Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2007, 09:12   #301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em: through rear view mirrors ( sometimes we spot them sometimes they spots us)
I Have already spotted one " One who looks at the rear view mirror and drives
Old 13th August 2007, 12:28   #302

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Very true, I agree. This is especially the case for those cars that have an integrated headlight/turn lamp assembly... which happens to be nearly every car today. An exception that I can think of is the old M800 (in the '90s), which had the turn signal mounted in the bumper.
Having agreed that Hi beam is a mess in the city drive, The question that keeps lingering in my mind is how can I avoid the glare of the High beam coming from opposite.
Many people think that If your high beam will cut the high beam coming from opposite and hence decrease glare.

Personally I dun agree with My High Beam vs your High Beam funda, Probably few of the ways through which we can avoid glare could be
1. Use of anti Glare specs/those who dun wear specs can look for plain anti glared glasses(My otician says these help in reducing glare by 60-70%).
2. Tilt your head and avoid line of sight (high Beam)
3. Blink your eyes to wash off glare.

I have heard about the windscreens having antiglare coating etc but not sure about the same.
Old 13th August 2007, 14:12   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockingstart View Post
Having agreed that Hi beam is a mess in the city drive, The question that keeps lingering in my mind is how can I avoid the glare of the High beam coming from opposite.
Many people think that If your high beam will cut the high beam coming from opposite and hence decrease glare.

Personally I dun agree with My High Beam vs your High Beam funda, Probably few of the ways through which we can avoid glare could be
1. Use of anti Glare specs/those who dun wear specs can look for plain anti glared glasses(My otician says these help in reducing glare by 60-70%).

I have heard about the windscreens having antiglare coating etc but not sure about the same.
Keep the WS clean, Hi beam glare is more dangerous on a non lighted stretch.
Old 13th August 2007, 15:51   #304
BHPian

Quote:

I am not a big fan of the anti glare stuff.. I feel it does not have a sufficient advantage (IMHO)

Blinking eyes.. hmm.. never tried that.

Another issues sometimes is the guy coming up behind you on a high beam. The beam gets reflected on the side and rearview mirrors if the bloke gets his angle right (and they usually do).. Can be extremely dangerous especially near turns. (I know disturbing the mirrors is an option but sometimes there just isn't time) and what is worse is that the guy coming from the front can at least be requested to lower his beams but how do you deal with the guy at the back :((
Old 13th August 2007, 16:52   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreak View Post
I am not a big fan of the anti glare stuff.. I feel it does not have a sufficient advantage (IMHO)

Another issues sometimes is the guy coming up behind you on a high beam. The beam gets reflected on the side and rearview mirrors if the bloke gets his angle right (and they usually do).. Can be extremely dangerous especially near turns. (I know disturbing the mirrors is an option but sometimes there just isn't time) and what is worse is that the guy coming from the front can at least be requested to lower his beams but how do you deal with the guy at the back :((
I agree with you "freak" ..well the best one can do is give way to such nerds
Old 13th August 2007, 17:37   #306
Senior - BHPian

Along with Hi beam i have seen many nut heads drving with "fog" lamps.
Old 13th August 2007, 19:10   #307
Senior - BHPian

Here goes my exp' with a lady on friday while driving to office.

Joined MG Road from Dickenson Road(Manipal bldg) and was driving towards Richmond Road.
I was doing a fair speed of about 30-35kmph on this stretch since the road was empty.

Now a lady in her late 40's drives into MG Road from Primrose Road. She has absolutely no regards to on-coming traffic, was so busy that she forgot to notice on-coming traffic from Trinity Circle.

Barges into the road and takes a left. I was driving thru when she joined the road,I brake and honk aloud, she turns around a little dis-oriented and shouts "poda" and I dint catch the rest.

My guess is that she said "Poda Naaye" .

Followed the car till Shoolay circle from where I had to turn left towards Hosur Road.
All through I found that she jumped lanes, has been honking mad, no use of RVM's though the car had both left and right, indicators seemed to be a fancy device for her.

I can understand if she had some emergency, but then this isn't how someone drives.
Me and my friend had a hearty laugh and drove on.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 13th August 2007 at 19:13.
Old 13th August 2007, 19:26   #308
BHPian

auto beam cut-off device?

Quote:
Personally I dun agree with My High Beam vs your High Beam funda,
Hi beam war is just a tit-for-tat act, indulged in rather foolishly by some, because instead one, you then have two blind drivers coming at each other.

I use the dipper once or twice to alert the oncoming vehicle or atleast to shame him/her to lower the beam. Sometimes that works. If not, I slow down and go as far left as possible. Tough when you are driving on unlit highways or when a one eyed monster is coming at you with his beam on high.

In an auto show in Mumbai, I once saw a device which automatically lowers the beam whenever in such situations. It could be fitted in any vehicle. Costed about 7K for a car. Till they make such devices mandatory, we will have to suffer from momentary blindness.
Old 13th August 2007, 19:52   #309
Senior - BHPian

I have come to the conclusion that the safest vehicles to drive on Indian roads are those trucks where you sit high up (no not 407's or SUV trucks...they are not safe enough) and do not have to suffer the foolishness and narrow-mindedness of our fellow country-men/women/children and those of us who are neither. I see this phenomenon often in Delhi where people just do not bother to stop at red-lights if they located in places that have slightly lesser traffic and no cops on the radar.

A truck can mean that all these busybodies can smash against it after jumping red, yellow lights yet the truck can move on. And absolutely safe for transporting the family etc even without expensive add-ons like airbags etc. lol
Old 13th August 2007, 19:55   #310

Tooo Good Topic....

Guys in Chennai there are a group of people who are called the Share Auto Drivers. Thjey have started to rule the roads. You can find them charging at you from no where. They take a hughe number of crowd in their Share Auto and when a cummutor wants to get down he just informs the driver and drivers are people who think that Customer Satisfaction is the best service. They are least bothered about the people who travel along with them on the roads... You can even find them using the right indicator and parking their vehicle towards the left side of the road.

Goshhh something has to be done about these people!
Old 13th August 2007, 22:04   #311
Senior - BHPian

yesterday, at rajinder nagar, new delhi, when i was going to the class(walk) i saw 2 women, 1-swift, another alto, fighting each other..i watched them for a minute and left..
Really, women are lagging behind..
Old 13th August 2007, 23:10   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em: through rear view mirrors ( sometimes we spot them sometimes they spots us)

spotting a bad driver hmm..
1: Karnataka registered Yellow plated white Tata Indica, Toyota Qualis, Tata sumo. May be not always true but most of them for sure!
2: Car going slow in middle and wont leave space for other vehicles to move from side.
3: Car standing in Signal with highbeam, foglamps on!
4: Car behind you with Head lights dim & dip in crazy succession, Even when no place to go!
5: Car's with every known brand sticker on the driver side door.
Old 14th August 2007, 12:11   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreak View Post

One thing i always do when on highways. FIRST and foremost, NEVER look the the high beam in the opposite direction directly. One look and you could go blind in the next few seconds. Next assess the road and see if u have enough place to go and follow the lanes on the left, with the opposite vehicle only from the corner of the eye.
Old 14th August 2007, 13:02   #314
BHPian

Right approach Bang. I try to peer into the darkness that lies beyond the glare, and as you mentioned, move to the left as far as possible. What is most irritating is that even drivers of swank cars with halogen tend to drive with the high beam. Truckers, I can still excuse their ignorance, but these people?
Old 14th August 2007, 13:36   #315
BHPian

They may be bad drivers - but do our cars bear the brunt?

Dont know if my observation is true - the bad driver's car hardly gets bumped! It is us who get our car bumped as we take preventive/ frustrated steps to avoid them!
Whenever I sit in my friend's car(who belongs to the category of bad drivers), I am on my toes and pushing the foot board of the passenger seat in fear and frustration. But not a bump on his car! He may get screamed at and if some of the glares he gets could cut, he and his car would be in million pieces by now.
On the other hand twice I have been bumped in the rear for braking suddenly to avoid colliding in to the car in front.
Does anyone agree?
Mahesh
maheshshanmugam is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed