Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2010, 14:04   #91
BHPian

In Kerala, I'd say the most common reason for accidents is poor road infrastructure and careless driving/ parking. People give no respect to traffic rules, and are very complacent in road manners. 4 days ago I had a bike accident that was caused from mere careless driving - by two other drivers.

The guy on bike who was riding in front of me by the left side suddenly turned right, seeing a shop at the right side, without any indicators or signal. I slowed down, and it didn't need a sudden braking to escape from him. I just thought everything was okay and continued stride, but in a moment I was hit from behind by a car and was soon rolling and sliding on the road. The car's driver was actually chatting freely with his companion(according to his own 'came-by-mistake' words later) and didn't notice things going on before him.

There was almost nothing I could do, as only after my hands were off the handle in the sudden thrust I was able to understand something is going on behind me. My bike toppled over 2 times or so, and I lay near the center line of NH-49. Soon people crowded and took me to hospital. I got a hard hit by the foot rest or handle on my chest. X- Ray reports said I was Ok, though I had some pains here and there.

Had either of these guys -the biker in front or the car driver behind been a bit careful, I wouldn't have to be thrown unprotected at the center of the busy highway. Since I had a good helmet and jacket on, there was no visible bruises or bleeding. As soon as I was just up and standing there, the other driver started the bargain, like 'aren't you ok?' 'I'll pay for the bike's damaged mud guard' etc., to busily settle the matter and escape. They take it a commonplace incident if there's no casualty. It's the stupid practice here. Accident simply caused by INATTENTIVE driving.

Most Viewed