Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2021, 22:30   #11746
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: When EV driver goes berserk - My tryst with a Hyundai Kona

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
The availability of instant power on tap especially in the hands of untrained/hothead drivers could be a real problem to deal with in the future...
Just a case of two bad drivers trying to outdrive each other on a congested road, and has nothing to do with EVs or ICE-powered vehicles.
SS-Traveller is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 22:49   #11747
Team-BHP Support

It's just a case of:

"anybody driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone going faster than you is a maniac".

All of us feel the same way

Last edited by SmartCat : 24th October 2021 at 23:12.
SmartCat is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 22:54   #11748
Senior - BHPian

Two squids potentially ruining the day for many is what this video is all about. Lucky that both the squids are getting away with poor on-road skills. Hope the squids learn a bit and start respecting others before they kill someone.

Very poor driving from both.
VW2010 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 22:57   #11749
Senior - BHPian

Am sorry to say, what you've done is implicate yourself in the process. Apart from what d3mon has mentioned, look at around 1:40 when you are closing the space when the Kona has still hasn't started the overtaking move
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 23:02   #11750
Senior - BHPian

Have to agree with all the above comments. This is just the ego of two drivers at display. You both seem to have learned from the same school and there is nothing related to ICE or electric cars here.
padmrajravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 23:03   #11751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Sorry to say, before your judge the Kona driver's driving skills, please have a look at how aggressive you were being in trying to overtake him.

You had barely any space to overtake him in all instances, and he was under no obligation to slow down and let you overtake him.

Calm down on the road, man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Just a case of two bad drivers trying to outdrive each other on a congested road, and has nothing to do with EVs or ICE-powered vehicles.
I know I am putting my driving also in the line of fire, and I do agree it wasn't the best in this case. Maybe that's how the Kona driver felt. After all, there are two sides to a story right? Elaborating from my part, I'm not sure how there wasn't space in all instances. The first time I tried overtaking the Kona was at 0:27. The road was clear and he wasn't showing any signs of acceleration. I had ample space and you can see that I tried overtaking him just like I did other vehicles before that. I agree he is under no obligation to slow down, but accelerating while the car behind is trying to overtake is also rather dangerous right, and the rate of acceleration coming from the Kona also took me by surprise. It may not be clear from the video, but there was hard braking involved in the first instance itself when he swerved to the right. And after that you can see that I followed a safe distance from him, unsure of what he might do next. The second instance is around 1:02. I don't know if it's the fish eye effect of the lens that comes into play here, but there was some distance left for me to go through before reaching the blind part of the curve. At the third instance is where I could have been a bit more patient. But when the Kona slowed down, I tried to overtake and I had passed almost half of it when he steered towards the right and veered me off the road guiding me towards the pedestrian. By then I decided to veer off back into my lane and call it quits. What could I have done ideally? I should have decided not to overtake the Kona after the first instance itself. And with the feedback that I have gotten here, I am keen on incorporating this also into my driving style.

EDIT: Just saw all the comments from fellow bhpians. I think it is only fair to take down the video as it does give a unilateral approach to the entire scene when the overwhelming majority seems to think that I'm equally at fault. Hence, taking down the video. Thanks for the blunt, valuable feedback. And if bhpians feel that this thread does not serve any real purpose, do feel free to report to the mods to close down the thread.

Last edited by GKR9900 : 24th October 2021 at 23:09.
GKR9900 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 00:50   #11752
BHPian

I'm assuming you uploaded the video to educate fellow drivers and not just shame your colleague. If so, why not just leave the video up? No one's perfect and we can all learn. 😊

Also, now that points are made, hopefully people wont judt pile on.
Abhiram is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 07:34   #11753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhiram View Post
I'm assuming you uploaded the video to educate fellow drivers and not just shame your colleague. If so, why not just leave the video up? No one's perfect and we can all learn. 😊

Also, now that points are made, hopefully people wont judt pile on.
Yeah, you're right. But the video I uploaded had text in the background that was intended to run the audience through events that unfolded when looked through my eyes. In the light of generalised opinion here though it feels to me as an unfair thing to do to the Kona driver as he's not represented here. What I should do is upload a video without all the text and let people take a call based on that.
GKR9900 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 13:21   #11754
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

This is why everyone tailgates everyone in our country.

It's because of Moron's like these, who think it's their right to enter any lane as they please.

Lesson learnt - Maintaining a safe distance between the vehicle in front of you, makes other drivers think it's an opportunity for them to cut through.
OverKill is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 17:04   #11755
BHPian

A slightly off topic question,

BUT all of us have come across drivers who don't have a License to DRIVE but a License to FLY.

Mumbai is full of them especially since the traffic already takes a toll on your mental state. But have noticed most times these kind of unpredictable vehicles are by self driven car owners rather then employed drivers.

Especially whose first cars are the ones with a zippy pickup like honda city/ baleno and similar.

So the point being with all these gizmos , ADAS and all kind of features being added a nice and nifty thing would be to have an onboard dash cam with DVR similar to how the cop cars have in some western countries.

Because when an accident or major / minor happens the facts of the matter are always a gray area. So for example to have a 360 cam already working like in the MG Astor plugged into the DVR with a turn off / on feature will go a long way in self introspection as well as proving a point in case matter turns nasty.
mave547 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 17:54   #11756
BHPian

8th October, I and wifey were driving from Bangalore to Bhubaneshwar.
This was on day 2 of our journey (split 60:40 in km), near Andhra-Odisha border (Ichchapuram area).

A villager randomly changed direction from fast lane to a cut in the median, intending to join the service road.
We were driving at our usual 95-100 kph speeds.

One must always anticipate the worst. Believe you me, I was actually thinking what if this guy switches to the middle lane? And he did, but he intended to switch not just one lane, but three!

I guess that awareness, not too fast speeds, great brakes, ABS, Michelins all combined together and saved us!

I didn't even curse the guy, wife was a bit mad and said "Is he mad?" and we continued further. Yes, the adrenaline spike took 5 min to tone down to normal.

Be safe out there everyone. Cheers!
Divya Sharan is offline   (96) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 19:26   #11757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
One must always anticipate the worst. Believe you me, I was actually thinking what if this guy switches to the middle lane? And he did, but he intended to switch not just one lane, but three!

I guess that awareness, not too fast speeds, great brakes, ABS, Michelins all combined together and saved us!
Wow! What a close shave! And what a stupid rider
Agree with the above factors that were in your favour that day.

I felt the bus in the left lane was too fast to be entering the service road like that. What if someone (say a biker) was in the service lane in the blind spot of the merging bus? Usually, this sort of merging into service lane keeps me nervous as I'm very aware of the huge blind spot and I tend to take it very slow giving ample time for other folks on the road about my intended merging maneuver.
srvm is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 23:44   #11758
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverKill View Post
Lesson learnt - Maintaining a safe distance between the vehicle in front of you, makes other drivers think it's an opportunity for them to cut through.
Wrong lesson learnt. Keep an eye out for these people, swallow your ego and tap your brake a little in advance, and let them into your lane. A hookup between his rear bumper and your front bumper will have expensive consequences for you. And if it's a bigger vehicle muscling its way across your nose, this is the result...

The car collected an expensive scrape, nothing happened to the dumper truck.
SS-Traveller is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 07:32   #11759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
A villager randomly changed direction from fast lane to a cut in the median, intending to join the service road.
We were driving at our usual 95-100 kph speeds.
This video is proof beyond doubt that there exists human beings who have ZERO grey matter between their ears.
longhorn is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 09:49   #11760
BHPian

I might be overthinking, bit he has a bamboo gripped and raised in his left hand. And it looks like he was trying to get you to stop rather than change lanes.

Or maybe he was just a massive idiot driving one handed on a highway.
Bluengel180 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks