Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2022, 20:15   #11926
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Overtaking from the left when there is no gap and avoidance almost made me hit the median. With vehicles behind, sudden braking was not an option.

Duckdoc is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 19th March 2022, 20:42   #11927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckdoc View Post
Overtaking from the left when there is no gap and avoidance almost made me hit the median. With vehicles behind, sudden braking was not an option.
What was that? Few seconds of wait, he had a clear road, ahead. I wonder, what they gain from these silly manoevours.
JMaruru is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th March 2022, 21:05   #11928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
What was that? Few seconds of wait, he had a clear road, ahead. I wonder, what they gain from these silly manoevours.
Your post made me look at the back camera videos and saw the same guy do this.

Apologies to Mods, should probably have been in my previous post, sorry.
Duckdoc is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 00:20   #11929
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Overtaking from the left when there is no gap
Is he dreaming that he is still on the bike?
Quote:
Your post made me look at the back camera videos and saw the same guy do this.
Equally crazy. Surely it is far too fast to put two wheels on the dirt? Sadly, I'm guessing this guy has done it before and will do it again. One day it may go lethally wrong.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 12:26   #11930
Senior - BHPian

(First 15 secs)
Wagon R jumps lanes before a flyover starts. I had a bus behind me and I had to honk and honk before I slowed down to prevent any incident with the bus at the rear.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 13:46   #11931
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
https://Youtu.be/9KhWOi08tCo
(First 15 secs)
Wagon R jumps lanes before a flyover starts. I had a bus behind me and I had to honk and honk before I slowed down to prevent any incident with the bus at the rear.
At least he should have moved to the left and backup alerting the drivers back. But this is insane and really a bad driver.
Old 20th March 2022, 14:42   #11932
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
At least he should have moved to the left and backup alerting the drivers back. But this is insane and really a bad driver.
It's not unusual to make a mistake and miss an upcoming exit. Sometimes the last-minute cut may be feasible, but only if there is next-to-no other traffic.

Moving to the left and backing up? I'd say, no. That is as bad as cutting across.

What to do? Suck it up and proceed to next exit. Re-route... or go somewhere else instead. Seriously, it's simple: there's a price to be paid for wrong turns and missed exits. They have cost me many, many miles and km in two countries.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 10:56   #11933
Senior - BHPian

Found this hero on Nayandahalli ORR, Bangalore.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20220321_173211.jpg
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20220321_173214.jpg

Last edited by sandsun7 : 22nd March 2022 at 11:21.
sandsun7 is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 18:22   #11934
BHPian

A few examples of bad judgement & carelessness seen while driving on Chennai's roads.

asmr is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 10:51   #11935
BHPian

I am possibly on the wrong side of this thread by being the bad driver myself.

I had an (lucky?) escape from what could have been a nightmare. I had parked the car (rental Innova) in a by-lane facing the main road and gone for dinner. Came back after an hour. I was waiting for about a min while the kids were putting on the seat belts and settling in. The car was off the whole time.

I had a delivery tempo parked ahead of me and I would have had to reverse the car to go in opposite direction as shown in the photo (red car was mine). As I started the car and turned on the headlight, the blue car behind me started honking and flashing incessantly. I was unsure why and thought may be a tire had a puncture or something similar. One guy on the right side of the road saw the commotion and came running to my window. He told me a drunk guy has passed out behind my car near the wall (highlighted in green). He may have gone there to take a leak but passed out.

Had I not been warned, I would have definitely run over this guy in reverse and would have had to face a possible legal issue. I came out and profusely thanked the guy who informed me and the guy in blue car.

I was angry (on myself as well as the drunk guy), upset and unsettled by thinking of what could have happened. I never had a habit of checking all 4 sides of car before getting in. Does that make me a bad driver?

Lesson learnt though. I would always check all four sides before getting in for rest of my driving life and I don't think I would ever be able to forget this.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-pancham.png  

Last edited by theflyingguy : 25th March 2022 at 10:55. Reason: grammar correction
theflyingguy is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 11:15   #11936
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflyingguy View Post
Does that make me a bad driver?
We all learn from our own and others' experiences. It is this forum that taught me to go round the car when getting into it, making sure I'm aware of what's happening on all four sides.

So in this case, assuming I'm coming along the footpath from the main road at the top of your diagram I'd walk to the rear of the car, cross to the road side between your and the blue cars, and only then entered the driver's seat.
binand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 11:33   #11937
BHPian

Quote:
Lesson learnt though. I would always check all four sides before getting in for rest of my driving life and I don't think I would ever be able to forget this.
Thank you for sharing this. Don't beat yourself down.

I tried imagining the situation if I were there in your place and I don't think I would have either. Thanks to you, I'll be a slightly better driver from today.

Related question: Would the reverse parking sensors beep if someone is lying down on the ground next to the bumper? It's important to know that. In your case, I'm assuming there were no sensors since it was a rental car and I think it would have been a base variant?

Last edited by krishnakumar : 25th March 2022 at 11:35.
krishnakumar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 16:43   #11938
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am possibly on the wrong side of this thread by being the bad driver myself.

... ... ...

Thank you. Absolutely, own mistakes and lessons learned have a place here. They can be among the most valuable posts.

I hope to learn from your example. It is something I don't always do. Even when taking the car out from the house, it is important. A couple of years ago, I went out with a flat tyre: I should have checked. Luckily I was soon stopped by a helpful biker, and went very slowly straight to the tyre shop.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 01:26   #11939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
A few examples of bad judgement & carelessness seen while driving on Chennai's roads.
Post-lockdown the traffic in Chennai has become very worse. Everybody is in a hurry to arrive at their destinations. I've been in the same spot as you. Definitely gotta be extra careful in Ashok Nagar. (where the Ritz cuts you ahead) My roots horn helps me a bit in situations like these. I usually travel from Anna Nagar to Tambaram in the weekends and get pissed by the idiot drivers in the route. Now that there is camera's installed in most of the traffic signals, commuters atleast stop at redlight now.
5haS_0209 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 06:34   #11940
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5haS_0209 View Post
Post-lockdown the traffic in Chennai has become very worse. Everybody is in a hurry to arrive at their destinations. I've been in the same spot as you. Definitely gotta be extra careful in Ashok Nagar.
Absolutely true. It's definitely worse. I have learned from these experiences too. These days, I stick to the right most lane 3/4ths of the way towards the metro pillars and move to the left only some distance before the right turn towards KK Nagar and that too on the right side of the median. Saves a lot of blood pressure.

I try to stay in my lane (usually the middle one) most of the time. But it seems that "going with the flow" would definitely mean weaving in and out of lanes. It is even expected.

The sad part is that most of these are cars driven by their owners and not drivers (the Creta was a driver driven one). One is left wondering as to what sort of road sense these "educated" folks have.

Quote:

https://Youtu.be/2w_h_msZhBQ
This is just brainless, reckless driving on the part of the Swift! Risking everything themselves and putting others at risk unnecessarily!

Too bad that they get away with it. Some even feel proud about it, like this guy I met some days back. He was bragging about how he drives so fast that he leaves others in the dust.

Last edited by vb-saan : 26th March 2022 at 11:13. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks