Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2008, 10:28   #1
BHPian

Is skoda justified in giving Airbags and no ABS in base variant?

Title says it all. I know there is already a thread on Fabia Petrol but as this topic is different, wanted to start a new thread.

Details (Extracted from http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-launched.html)

Fabia Petrol 1.2 68bhp "Classic" 6,10,000Rs On road Mumbai
Features :
Power Steering and Windows
Airbags (NO ABS)
Defogger
Stereo System
Wheel Caps
Adjustable Steering

Safety wise, Is it a good decision? I was thinking that ABS would help in stopping the car earlier and would result in fewer instances where Airbags are needed. Am I missing something very obvious here?
Old 4th April 2008, 10:41   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Airbags or not, an ABS is invaluable and will slowly become standard on all Indian cars. Its only a matter of time before the Fabia offers it on all versions too.

To answer the thread question in the simplest manner : NO! Skoda has guts to overprice the Fabia in the first place, and then sell it without ABS as standard.
Old 4th April 2008, 10:49   #3
BHPian

Airbags can save lives (atleast the front occupants as they provide only 2 airbags) with or without ABS. For instance, there was a recent accident in the Bangalore - Chennai highway where a NHC collided with a bus that suddenly came from the opposite direction - all occupants passed away. If there had been airbags atleast 2 may have been saved; ABS or no ABS.

Cheers,
Old 4th April 2008, 10:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

yaar, to my mind that is a good compromise. Take delhi gurgaon expressway. atleast once a fortnight i see a decent pileup. I am not sure how much ABS would work in busy city expressway situations (where you have little space to maneuver) - but airbags are surely lifesaving. but yes, ideally both.
Old 4th April 2008, 11:01   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
I was thinking that ABS would help in stopping the car earlier and would result in fewer instances where Airbags are needed. Am I missing something very obvious here?
ABS does not reduce the braking distance. It only helps in maintaining a straight line when trying to swerve and avoid obstacles. In other words, it helps in preventing the car from fishtailing and resulting in a loss of control.

While having ABS and Airbags would be ideal, having one of them is always better than having none. In the real world, having ABS would always be preferable than having airbags. The reason is simple - would you prefer having ABS and avoid crashing, or would you prefer having Airbags and getting out of a crash without injuries?

Cheers,

Rajan
Old 4th April 2008, 11:43   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
ABS does not reduce the braking distance. It only helps in maintaining a straight line when trying to swerve and avoid obstacles. In other words, it helps in preventing the car from fishtailing and resulting in a loss of control.

My Mistake. Don't know what I was thinking when typing.

Quote:

While having ABS and Airbags would be ideal, having one of them is always better than having none. In the real world, having ABS would always be preferable than having airbags. The reason is simple - would you prefer having ABS and avoid crashing, or would you prefer having Airbags and getting out of a crash without injuries?
agree with you. I was trying to make the same point. Thanks for using the right words.
Old 4th April 2008, 11:51   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

i like the fact that airbags are standard. I know many of us here would like to drive faaaast on our 1 1/2 lane highways and avoid crashes by depending on ABS and lot of good luck.

two vehicles approaching each other at 40KMH are effectively crashing at a relative speed of 80KMPH. ABS has no role to play at these speeds. it is time people realize that ABS is just a toy for aggressive drivers and it is actually the seat belts and airbags that offer real safety.

Quote:
seat belts, airbags, ABS... thats is the order in which safety equipment must be fitted.. and bought.

just because every other manufacturer has been giving ABS at a lower equipment level than airbags does not make it 'correct'. cost-effective, but not 'correct'. if you are not convinced - do some reading up.
Quote:
Unfortunately in India, airbags are equated with "segment" of the car. Even on this forum, you hear everyone craving for ABS but not for airbags. The mighty corolla HE comes with ABS but not airbags. People wonder why Fabia comes with airbags but no ABS. Go figure.
Old 4th April 2008, 12:07   #8
BHPian

I am not denying the role of Airbags. I just wanted to know whether Airbags would be used less frequently when we have ABS. Head on collisions with or without ABS still need airbags. Hope this clears up the confusion.

OR

Let me put it this way. Would ABS not avoid some situations where you would need Airbags?

Last edited by windsurfer : 4th April 2008 at 12:10.
Old 4th April 2008, 12:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
i like the fact that airbags are standard. I know many of us here would like to drive faaaast on our 1 1/2 lane highways and avoid crashes by depending on ABS and lot of good luck.
Some time back, I had also posted a link which supported this statement. ABS is good but has very little impact. What is more important is airbags, seat belts, and a new development-ESC.

Most important, you can have all the equipment, but the driver is a nut behind the wheel (remember Princess Diana).

Finally, Skoda can offer or exclude anything. The customer is not being held at gun point. He can choose based on the value perceived.
Old 4th April 2008, 12:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

Take it this way - There can be different reasons behind accidents. Whatever the reason is, the presence of airbags can be a life saver (if deployed) during most accidents (including wheel locking in a non-ABS car). So, I would concur the significance of airbags more than ABS.
Old 4th April 2008, 12:33   #11
BHPian

So it's loud and clear - Airbags over ABS. I don't mind paying a premium for Airbags. Indian roads are certainly far more unsafe, especially highways than any other developed countries from where most manufacturers hail.

All of us know that, but manufacturers continue to put ABS ahead of Airbags, any reason why?

Cheers,
Old 4th April 2008, 12:47   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
All of us know that, but manufacturers continue to put ABS ahead of Airbags, any reason why?
Cheers,
Good question. Could cost be the reason?
Old 4th April 2008, 14:11   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post

Airbags are one-time use, so people don't like it
Old 4th April 2008, 18:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

When they dont give ABS air bags are a must,lol.Jokes apart adding ABS to a vehicle is less costly than an air bag-IMO.
ram
Old 4th April 2008, 18:24   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
When they dont give ABS air bags are a must,lol.Jokes apart adding ABS to a vehicle is less costly than an air bag-IMO.
ram
. Also it is possible to test ABS. You do not really want to test airbags, do you?

Cheers,

Rajan

Most Viewed