Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2021, 19:55   #11851
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

3 incidents from today

1. Irresponsible CISF / Highway patrol behaviour

I was joining onto the highway from a restaurant. I heard siren blaring and saw a police tempo traveller passing by from the rear. It was carrying half a dozen of CISF personnel.

The video starts at the point where the tempo is ahead of the barricades, and a CISF jawan starts to pull back both the barricades to make enough space for the XXXL GoI cargo that was following.

There were 4 vehicles in the convoy including the large rig. Once they all passed, no one cared to place back the barricades in their original position. Mind you, that location is am accident prone area with a 4 way intersection to villages nearby.

I don't blame the CISF guy though. Having to displace all those barricades (believe me, there are too many on that stretch) is a very physical task.

But shouldn't the highway patrol join such convoys carrying sensitive government cargo? It is a protocol to accompany VIP convoys until their jurisdiction limit ends on the highway. If the highway patrol joined them, atleast they could have placed those barricades back in their position. Well, they would have parked happily under some tree shade and enjoyed their day, as usual.

2. Doesn't wear a helmet, wouldn't give a heck to check the rear view mirror before overtaking on the highways

3. How impatient should one have to be, to overtake an already slow moving car, just to cut me off to park like an idiot

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 18th December 2021 at 19:57.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th December 2021, 20:37   #11852
Senior - BHPian

@PrasannaDhana I differ on your observation re CISF personal. He seems to be rushing to his vehicle after moving the barricades. Apparently he was traveling in pilot vehicle to make sure this cargo travel smoothly. However, you were on ground & know the reality better.

Coming to other two videos, I fully agree with observations re 2-wheeler riders. It seems easy money & cheap prices have resulted in any Tom, Dick & Harry (mind you that's a slang) can be mobile. No doubt the traffic sense is going South in all corners.
Old 18th December 2021, 20:48   #11853
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
@PrasannaDhana I differ on your observation re CISF personal. He seems to be rushing to his vehicle after moving the barricades. Apparently he was traveling in pilot vehicle to make sure this cargo travel smoothly. However, you were on ground & know the reality better.
I did mention in my post that I don't blame the CISF personnel. My concern was the absence of local highway patrol who should have placed back the barricades back in their positions.

The CISF personnel was running between the pilot van and barricades at every stop. Perhaps I should have not included CISF in the title.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2021, 20:52   #11854
anb
BHPian

Ertiga is trying to overtake a truck on a blind turn. Seeing the slowing moving truck, I anticipated that someone will do such a move and slowed down in advance.

anb is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th December 2021, 09:02   #11855
Distinguished - BHPian

Absolute disregard for the double yellow median line

PrasannaDhana is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th December 2021, 10:19   #11856
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Absolute disregard for the double yellow median line
What is double yellow line? Seems like the Road Contractor is a CSK fan. He bled yellow all over.
Old 19th December 2021, 11:02   #11857
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
What is double yellow line? Seems like the Road Contractor is a CSK fan. He bled yellow all over.
A double yellow line is an indication that overtaking is strictly prohibited.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 11:34   #11858
anb
BHPian

A lorry is trying to overtake another lorry. I couldn't move to the left as an Auto was parked on the white line and auto driver was standing inside the white line.

A KSRTC bus is overtaking a car which is already overtaking a lorry. I have to move outside the yellow line to give way.

anb is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 12:43   #11859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
A lorry is trying to overtake another lorry. I couldn't move to the left as an Auto was parked on the white line and auto driver was standing inside the white line.
A KSRTC bus is overtaking a car which is already overtaking a lorry. I have to move outside the yellow line to give way.
Wow!
Where are these videos taken? Is it Kerala? If so, do solid lines have no meaning in this part of the country?
[I have never driven in Kerala myself, hence asking]

P.S: Can you adjust your dashcam to point a little lower?
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 18:13   #11860
Distinguished - BHPian

I thought the bus driver would merge back in the lane when I first saw him on my lane. Then only did I realize he was overtaking multiple vehicles at the same time.

He must have really believed that it is an one way road or should be really dumb!

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 21st December 2021 at 18:21.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 18:38   #11861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post

He must have really believed that it is an one way road or should be really dumb!

https://Youtu.be/2uvxGg1SRb4
That's unbelievable!! If the bus number is visible in the footage, I request you to lodge a formal complaint against the driver before he murders someone!
nagr22 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 19:09   #11862
Distinguished - BHPian

Some clueless pedestrians piss me off. But this is an exception. The poor old lady should have been accompanied by someone when out on public roads. Incase she has no one to accompany her, that's worse. She wasn't even able to check the road before crossing it and was unfazed by the honking.

OT- Just another clip, of Nagaraja taking time crossing the road.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 22nd December 2021 at 19:10.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 20:32   #11863
Senior - BHPian

^^ Haha the Nagraja thing happened twice to me up North. Once in Punjab while driving down the Una-Anandpur Sahib road & secondly on Faridabad near Badkal Crossing. Luckily didn't had to wait for them.
Old 23rd December 2021, 11:23   #11864
BHPian

They say every picture tells a story. Here is a reflection of us, driving on the wrong side on a one way bridge, a few metres down a motorcyclist on the pavement and a further few metres away, law enforcement stands.

Duckdoc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 22:39   #11865
Distinguished - BHPian

Why it is always better to drop speeds around blind curves -

I was driving my Storme on the highway. There was this curve, the left lane was occupied by a long multi axle lorry, which obviously blocked the line of vision as of what was ahead in the right lane.

I proceeded with the overtaking maneuver and was surprised to see highway department people working on the right lane, with cones set just 20 meters away from their LCV which was parked on the right lane.

I have always been extremely aware of the dynamics, dimensions and high speed behaviors of all my primary cars and storme was no different. I judged that the gap was just about adequate and I was very sure I can make that overtake eventlessly without startling the lorry driver. I managed to complete the overtake safely.

If I had misjudged the gap, Worst case scenario, I would have popped off a couple of plastic cones. But I knew I would not. And my father was as confident with me as we kept continuing our conversation normally.

Reaching home, I did think about this overtake and whether going so precise on an overtake maneuver is necessary at highway speeds. It is not! I can blame the highway authorities for working around a blind curve without warning cones set up atleast 100 meters ahead. But let's not put the blame elsewhere. So what else could have I done to not have experienced this situation in the first place? Slamming the brakes after seeing the obstacle ahead isn't a good plan as the vehicles coming behind you can find that as a nasty surprise.

I could have dropped the cruising speeds before the turn.

Note to self (and sharing this here for the benefit of fellow enthusiasts)-
No matter how experienced you are, no matter how well you know your car's dimensions and handling dynamics, a little lesser speed around curves where you have low visibility of the road ahead can turn out to be very very beneficial at the end of the day.

Cheers

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 23rd December 2021 at 22:53.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (23) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks