Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2008, 15:28   #436
BHPian

Two bikers driving next to each other and discussing a very important issue - not sure if it is already covered in this thread.
Old 4th September 2008, 16:03   #437
BHPian

No too far back, there was this lady who was driving a scorpio with her child sitting next to her. All of a sudden she decided to stop and block two lanes of traffic, I thought that something serious had happened, when I saw, to my utter amazement, she had stopped to feed her kid !!!!!!!!
Old 4th September 2008, 16:13   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknophobia View Post
No too far back, there was this lady who was driving a scorpio with her child sitting next to her. All of a sudden she decided to stop and block two lanes of traffic, I thought that something serious had happened, when I saw, to my utter amazement, she had stopped to feed her kid !!!!!!!!

Was the kid in a baby seat ? Just wondering, because its very rare to see kids in baby seat in BLR.
Old 4th September 2008, 18:33   #439
BHPian

I was reading this thread and one thought struck me - how do we spot a good driver?
Old 4th September 2008, 19:08   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
I was reading this thread and one thought struck me - how do we spot a good driver?
A good driver is one that doesn't get in my way, accords me the opportunity to overtake him, does not honk at me, does not think of overtaking me and tries to salute me whenever I look into my RVMs!!
Have I missed out a few points?
Old 4th September 2008, 22:41   #441
BANNED

Quote:
1. You wont have to. He would have already spotted you.
2. You cant. He would keep a good distance from you.
Old 4th September 2008, 23:05   #442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A good driver comes and goes.. you won't notice!
Old 4th September 2008, 23:36   #443
Senior - BHPian

Uncle driving - explained

There’s this one kind of bad drivers, which is the funniest kind too, and they perform a type of driving which I’d like to call as “Uncle Driving”.

Don’t be under the impression that only very old people behind the wheel of a Premier Padmini do this. You can even spot young chaps wearing sunglasses doing this behind the wheels of even Skodas or Civics!

How ‘Uncle Driving’ can be defined? Well, here is my explanation.

1) While the car moves from standstill, engine is at max revs, clutch will be released very slowly. This is to forcibly avoid stalling the engine.

2) Gear shifting happens in the following pattern:
a. 1st to 2nd – 2 Kmph
b. 2nd to 3rd - 8-12 Kmph
c. 3rd to 4th – 25 Kmph, if not forgotten
d. 4th to 5th – Never, unless anyone reminds them.

3) Both hands will be glued to the steering. This will be at an angle of 45 degrees to each other. Sometimes the left hand goes to the gear stick and comes back in a split second. Resting the left hand in the gear stick is something very dangerous.

4) The process of changing gear from 3rd to 4th begins by lifting the left hand slightly and peeping down to see in which gear the car is rolling.

5) When there’s a sharp turn at low speeds, both hands do a wonderful team work and you can see one hand transferring one part of steering to the other hand gracefully before going down and fetching some more steering from the bottom, which is getting rotated as a result of this entire process.

6) Maximum speed the vehicle reaches is around 60Kmph, sometimes 75Kmph if they get aggressive.

7) In all speeds, the head will be always pointed forward, eyes looking straight to the road no matter whatever happens on the sides and back.

8) In an attempt to switch on the AC, they might switch on the wiper.

9) In an attempt to switch on the wiper, they might change the gear without pressing clutch.

10) Parallel parking means parking the nose first into a space between two cars parked on the side, and never getting it straight.

11) Engine always stalls when they try to take off from a signal, especially when they are the first ones to go.

That’s all I can think of now. Did I miss anything?

Last edited by clevermax : 4th September 2008 at 23:37.
Old 5th September 2008, 03:12   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
There’s this one kind of bad drivers, which is the funniest kind too, and they perform a type of driving which I’d like to call as “Uncle Driving”.

Don’t be under the impression that only very old people behind the wheel of a Premier Padmini do this. You can even spot young chaps wearing sunglasses doing this behind the wheels of even Skodas or Civics!

How ‘Uncle Driving’ can be defined? Well, here is my explanation.

1) While the car moves from standstill, engine is at max revs, clutch will be released very slowly. This is to forcibly avoid stalling the engine.

2) Gear shifting happens in the following pattern:
a. 1st to 2nd – 2 Kmph
b. 2nd to 3rd - 8-12 Kmph
c. 3rd to 4th – 25 Kmph, if not forgotten
d. 4th to 5th – Never, unless anyone reminds them.

3) Both hands will be glued to the steering. This will be at an angle of 45 degrees to each other. Sometimes the left hand goes to the gear stick and comes back in a split second. Resting the left hand in the gear stick is something very dangerous.

4) The process of changing gear from 3rd to 4th begins by lifting the left hand slightly and peeping down to see in which gear the car is rolling.

5) When there’s a sharp turn at low speeds, both hands do a wonderful team work and you can see one hand transferring one part of steering to the other hand gracefully before going down and fetching some more steering from the bottom, which is getting rotated as a result of this entire process.

6) Maximum speed the vehicle reaches is around 60Kmph, sometimes 75Kmph if they get aggressive.

7) In all speeds, the head will be always pointed forward, eyes looking straight to the road no matter whatever happens on the sides and back.

8) In an attempt to switch on the AC, they might switch on the wiper.

9) In an attempt to switch on the wiper, they might change the gear without pressing clutch.

10) Parallel parking means parking the nose first into a space between two cars parked on the side, and never getting it straight.

11) Engine always stalls when they try to take off from a signal, especially when they are the first ones to go.

That’s all I can think of now. Did I miss anything?
agree with you on all the 11 points Clevermax
Old 5th September 2008, 07:55   #445
Senior - BHPian

two more:

12) They overtake other vehicles at the most riskiest situations while not doing so when there is plenty of chances before

13) They want to see the bonnet of the car while driving through difficult stretches.
Old 5th September 2008, 07:57   #446
BHPian

Hope this is the right thread. I drive 25 kms to work and back - Kumaraswamy layout to Electronics City. I take the peripheral roads in Bangalore to avoid jams. Eventhough this increases the distance by 3 kms, it reduces the travel time in half. Except a 200 meter bad patch, the rest of the road is black topped and devoid of craters masquerading as potholes and I encounter only one traffic signal.

The only downside is there are 50+ speedbrakers. Last night, when I was driving home, this Opel Corsa overtook me. I guess the guy was new to the road and was not aware of the speedbreakers. I was right behind him for the next 15 kms.

The way he took the speedbreakers was amusing. He drove in a 'S' pattern and took the speedbreakers from an angle instead of going straight over them. As he approached the speedbreaker, he would veer to the extreme left of the road and then start driving back to the centre of the road and cross the speed breaker at an angle. The moment he crossed, by which time he was at 45 degrees to the direction of the road, he would veer left again and straighten up, only to approach the next speed breaker.

Is this just bad driving or is there a rationale behind this? He was infringing the path of the vehicles behind him as well as the path of on coming traffic. Can someone explain this way of crossing speed breakers?

Cheers,

Rajan
Old 5th September 2008, 10:18   #447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Can someone explain this way of crossing speed breakers?
Enjoys getting humped four times instead of only twice, LOL?!!

In any case, since he's obstructing others, this would have to be called bad driving.
Old 5th September 2008, 10:24   #448
Team-BHP Support

PatchyBoy thats a method used by vehicles with low ground clearance to cross tall speed breakers.

But I dont think a Corsa needs to do all that for so many speed breakers.

Maybe the guy was new to driving this car and was being over cautious.
Old 5th September 2008, 12:03   #449
Distinguished - BHPian

It may sound funny to people. But, that method is accurate way of crossing the speedbreaker that is if you don't want to reduce speed. If you approach the speedbreaker in a straight line then you need to considerably reduce the speed.

Even i cross the speedbreakers in a similar manner but try not to overdo as you were describing about the corsa guy ( veer complete left then come back to center). A little diagonal angle certainly helps!
Old 5th September 2008, 12:09   #450
BHPian

The worst part was this guy was slowing completely to crawling speeds and driving all over the place.

Cheers,

Rajan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks