you joined the lane after that celebrated overtaking from the left. He should have appeared in the video, since he was not interrupted.

Did I miss something?
Old 18th October 2021, 15:47   #11698
BHPian

Returning home post a family outing on Dussehra, I came across this moron.

Driving when traffic is sparse one has to deal with such type of people.
OverKill is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 15:59   #11699
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
May I suggest reporting your own original post to get it deleted? Otherwise you will be getting inputs for years to come. ... ... ...
Thanks to those who are prepared to embarrass themselves for the sake of community wisdom. It's respected. Yes, there will be echoes for some time, but this thread moves fast, and the best advice is forget it, and then everyone else will.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 17:17   #11700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can we move to another topic. It's getting boring . Also I stated that my 99% defensive mode got spoiled by 1% of aggression(10-20km of aggressive driving in a 750km round trip) that too over a silly issue of maximizing daylight km coverage.
Do not mean to criticize you here, I'm sure you have gone through enough of that already, besides I am confident that all of us have done stupid things on the roads to be as "wise" as we are now BUT, I see that you mention wanting to maximize travelling within daylight. I understand this but I feel the reason why so many of us prefer travelling during the day, is because it is easier to see the horizon clearly thus allowing us to be more aware of things that may require evasive action on our part. Over several years of driving I have realized that there is no hard speed limit as such. It is this view ahead of us and even laterally, that ought to dictate our speeds. Secondly, I always try to go 25 percent slower when carrying passengers not just because they add to braking distances (which mostly is the case only with small cars), but because it just feels bad when something does happen and you end up feeling responsible for it. My intention here is to try and help you correlate the reasons behind why daylight is a precious commodity when travelling but how your driving in that particular clip did not display an understanding of why we all like to travel during the day. Anyway don't worry I'm sure you would have had your own key take aways from the incident and that you will also get the chance to roast one of us on this thread sometime in the future
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks