Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2022, 14:39   #12046
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Spotted this WagonR trying to overtake multiple vehicles together while fully occupying the opposite lane on the Madikeri-Mysore Highway.

I don’t understand why someone would risk their life to overtake a few vehicles only to get ahead by a couple of minutes!

After this section got completed, they again did the same thing for another long stretch occupying the opposite lane, forcing oncoming traffic offroad. So it wasn’t just this being bad luck or stuck there by accident. It is a clear behaviour.

Icing on the cake - car had an L board on!
krishnakumar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 21:29   #12047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
On the contrary, the SUV driver has been patiently following the slow-moving tempo for a while (the length of the video) on a two-lane road without a divider and constant incoming traffic, while waiting for a gap in incoming traffic. The Alto has aggressively overtaken via the incoming lane and then tries to swerve back into the lane of the SUV without any indicator or any sort.

It's the Alto car that is putting everyone at risk here. This is a common problem seen on such divider-less roads, with several 'F1' drivers trying to jump a long line of cars that are stuck behind a slow moving vehicle.
Thanks Ninjatalli for correcting this person, who doesn't know how to drive himself and blames others.
I had shared this video with Cyberabad police also and they posted it on their channel and did not blame me ( the driver of the white car)
A link to that video:

A peek into this person's YouTube channel and we see so many rash driving videos.
One such video where he makes a dangerous overtaking manoeuvre in fog at 2.07 mins. and overtakes two cars at the same time.

Ironically, the same dashcam which is used by this youtuber is used to capture a wagonR which is trying to overtake multiple cars at the same time and posted just above my post. What a hypocytical world we live in.

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 13th June 2022 at 21:58.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 23:10   #12048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
A typical example of bad and dangerous driving

SUV driver puts the lives of passengers of Alto car, his own car and S cross at risk while trying to overtake through left on a 2 lane road.
I really thought you were pointing out the Alto to be at fault only to find the blame to surprisingly fall on the car with dashcam. I mean, isn’t it like obvious that the fault is with Alto? Am I missing something?

Let’s look at the key observations:
  1. It’s a really narrow road to be doing an overtaking manoeuvre in the first place
  2. The Alto crosses the SUV and proceeds to overtake the goods vehicle as well in such a narrow road
  3. The Alto clearly had no visibility of the S-Cross until they came face to face with it and decides to abandon the manoeuvre midway and merge back
  4. No indication of wanting to merge back (no point indicating as well because the overtaking shouldn’t have been done in the first place)
  5. Also, looks like the car’s brake lamps aren’t working? Surprise surprise!

Everything put together, a car cuts in where it shouldn’t have, abandons the move and tries to merge back in without indication and having no brake lamps. I’m not sure how the SUV is at fault here, if anything good save to not rear end that aggressive Alto. From the video it is clear that the SUV is not trying to overtake from left but swerving to avoid a rear end.

Also, it’s not F1 to say that the SUV should’ve conceded track position because the car that overtook has crossed full car length.
krishnakumar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 03:38   #12049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
I really thought you were pointing out the Alto to be at fault only to find the blame to surprisingly fall on the car with dashcam
He thought that I (the dash cam car) was trying to overtake the Alto from left, which is so far from reality.

Firstly, this is a colony street and not even a road. I never attempt to overtake another car in this street when I am in Safari. When I am on a motorcycle, the case is different.

I was happily following this goods vehicle from half a kilometer already when this alto overtook me. Without trying to merge back, and being blinded by the steepness of the road, it continued to overtake the goods vehicle also, to find a S cross right in its path. It panicked and stopped in a position which blocked my way also.

As there was no place to go for me, I slammed the brakes and quickly moved a little left to avoid any vehicle following me to rear end me. There was no intention to overtake this alto, but yes, I got a balcony position to reprimand its driver and his silly move.

The learning was straight forward: Do not overtake when the path ahead is not clear or visible.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th June 2022 at 15:04. Reason: spacing for improved readability
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 09:48   #12050
BHPian

Quote:
A typical example of bad and dangerous driving

Alto car slows down as an oncoming vehicle approaches. The slow moving SUV driver accelerates hard and try to squeeze through the left side on a 2 lane road for no reason.

SUV driver puts the lives of passengers of Alto car, his own car and S cross at risk while trying to overtake through left on a 2 lane road.
The fault here lies with the Alto driver and not the SUV.

At the 16-second mark, Alto had completed the overtaking maneuver and could very easily merge back into the lane. But instead chose to overtake the commercial vehicle (which was already partly on the other lane due to the wrongly parked car) without having visibility. Due to his urgency, he put several vehicles at risk.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th June 2022 at 15:04. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Meph1st0 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 10:38   #12051
Senior - BHPian

On the mini bypass road, Calicut, Kerala.

binand is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 22:59   #12052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
One such video where he makes a dangerous overtaking manoeuvre in fog at 2.07 mins. and overtakes two cars at the same time...

Ironically, the same... .
My heart was in the mouth just by watching. This is almost criminal, putting others at great risk just for some adrenaline rush. Hope somebody sends it to the police.
Old 15th June 2022, 10:02   #12053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The slow moving SUV driver accelerates hard and try to squeeze through the left side on a 2 lane road for no reason.
The Alto was badly driven and at fault. But the car with the dashcam would have seen that the Alto is being rash, there is a vehicle coming from the opposite direction, and the Alto would have to cut back to its left. Anticipating that, the dashcam-car should have yielded to the Alto for the safety of everyone.

Two wrongs do not make one right.
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 21:08   #12054
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Disaster waiting to happen

Last edited by Turbanator : 16th June 2022 at 21:42. Reason: Moved from accident threads.
Sarvodaya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 00:44   #12055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
The Alto was badly driven and at fault. But the car with the dashcam would have seen that the Alto is being rash, there is a vehicle coming from the opposite direction, and the Alto would have to cut back to its left. Anticipating that, the dashcam-car should have yielded to the Alto for the safety of everyone.

Two wrongs do not make one right.
So many assumptions:

1. Driver of dashcam would have spotted that Alto is rash! He is not God. It was a normal overtaking manoeuvre that Alto made. It was only after he started overtaking the other vehicle, that he hinted at being a bad/rash driver.

2. He would have seen the other car! Sorry, it was Alto who spotted that car first. The dash cam driver was blinded by the steepness and goods vehicle, just like Alto. If he would have seen that another car is coming in Alto's way, he would have been well prepared and didn't have to slam the brakes.

3. Should have yielded to Alto! He would have happily done that, but unfortunately Alto never wanted to come back to the correct lane. It was executing its plan to overtake two vehicles at the same time. Alto had ample space to come back to the correct lane but it never bothered.

How I know all this? Because I was driving the dashcam car.

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 17th June 2022 at 00:45.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 08:04   #12056
KPR
BANNED

Courtesy: Goa News Hub
KPR is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 09:43   #12057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
As per latest news, he's been arrested. Aaand he's from Delhi!

Quote:
A resident of Delhi has been booked by the police for driving a car on Anjuna on Thursday. A case has been registered against Lalit Kumar Dayal, a native of Mongolpuri, Delhi, for endangering the life of the general public and tourists on the beach by driving a car on the beach, police said.

An FIR under Section 279 (driving on public way and endangering life) and Section 336 (refers to the punishmentbwith imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to three months, or with fine, which may extend to Rs 250, or with both) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) has been registered.

A report against the car owner Sangeeta Gavadalkar, a resident of Shetye Wado Mapusa, has been submitted to the RTO, Mapusa, police said.

Link
GeneralJazz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 09:46   #12058
BHPian

Saw this video on our S-cross WA group. I think this do not fit this thread. Its more of arrogance than accident. That dog knew better.

Pray the insurance do not accept the claim and these entitled learn their lesson.

Quote:
https://Youtu.be/F-R5mwgu4Hs
girishv is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 17:53   #12059
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Courtesy: Goa News Hub ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
I think this do not fit this thread. Its more of arrogance than accident. That dog knew better.
Certainly. Not an accident, but dumb stupidity (as well as arrogance).

There is the danger to the beach, the environment, etc. But also, nobody in their right mind would expose their car to salt water like that. Even if disaster hadn't struck, they could never have got it all out and corrosion would happen in time.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 18:43   #12060
BHPian

Quote:
Driver did not like the Creta and he followed this proverb

Quote:
It is better to rust out than wear out.
-- Edwin Markham
May the Creta Rust In Pieces
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks